Indianapolis coverage

Contributor

Indianapolis coverage

I have been having trouble with failed calls in the Indianapolis/Carmel, Indiana area.  I know six other people with AT&T who have told me the same thing.  Sometimes it will go straight to voicemail and other times it just fails.  This has been happening to me for at least a week or two.  Has anyone else reported any problems in this area?
Message 1 of 13 (337 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Indianapolis coverage

Have you called to report the problem??  That would be the only way to know for sure if it's a system problem and/or outage.
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
Message 2 of 13 (325 Views)
Scholar

As a long time customer of AT&T in the Carmel area, I have experienced the issue as well. In fact, we're getting to the point that getting a signal (despite 12 bars and 3G) around Carmel High School or CCPL is often impossible after school lets out (3-6 pm)

One used to see this during Christmas shopping season around shopping centers, but this is getting to be common on a daily basis. A good sign that more capacity is needed...

Message 3 of 13 (321 Views)

Where in Carmel? I live in Carmel and never have any issues.
Message 4 of 13 (311 Views)
Scholar

pilotoenrique wrote:
Where in Carmel? I live in Carmel and never have any issues.

Carmel Library & Carmel High School area, 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM. 12 bars, 3G and then some, and can't take or receive calls to save your life while all Carmel HS kids are chatting/texting away after school. Happens with my Nokia e71x, my student's Samsung Eternity, and lots of her friends' AT&T phones.

Message 5 of 13 (304 Views)

Interesting. I am hardly in those areas, so I cant comment on the coverage. But, in my opinion, the coverage in Carmel as a whole is better than Verizon has. But Verizon's coverage as a whole is better than AT&T in the US.

I have noticed a few failed calls driving in the 116th & Meridian area close to Clarian North hospital... but other than that the service has been good.

If Verizon will ever come out with an iPhone, that is not locked down with all their custom software, I would go back to Verizon.

Verizons service and prices are much better... much more for your money. And their customer service blows AT&T out of the water.

Message 6 of 13 (297 Views)
Scholar

Everyone needs to take action and call CS to file a trouble ticket, the sooner you make AT&T aware of the problem, the sooner they will fix it.
Message 7 of 13 (287 Views)
Scholar

pilotoenrique wrote:

If Verizon will ever come out with an iPhone, that is not locked down with all their custom software, I would go back to Verizon.

Verizons service and prices are much better... much more for your money. And their customer service blows AT&T out of the water.

Verizon is not GSM. I travel overseas once in a while and GSM is a must.

Also, CDMA is evil.

Case closed :-)

Message 8 of 13 (283 Views)

No, Verizon is not GSM. I travel overseas as well.

BUT.. they have phones that do GSM and CDMA.  Why do you feel CDMA is evil? In my opinion, it is faster and the sound quality is better.

Message 9 of 13 (278 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Actually HSPA (3.6mbit up to 42mbit) is faster than CDMA (EVDO rev. A), even in PCWorld's recent speedtest found that AT&T's HSPA was faster than everyone else on average. Besides, what tech the network is (EVDO Rev.A vs. HSPA 3.6mbit) doesn't actually determine what a network's average speeds are...unless you start pushing HSPA 7.2 to 21mbit and have the backhaul to support it..

And i've found GSM/HSPA to have a fuller more natural sound than CDMA....both can sound like crap, and both can sound excellent but i've observed AMR based codecs used in GSM/UMTS to have a more fuller and natural sound.

Message Edited by zephxiii on 03-10-2010 06:12:16 AM
Message 10 of 13 (269 Views)
Contributor

Yes, coverage is expecially bad from 130th to 146th street!!!!
Message 11 of 13 (202 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

pilotoenrique wrote:

No, Verizon is not GSM. I travel overseas as well.

BUT.. they have phones that do GSM and CDMA.  Why do you feel CDMA is evil? In my opinion, it is faster and the sound quality is better.

No disagreement that CDMA as implemented in the US is technically very good. As someone who has to write software that deals with CDMA and/or GSM, let's just say that I have more than my share of insight of the industry (including some pretty major players in the CDMA area) and do not appreciate the direction taken in the US to allow different incompatible system... I was doing the same thing 10-11 years ago when all we had was CDPD (let's hear it for Xyxel !!!!) and had hoped that a decade should be ample time to standardize and offer good, affordable, universal service (for data especially). Well, that has not happened either... Instead we have relatively expensive data and especially texting,limited coverage, and bizzare rules with no clear direction as to where we're headed. Put another way, I would have settled for 2G in every square inch of the country for $10/month... Instead, AT&T's 3G deployment is killing their 2G coverage (drive north on US31 and see the phone try to latch to 3G three countries south... and you can't disable 3G in many phones...)

In years past there were some 'practical' reasons such as one could get better phones in GSM land because of better prices and more competition - now that we're back to a duopoly, phone deals are a thing of the past as well...

Message Edited by turbo46032 on 03-12-2010 02:27:48 PM
Message 12 of 13 (193 Views)

[ Edited ]

berng wrote:
Yes, coverage is expecially bad from 130th to 146th street!!!!

Driving north on Meridian St?? I was just there and on the phone. No problems as always in that area.

Message Edited by pilotoenrique on 03-12-2010 07:09:24 PM
Message 13 of 13 (183 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.