Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 9, 2008
7:26:19 PM
View profile
Incoming port blocking
I have an Option GT PCMCIA card, and need to be able to accept incoming VNC (port 5900) and LPD (port 515) connections. It appears AT&T is blocking all incoming ports, per a ShieldsUP test. My Windows Firewall and TCP Port Filtering are disabled; a wired connection works fine. Are they really blocking the ports? Or is there some other way to unblock them?

AT&T Tech support both via Chat and via calling them, don't understand what incoming port blocking means, so I'm hoping one of you knows the actual answer. Blocking ports is a deal breaker for me! Thanks in advance.
I have an Option GT PCMCIA card, and need to be able to accept incoming VNC (port 5900) and LPD (port 515) connections. It appears AT&T is blocking all incoming ports, per a ShieldsUP test. My Windows Firewall and TCP Port Filtering are disabled; a wired connection works fine. Are they really blocking the ports? Or is there some other way to unblock them?

AT&T Tech support both via Chat and via calling them, don't understand what incoming port blocking means, so I'm hoping one of you knows the actual answer. Blocking ports is a deal breaker for me! Thanks in advance.

Incoming port blocking

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2008 9:14:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

Elevator Fan wrote:

Long story short AT&T is not blocking your incoming ports.  You do however need a service called mobile terminated data to do what you want. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Elevator Fan wrote:

Long story short AT&T is not blocking your incoming ports.  You do however need a service called mobile terminated data to do what you want. 

Re: Incoming port blocking

2 of 4 (5,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2008 12:42:54 PM
(0)
Master
Should also add that AT&T uses NAT for addressing once the connection leaves the network.  Your external IP will change on a constant basis.
Should also add that AT&T uses NAT for addressing once the connection leaves the network.  Your external IP will change on a constant basis.

3 of 4 (5,218 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2008 6:59:31 PM
(0)
Master
To hopefully try to clarify what has been has been posted, the normal connection that a consumer account gets is through NAT. No way to open any incoming ports. You'll need to speak to business sales in order to get that type of access.
To hopefully try to clarify what has been has been posted, the normal connection that a consumer account gets is through NAT. No way to open any incoming ports. You'll need to speak to business sales in order to get that type of access.

4 of 4 (5,202 Views)