Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 16, 2009
7:55:33 AM
View profile
In network vs out of network help needed

Is there any method on the iPhone or from an application or from AT&T to track in-network vs out-of-network data useage?  I got the dreaded message from AT&T that I have too much out of network data useage.  I know when I am using out of network, of course but I'm looking for a method to track my numbers.  I think I'm going to have to reset my data use stats every month and find a method to keep better track.  I don't want them to shut down my out of network use and I think that's the next step if I don't get a better balance on this. 

I realize I've probably made the problem worse because mainly when I use the AT&T network I've been usng wi-fi but I may have to start using 3G just so my balance between in-network vs out-of-network useage is better.  Thanks for any suggestions.  When I'm in the out of network location I have no wi-fi alternative so that's not a solution.

Is there any method on the iPhone or from an application or from AT&T to track in-network vs out-of-network data useage?  I got the dreaded message from AT&T that I have too much out of network data useage.  I know when I am using out of network, of course but I'm looking for a method to track my numbers.  I think I'm going to have to reset my data use stats every month and find a method to keep better track.  I don't want them to shut down my out of network use and I think that's the next step if I don't get a better balance on this. 

I realize I've probably made the problem worse because mainly when I use the AT&T network I've been usng wi-fi but I may have to start using 3G just so my balance between in-network vs out-of-network useage is better.  Thanks for any suggestions.  When I'm in the out of network location I have no wi-fi alternative so that's not a solution.

In network vs out of network help needed

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 8:08:10 AM
(0)
Master
The following applies to any areas that show Partner coverage.  You can have a free feature code added to your account called 4EON which will allow your phone display to show "off network" so that you can know for sure when you are using a partner network.  Note this may not work on an iPhone.
Here is your off network allowance:
Voice Usage: If your minutes of use (including unlimited services) on other carrier networks ("off-net usage" during any two consecutive months exceeds your off-net usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your service, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net usage. Your off-net usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 750 minutes or 40% of the Anytime Minutes included with your plan. AT&T will provide notice that it intends to take any of the above actions, and you may terminate the agreement.
Data Terms:
AT&T may at its option terminate your wireless service or access to data Services, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for offnet usage. Your offnet usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included with your plan and for messaging plans the lesser of 3000 messages or 50% of the messages included with your plan.
The following applies to any areas that show Partner coverage.  You can have a free feature code added to your account called 4EON which will allow your phone display to show "off network" so that you can know for sure when you are using a partner network.  Note this may not work on an iPhone.
Here is your off network allowance:
Voice Usage: If your minutes of use (including unlimited services) on other carrier networks ("off-net usage" during any two consecutive months exceeds your off-net usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your service, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net usage. Your off-net usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 750 minutes or 40% of the Anytime Minutes included with your plan. AT&T will provide notice that it intends to take any of the above actions, and you may terminate the agreement.
Data Terms:
AT&T may at its option terminate your wireless service or access to data Services, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for offnet usage. Your offnet usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included with your plan and for messaging plans the lesser of 3000 messages or 50% of the messages included with your plan.

Re: In network vs out of network help needed

2 of 12 (5,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 8:19:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

They must have added the off network icon to my phone, because I noticed yesterday that I saw it.  The person on the phone told me 40% of the data useage...I note what you posted indicates 20%.  But my question is still not answered...I have always known when I am off network.  What I am looking for is a way to track the data useage statistics of off vs. on network.  AT&T has no service at all in an area that I spend time so any cell use there is edge on an off network partnership.  I've had my iPhone since September and this is the first time I got this message so I must generally be within their limits with no problem.  I think the fact that I spent more time in this location earlier in the month is what did it this month but now I'm really worried about going over the limits again which is why I'm looking for a method to track. 

They must have added the off network icon to my phone, because I noticed yesterday that I saw it.  The person on the phone told me 40% of the data useage...I note what you posted indicates 20%.  But my question is still not answered...I have always known when I am off network.  What I am looking for is a way to track the data useage statistics of off vs. on network.  AT&T has no service at all in an area that I spend time so any cell use there is edge on an off network partnership.  I've had my iPhone since September and this is the first time I got this message so I must generally be within their limits with no problem.  I think the fact that I spent more time in this location earlier in the month is what did it this month but now I'm really worried about going over the limits again which is why I'm looking for a method to track. 

3 of 12 (5,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 9:55:56 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by DWC1 on Jun 16, 2009 at 9:58:03 AM

judygr64 wrote:

The person on the phone told me 40% of the data useage...I note what you posted indicates 20%. 

I've had my iPhone since September and this is the first time I got this message so I must generally be within their limits with no problem. 

