Incoming port blocking

Contributor

Incoming port blocking

I have an Option GT PCMCIA card, and need to be able to accept incoming VNC (port 5900) and LPD (port 515) connections. It appears AT&T is blocking all incoming ports, per a ShieldsUP test. My Windows Firewall and TCP Port Filtering are disabled; a wired connection works fine. Are they really blocking the ports? Or is there some other way to unblock them?

AT&T Tech support both via Chat and via calling them, don't understand what incoming port blocking means, so I'm hoping one of you knows the actual answer. Blocking ports is a deal breaker for me! Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4 (5,296 Views)
LCT
Scholar

Re: Incoming port blocking

Elevator Fan wrote:
I have an Option GT PCMCIA card, and need to be able to accept incoming VNC (port 5900) and LPD (port 515) connections. It appears AT&T is blocking all incoming ports, per a ShieldsUP test. My Windows Firewall and TCP Port Filtering are disabled; a wired connection works fine. Are they really blocking the ports? Or is there some other way to unblock them?

AT&T Tech support both via Chat and via calling them, don't understand what incoming port blocking means, so I'm hoping one of you knows the actual answer. Blocking ports is a deal breaker for me! Thanks in advance.

Long story short AT&T is not blocking your incoming ports.  You do however need a service called mobile terminated data to do what you want. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (5,289 Views)
Master

Should also add that AT&T uses NAT for addressing once the connection leaves the network.  Your external IP will change on a constant basis.
Message 3 of 4 (5,261 Views)
Highlighted
Master

To hopefully try to clarify what has been has been posted, the normal connection that a consumer account gets is through NAT. No way to open any incoming ports. You'll need to speak to business sales in order to get that type of access.
Message 4 of 4 (5,245 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.