Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 19, 2010
1:28:34 AM
View profile
In-Store iPhone 4 upgrade swap question

After being militantly anti-Apple for a long time, I've finally decided to get an iPhone 4.  I plan on going to an AT&T store and getting the iPhone using my mom's upgrade, then getting it put on my line (we are on a family plan together).  Should there be any problems with this?

Answers are appreciated.  I just want to know whether or not I should expect to run into complications.

After being militantly anti-Apple for a long time, I've finally decided to get an iPhone 4.  I plan on going to an AT&T store and getting the iPhone using my mom's upgrade, then getting it put on my line (we are on a family plan together).  Should there be any problems with this?

Answers are appreciated.  I just want to know whether or not I should expect to run into complications.

In-Store iPhone 4 upgrade swap question

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 2:06:12 AM
(0)
Guru

The main complications would involve the need to activate the phone on the upgrading line before switching it over to yours.  If you mom's line has a smartphone that's grandfathered in from before the data plan requirement, that exception might be removed.  If she has insurance, the insurance may be removed.

I'm not saying those couldn't be fixed after the fact, but those are the issues I'm aware of.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

The main complications would involve the need to activate the phone on the upgrading line before switching it over to yours.  If you mom's line has a smartphone that's grandfathered in from before the data plan requirement, that exception might be removed.  If she has insurance, the insurance may be removed.

I'm not saying those couldn't be fixed after the fact, but those are the issues I'm aware of.

Re: In-Store iPhone 4 upgrade swap question

2 of 11 (1,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 10:32:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

She has a RAZR and no data plan.  So I will have to activate the iPhone on her account with a data plan (the $15 one will work for this), then change the phone over to my line, get another micro SIM card, and remove the data plan from her line.  If I do this all in the span of a few minutes, will I have to pay the $15 for the data plan on her line for a month?  (No big deal if I do).

I've read elsewhere about this process deactivating the SIM card in her phone and having to buy a new one.  This is the part of the process that seems like a headache, so I was really hoping there was a way around it.

Just to be clear, they absolutely have to ACTIVATE the phone on her line before changing it to mine?

She has a RAZR and no data plan.  So I will have to activate the iPhone on her account with a data plan (the $15 one will work for this), then change the phone over to my line, get another micro SIM card, and remove the data plan from her line.  If I do this all in the span of a few minutes, will I have to pay the $15 for the data plan on her line for a month?  (No big deal if I do).

I've read elsewhere about this process deactivating the SIM card in her phone and having to buy a new one.  This is the part of the process that seems like a headache, so I was really hoping there was a way around it.

Just to be clear, they absolutely have to ACTIVATE the phone on her line before changing it to mine?

3 of 11 (1,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 3:33:13 PM
(0)
Guru

Ah, the micro-SIM.  Yes, that could very well be an additional complication. I didn't think about that.  Since the store can't just pop her SIM into the iPhone, you may end up with a dead card.

I don't have much inside knowledge about upgrades, but yes, by my understanding, part of the upgrade process is to activate the phone on the upgraded line.  I've seen somebody post a situation in which this process caused somebody to lose her grandfathered-in status and get a data plan on the old Blackberry she already had.  That situation was resolved after a couple of calls to Customer Care.  I can't seem to formulate the correct search terms to find the thread, though.

The data plan shouldn't be a problem if you're using a RAZR.  I'd recommend calling Customer Care (1-800-331-0500) after a day or two - not too long, so you're acting quickly; but long enough to make sure any automatic changes have been made.  Or if you get a text message about a data plan, call immediately.  Explain that you're not using the iPhone on that line, and you didn't even have it on there for an hour.

Here's something that shouldn't be necessary but would be good backup for your story.  Before you leave the store, you can ask to make sure the system still shows the RAZR's IMEI for her line.  You can also ask the store to leave a note in the billing system explaining what was done and that her line should not have a smartphone data plan.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Ah, the micro-SIM.  Yes, that could very well be an additional complication. I didn't think about that.  Since the store can't just pop her SIM into the iPhone, you may end up with a dead card.

I don't have much inside knowledge about upgrades, but yes, by my understanding, part of the upgrade process is to activate the phone on the upgraded line.  I've seen somebody post a situation in which this process caused somebody to lose her grandfathered-in status and get a data plan on the old Blackberry she already had.  That situation was resolved after a couple of calls to Customer Care.  I can't seem to formulate the correct search terms to find the thread, though.

The data plan shouldn't be a problem if you're using a RAZR.  I'd recommend calling Customer Care (1-800-331-0500) after a day or two - not too long, so you're acting quickly; but long enough to make sure any automatic changes have been made.  Or if you get a text message about a data plan, call immediately.  Explain that you're not using the iPhone on that line, and you didn't even have it on there for an hour.

Here's something that shouldn't be necessary but would be good backup for your story.  Before you leave the store, you can ask to make sure the system still shows the RAZR's IMEI for her line.  You can also ask the store to leave a note in the billing system explaining what was done and that her line should not have a smartphone data plan.

4 of 11 (1,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 6:12:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks.  I just hope the whole process isn't too much of a headache.  I don't want it to kill her SIM card, but if it does, it's easily replaced I guess.  I just want to get the iPhone and switch it to my line.  I have a Nokia E63 and I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.  Hopefully the people at the AT&T Store will be used to the process and know what to do.

Thanks.  I just hope the whole process isn't too much of a headache.  I don't want it to kill her SIM card, but if it does, it's easily replaced I guess.  I just want to get the iPhone and switch it to my line.  I have a Nokia E63 and I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.  Hopefully the people at the AT&T Store will be used to the process and know what to do.

5 of 11 (1,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 9:58:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had an iphone 4 for about 1.5 months.  I would not recommend it at all.  It drops calls all the time whehter holding it or not.  Yes I got the free case.  My 3G was way better.  I am thinking of a Droid.  Other friends of mine that have one, have similar problems.  Just FYI.  If you do get one, I hope you have better luck than I have had.

I have had an iphone 4 for about 1.5 months.  I would not recommend it at all.  It drops calls all the time whehter holding it or not.  Yes I got the free case.  My 3G was way better.  I am thinking of a Droid.  Other friends of mine that have one, have similar problems.  Just FYI.  If you do get one, I hope you have better luck than I have had.

6 of 11 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 10:11:06 PM
(0)
Guru

make sure you are authorized on the account
if you arent, just have your mother call 611 and speak to CSR and have them make you an authorized user

make sure you are authorized on the account
if you arent, just have your mother call 611 and speak to CSR and have them make you an authorized user

7 of 11 (1,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 6:38:36 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:39:55 AM

As mother is the primary account holder and is upgrading your line, she may wish to contact customer service via 611 or in-store and find out about buying an iPhone and swapping lines. They should be able to permit mother to buy the iPhone and changing the codes to make it your iPhone and not hers. However if you are close to your contract renewal, they may allow an early upgrade.

As mother is the primary account holder and is upgrading your line, she may wish to contact customer service via 611 or in-store and find out about buying an iPhone and swapping lines. They should be able to permit mother to buy the iPhone and changing the codes to make it your iPhone and not hers. However if you are close to your contract renewal, they may allow an early upgrade.

[ Edited ]
8 of 11 (1,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 11:55:36 AM
(0)
Professor

Chui wrote:

Years ago, I switched my phone from the Razr2 V9 to the iPhone 3G at the AT&T store, by activating a new line of service and getting the iPhone with it, and then switching it with my line. It was relatively easy. You should have no issues.

Chui wrote:

Years ago, I switched my phone from the Razr2 V9 to the iPhone 3G at the AT&T store, by activating a new line of service and getting the iPhone with it, and then switching it with my line. It was relatively easy. You should have no issues.

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

9 of 11 (1,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 12:51:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am an authorized user on the account, and I have her consent for using her upgrade.

I am an authorized user on the account, and I have her consent for using her upgrade.

10 of 11 (1,689 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 3:15:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

You are making to much work out of this. Just go into an ATT or Best Buy store and tell them what you want to do. I used my wife's upgrade last year for my stolen iphone. It just extended her contract.

BillMc

You are making to much work out of this. Just go into an ATT or Best Buy store and tell them what you want to do. I used my wife's upgrade last year for my stolen iphone. It just extended her contract.

BillMc

11 of 11 (443 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments