Impossible to activate Go-phone SIM card

Impossible to activate Go-phone SIM card

Hello,

I just received my AT&T U2800A phone, and I would like to activate the Go-phone SIM card that came with it. I followed the step-by-step procedure described in the "Quick Start Guide" (install SIM card, insert battery, charge phone), but the activation step that follows this fails.

According to the guide, in order to use the 10 cent/minute plan, I should type *123*99999*03# and the "Send" key (where I substitute my ZIP code for 99999). This results in the following message: "Supplementary Services ERROR.. Please restart. Enter *123*ZIP code*Rate Plan Number#." Restarting the phone and/or retrying to type the activation sequence many times lead to no improvement.

Since the "Quick Start Guide" offers the alternative to activate the Go-Phone SIM card on the AT&T website, I tried my luck there, but also here there are insurmountable stumbling blocks in my way. In the section "Personal Information", I typed my email address into the two fields "E-mail Address" and "E-mail Adress Confirmation". The first field works fine, but for reasons best known to themselves, AT&T do not allow the "@"-character to be typed into the confirmation field! Sadly, my email address does contain an "@", and AT&T helpfully remark "GP016: Email Address and Email Address Confirmation does not match" (their grammar, not mine), and it seems impossible to proceed with activation.

So then, how can I activate this SIM card now? I will be very grateful for any advice or comments from readers who have insight into these things!

Michael

Message 1 of 6 (7,200 Views)

Re: Impossible to activate Go-phone SIM card

Wow!  Michael.  A deadly embrace.  Not nice.

Aside from running to the corporate store or calling Customer Care at 800-331-0500 for assistance in setting up your new SIM, I would clear first my browser cache, and try again.  (Or try a secondary browser you may have installed already, like Mozilla instead of IE, or whatever.)

Not sure, but it almost appears that the information AT&T has for your email address does not match the one you are providing for personal information.  (The @ sign is an imperative on all mail Internet addresses, so that cannot be.)

Good luck.

Message 2 of 6 (7,187 Views)
Master

I would contact customer service for assistance (that's what I've had to do the last couple of times I was activating a SIM card anyway due to issues within the on-line activation process).

Call 1-800-331-0500 and if you are transferred to the GoPhone automated voice response system, state "more options" at the first prompt, then "customer service" at the next prompts - after a couple the system will connect you with a live rep who can activate your SIM.  You can also reach a customer service rep by not entering your phone number when you first call the above number - just state "customer service" at any menu prompts.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 6 (7,185 Views)

Many thanks to both of you for your advice! What worked in the end was that I went to an AT&T store, and the customer service person exchanged the SIM card for a new one and activated it right away.

Now my phone works, but there is another problem with it - which I'd better put into another thread to keep things organized!

Thank you very much again for your help!

Michael

Message 4 of 6 (7,139 Views)
Master

best_cabbage wrote:

Many thanks to both of you for your advice! What worked in the end was that I went to an AT&T store, and the customer service person exchanged the SIM card for a new one and activated it right away.

Now my phone works, but there is another problem with it - which I'd better put into another thread to keep things organized!

Michael

Glad to hear they got you fixed up - at least re: the SIM activation! Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 6 (7,135 Views)

best_cabbage wrote:

Michael

Michael,  glad we were of help.

As a note, I do avoid the Customer Care number (the IVR) like the plague -- hme83, who has great suggestions, always,  has been successful using the IVR.

But you went to the corporate retail store, which is exactly what I would have done, as last resort.  I try to do things myself via the web, but when things go belly-up, it is nice to know that I live in a city where T-Mobile has point-of-sale outlets.

Message 6 of 6 (7,122 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.