1- It's not just 20% since you can't calculate 20% of unlimited use.   It's the lesser of 20% or 6 Megabytes.   This means you cannot use more that 6 Megs off network which is easy to do in just one browsing session on the iphone.  The 40% not to exceed 750 they quoted you is for voice mins not data.

2- If you are now seeing this message it means that they have noticed over a period of months that you have been going over your off network allowance. If you don't conform to the off network rules your next message is likely to be a termination of service letter.  This message typically only appears when a user is at risk of being cut off.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 06-16-2009 12:58:03 PM

judygr64 wrote:

The person on the phone told me 40% of the data useage...I note what you posted indicates 20%. 

I've had my iPhone since September and this is the first time I got this message so I must generally be within their limits with no problem. 

1- It's not just 20% since you can't calculate 20% of unlimited use.   It's the lesser of 20% or 6 Megabytes.   This means you cannot use more that 6 Megs off network which is easy to do in just one browsing session on the iphone.  The 40% not to exceed 750 they quoted you is for voice mins not data.

2- If you are now seeing this message it means that they have noticed over a period of months that you have been going over your off network allowance. If you don't conform to the off network rules your next message is likely to be a termination of service letter.  This message typically only appears when a user is at risk of being cut off.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 06-16-2009 12:58:03 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 12 (5,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 10:01:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks so much for your response.  I did catch the 6MB after I responded.  The AT&T rep I spoke to yesterday gave me such different info.  He told me not to worry about a first notice and went into great detail about the 40% limit!  I guess I'll have to use the phone only to quickly check messages when I'm there, or not at all! 

I'm a very long time AT&T/Cingluar/AT&T customer and I sure don't want to lose my service.  I'm so disappointed that AT&T has never gotten service to that part of AZ.  The service at home for me is great.  Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Thanks so much for your response.  I did catch the 6MB after I responded.  The AT&T rep I spoke to yesterday gave me such different info.  He told me not to worry about a first notice and went into great detail about the 40% limit!  I guess I'll have to use the phone only to quickly check messages when I'm there, or not at all! 

I'm a very long time AT&T/Cingluar/AT&T customer and I sure don't want to lose my service.  I'm so disappointed that AT&T has never gotten service to that part of AZ.  The service at home for me is great.  Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

5 of 12 (5,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 10:13:19 AM
(0)
Master

judygr64 wrote:

So I guess it's not possible for you to use wi-fi where you're mostly off-network?

Perhaps you should consider getting a cheap phone ($40 nokia at no-commitment) for when you travel to that bad place in AZ? Not as slick as the iPhone, but the data charges would be minimal.

You may also want to consider a Blackberry as a backup.

BB's use minimal data for email checking and such. You would just have to always call AT&T when you're switching between them.

It's a hassle, but it should minimize your off-network use. The problem is that the iPhone is a data hog, practically even when it's idle!

judygr64 wrote:

So I guess it's not possible for you to use wi-fi where you're mostly off-network?

Perhaps you should consider getting a cheap phone ($40 nokia at no-commitment) for when you travel to that bad place in AZ? Not as slick as the iPhone, but the data charges would be minimal.

You may also want to consider a Blackberry as a backup.

BB's use minimal data for email checking and such. You would just have to always call AT&T when you're switching between them.

It's a hassle, but it should minimize your off-network use. The problem is that the iPhone is a data hog, practically even when it's idle!

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

6 of 12 (5,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 10:26:55 AM
(0)
Master
I'm not sure if works domestically but you can try switching the data roaming to off in your network settings.
I'm not sure if works domestically but you can try switching the data roaming to off in your network settings.

7 of 12 (5,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2009 11:56:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks all for your help.  I've been so dismayed about this today.  I do keep data roaming off, but I don't believe it's roaming because of the partner agreement.  No, I have no wi-fi available at this location.  Even the closest McDonald's and Starbucks won't be of any help since they are not served by AT&T.  I know a Verizon card will work there because I had friend who used hers there! 

I can be pretty sure not to use any data since I'm aware of this, but I won't be happy about it!  My husband's contract is done with AT&T and he never did get an iPhone so maybe we'll have to give up the family plan and send him over to that other network so we have the best of both worlds.  It's not my preference and it will cost us more I'm sure to have two single plans and no family plan.  My problem is he is always using my iPhone up there to check websites, etc.  I guess we need to stop.

I did get this email yesterday from AT&T:

"Dear XXXX (I've blanked it out)

Our systems have detected that you are transmitting a substantial amount of data while roaming in areas not directly served by AT&T. The Terms and Conditions of our data plans (including unlimited plans) provide an "off-net usage" allowance that is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included in your plan.

To assist you with knowing when you are using another carrier's network, we have changed the label on your wireless data device screen to display "Off Network". Please be cognizant of this network label and work to limit your data transmission while outside the AT&T data network boundaries. The AT&T data network coverage map is available at www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer.

We are available to answer any questions you have by contacting us at 800-331-0500 and referencing keyword: "DRC_037".

Thank you

AT&T

DRC_037E"

Darn, I sure wish they had coverage in that part of the state. And it annoys me that the rep gave me such bad info.  He knew we were talking about data not voice minutes.  My use of minutes is no problem at all.  I don't use a lot of voice minutes anywhere and I can easily be sure my use there is under 40%. 

Thanks all for your help.  I've been so dismayed about this today.  I do keep data roaming off, but I don't believe it's roaming because of the partner agreement.  No, I have no wi-fi available at this location.  Even the closest McDonald's and Starbucks won't be of any help since they are not served by AT&T.  I know a Verizon card will work there because I had friend who used hers there! 

I can be pretty sure not to use any data since I'm aware of this, but I won't be happy about it!  My husband's contract is done with AT&T and he never did get an iPhone so maybe we'll have to give up the family plan and send him over to that other network so we have the best of both worlds.  It's not my preference and it will cost us more I'm sure to have two single plans and no family plan.  My problem is he is always using my iPhone up there to check websites, etc.  I guess we need to stop.

I did get this email yesterday from AT&T:

"Dear XXXX (I've blanked it out)

Our systems have detected that you are transmitting a substantial amount of data while roaming in areas not directly served by AT&T. The Terms and Conditions of our data plans (including unlimited plans) provide an "off-net usage" allowance that is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included in your plan.

To assist you with knowing when you are using another carrier's network, we have changed the label on your wireless data device screen to display "Off Network". Please be cognizant of this network label and work to limit your data transmission while outside the AT&T data network boundaries. The AT&T data network coverage map is available at www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer.

We are available to answer any questions you have by contacting us at 800-331-0500 and referencing keyword: "DRC_037".

Thank you

AT&T

DRC_037E"

Darn, I sure wish they had coverage in that part of the state. And it annoys me that the rep gave me such bad info.  He knew we were talking about data not voice minutes.  My use of minutes is no problem at all.  I don't use a lot of voice minutes anywhere and I can easily be sure my use there is under 40%. 

8 of 12 (5,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 8:04:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is this something new, or due to recent changes?

I got my first overage notice last month.  I made a conscious effort to restrict my useage at home and my local areas as much as possible since getting the first notice, but got another one today.  I have lived in this location for over three years and have actually used my phone less in the past few months than I had been, and I never got any notices before.  I am seriously considering just canceling my AT&T service and going with Verizon since they are going to carry the iphones now and have better coverage in northeastern areas of PA.

I got my first overage notice last month.  I made a conscious effort to restrict my useage at home and my local areas as much as possible since getting the first notice, but got another one today.  I have lived in this location for over three years and have actually used my phone less in the past few months than I had been, and I never got any notices before.  I am seriously considering just canceling my AT&T service and going with Verizon since they are going to carry the iphones now and have better coverage in northeastern areas of PA.

9 of 12 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 10:25:58 AM
(0)
Master

starr67 wrote:

This is something old, check the dates on the posts in this thread.  Call ATT and discuss with them where you are using your phone.  They can also enable a feature on your SIM to enable the displaying of the true network name so that you know if you are on or off the network.  I am trying to recall the name of the feature code; I think it is 4EONS?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

starr67 wrote:

This is something old, check the dates on the posts in this thread.  Call ATT and discuss with them where you are using your phone.  They can also enable a feature on your SIM to enable the displaying of the true network name so that you know if you are on or off the network.  I am trying to recall the name of the feature code; I think it is 4EONS?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 12 (3,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 11:04:04 AM
(0)
Master

youngjm wrote:

I am trying to recall the name of the feature code; I think it is 4EONS?

DCW1 beat you to it, in the second post Smiley Happy

youngjm wrote:

11 of 12 (2,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 11:43:54 AM
(0)
Master

Planet-Ed wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Thanks,

I did not fully read all the previous posts since the new poster dug up an old post.  Other than an S, my mind is not too shabbySmiley Surprised

Planet-Ed wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Thanks,

I did not fully read all the previous posts since the new poster dug up an old post.  Other than an S, my mind is not too shabbySmiley Surprised

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

12 of 12 (2,175 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments