Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 3, 2011
8:46:13 PM
Important reminder: Unauthorized iPhone unlocking ? Where is the Authorized Iphone unlocking?

How is it legal that an off contract Iphone in the usa won't be unlocked by ATT?  Can someone show me a legal document or court case regarding this? Thanks

How is it legal that an off contract Iphone in the usa won't be unlocked by ATT?  Can someone show me a legal document or court case regarding this? Thanks

Important reminder: Unauthorized iPhone unlocking ? Where is the Authorized Iphone unlocking?

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 9:19:49 PM
(0)
Master

digitallysick wrote:

There is no law requiring them to unlock it and there is no law that says they can't unlock it....How can anyone show you a law or court case that does not exist?  It is the policy of Apple and/or ATT that iPhones purchased in the USA will not be unlocked even outside of a contract.

What are you looking for?  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

digitallysick wrote:

There is no law requiring them to unlock it and there is no law that says they can't unlock it....How can anyone show you a law or court case that does not exist?  It is the policy of Apple and/or ATT that iPhones purchased in the USA will not be unlocked even outside of a contract.

What are you looking for?  

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Important reminder: Unauthorized iPhone unlocking ? Where is the Authorized Iphone unlocking?

2 of 26 (2,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 9:48:04 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:51:21 PM

digitallysick wrote:

You need to be more specific about what your actually talking about.  There are two types of unlocking:

Subsidy - Allows your phone to work on other carriers on other carriers using a different SIM card

Jailbreaking - Allows you to run unauthorized applications.

As stated there is nothing mandating that ATT or Apple must provide a subsidy unlock for the iPhone so it can be used on other carriers. 

Unlocking via Jailbraking like this announcement only means its against Apples licensing agreement and by doing so you will void any warranty and support on the device. (although they are fighting the ruling below to the DMCA)

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Important-reminder-Unauthorized-iPhone-unlocking/td-p/1628240 

Thats the unauthorized.

However The Librarian of Congress and the Copyright Office ruled that jailbraking is no longer illegal per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).  

While that is now legal, Apple is not required to provide support for the device anymore thus the reason for the warning to ensure people understand the risk they are taking and the support they will no longer receive.

digitallysick wrote:

You need to be more specific about what your actually talking about.  There are two types of unlocking:

Subsidy - Allows your phone to work on other carriers on other carriers using a different SIM card

Jailbreaking - Allows you to run unauthorized applications.

As stated there is nothing mandating that ATT or Apple must provide a subsidy unlock for the iPhone so it can be used on other carriers. 

Unlocking via Jailbraking like this announcement only means its against Apples licensing agreement and by doing so you will void any warranty and support on the device. (although they are fighting the ruling below to the DMCA)

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Important-reminder-Unauthorized-iPhone-unlocking/td-p/1628240 

Thats the unauthorized.

However The Librarian of Congress and the Copyright Office ruled that jailbraking is no longer illegal per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).  

While that is now legal, Apple is not required to provide support for the device anymore thus the reason for the warning to ensure people understand the risk they are taking and the support they will no longer receive.

Re: Important reminder: Unauthorized iPhone unlocking ? Where is the Authorized Iphone unlocking?

[ Edited ]
3 of 26 (2,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 10:21:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Once again, as clearly stated, Unlocking (not jailbreaking)

How can ATT legally control a phone that I own in full without providing an unlock code. So I can use it with sim card carriers in other countries . 

Canada and the UK , and I would guess most every other country that carries the Iphone has the unlocked versions. I believe it is Against the law in the uk to sell locked phones , or to refuse unlocks. 

It would be as if I sold you a car, and then told you that you can only drive it on 1 road.  Terms and condtions are meaningless once I own in full a product.  Another company or person can't control what I use it for legally

How can ATT legally control a phone that I own in full without providing an unlock code. So I can use it with sim card carriers in other countries . 

Canada and the UK , and I would guess most every other country that carries the Iphone has the unlocked versions. I believe it is Against the law in the uk to sell locked phones , or to refuse unlocks. 

It would be as if I sold you a car, and then told you that you can only drive it on 1 road.  Terms and condtions are meaningless once I own in full a product.  Another company or person can't control what I use it for legally

4 of 26 (2,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 11:43:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

digitallysick wrote:

It may seem that way, however neither Apple nor AT&T will unlock an iPhone. Other carriers (ouside of USA) will after the end of a commitment, but not AT&T. There is no Federal law to require the unlocking, so it is not done. While we may not like it, it is perfectly legal in this country. It will take an Act of Congress to require the iPhone to be unlocked, and I don't see that happening. Perhaps as more carriers get the iPhone, the policy will change. Espececially now that excusivity is gone. AT&T no longer has exclsive rights to the phone, and Verizon does not have exclusivity for the CDMA version.

As of now, Singapore & Israel are the only countries in the world that forbid SIM locking and contract/phone bundling outright. Others may unlock after a specific period.

digitallysick wrote:

It may seem that way, however neither Apple nor AT&T will unlock an iPhone. Other carriers (ouside of USA) will after the end of a commitment, but not AT&T. There is no Federal law to require the unlocking, so it is not done. While we may not like it, it is perfectly legal in this country. It will take an Act of Congress to require the iPhone to be unlocked, and I don't see that happening. Perhaps as more carriers get the iPhone, the policy will change. Espececially now that excusivity is gone. AT&T no longer has exclsive rights to the phone, and Verizon does not have exclusivity for the CDMA version.

As of now, Singapore & Israel are the only countries in the world that forbid SIM locking and contract/phone bundling outright. Others may unlock after a specific period.

5 of 26 (2,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 3:45:17 AM
(0)
Professor

digitallysick wrote:

There are many countries that don't sell unlocked iPhones, and others that won't unlock them either.  In any case, as has been stated many, many time before on this forum that there is no law in the US requiring US carriers to unlock cell phones.  The iPhone has been locked to AT&T for the over 3 1/2 years of their existence, and no one has been successful in legally compelling either AT&T or Apple to unlock it, regarding of how compelling the arguement for doing it is.

How can they refuse?  Simple, they just say no.  It is your phone and you can do with it what you want, including unlocking it.  However, they are under no legal obligation to do it for you.  They can't stop you, but they don't have to help you either.  Regardless of how wrong that sounds, that's the way it is.

digitallysick wrote:

There are many countries that don't sell unlocked iPhones, and others that won't unlock them either.  In any case, as has been stated many, many time before on this forum that there is no law in the US requiring US carriers to unlock cell phones.  The iPhone has been locked to AT&T for the over 3 1/2 years of their existence, and no one has been successful in legally compelling either AT&T or Apple to unlock it, regarding of how compelling the arguement for doing it is.

How can they refuse?  Simple, they just say no.  It is your phone and you can do with it what you want, including unlocking it.  However, they are under no legal obligation to do it for you.  They can't stop you, but they don't have to help you either.  Regardless of how wrong that sounds, that's the way it is.

6 of 26 (2,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 6:06:44 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Glomag on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:52:37 AM

digitallysick wrote:

That's nice, but we are not in the UK, we are in the US.  AT&T and Apple are free to sell the device as they please.  You are free to purchase that device and do with it as you please, but there are under no obilgation to assist you in ANY way if you jailbreak or unofficially unlock the device.

Don't like it?  Well, don't buy it.

No one is {Inappropriate comment edited} forcing you to buy an iPhone, use an iPhone, or deal with Apple or AT&T.

digitallysick wrote:

That's nice, but we are not in the UK, we are in the US.  AT&T and Apple are free to sell the device as they please.  You are free to purchase that device and do with it as you please, but there are under no obilgation to assist you in ANY way if you jailbreak or unofficially unlock the device.

Don't like it?  Well, don't buy it.

No one is {Inappropriate comment edited} forcing you to buy an iPhone, use an iPhone, or deal with Apple or AT&T.

[ Edited ]
7 of 26 (2,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 8:10:16 AM
(0)
Master

Show me a law that states that carriers are required to unlock any phones.

digitallysick wrote:

Show me a law that states that carriers are required to unlock any phones.

digitallysick wrote:

8 of 26 (2,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 12:19:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

As usual, the unlock discussion is always a circular discussion.

Not wanting to dredge that up again, there is one interesting anomaly in the nomenclature:

They use the term "Subsidy Lock" which implies the customer's price for the phone is "subsidized" by the carrier, which it is.

Yet, when you buy an iPhone from Apple without a "subsidy" or carrier discount (at full retail),  the phone is still locked to AT&T...    Seems odd, doesn't it...??

Not wanting to dredge that up again, there is one interesting anomaly in the nomenclature:

They use the term "Subsidy Lock" which implies the customer's price for the phone is "subsidized" by the carrier, which it is.

Yet, when you buy an iPhone from Apple without a "subsidy" or carrier discount (at full retail),  the phone is still locked to AT&T...    Seems odd, doesn't it...??

9 of 26 (2,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 1:15:53 PM
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

Neither ATT or Apple will unlock a iphone, cash price or not. Even if they did there is a stipulation in the contract that you have active service with the phone you want unlocked for a specific length of time - forget if it s 10 months or a year.

Bottom line - wait  couple of years and the unlock restriction might be off. And no it does not seem "odd" at all. The network, their rules

wireless-user wrote:

Neither ATT or Apple will unlock a iphone, cash price or not. Even if they did there is a stipulation in the contract that you have active service with the phone you want unlocked for a specific length of time - forget if it s 10 months or a year.

Bottom line - wait  couple of years and the unlock restriction might be off. And no it does not seem "odd" at all. The network, their rules

10 of 26 (2,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 1:25:24 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Glomag on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:03:51 PM

Here is the class action settlement info against ATT requring that they unlock phones upon request after 90 days of service

{link removed}

If the Usa iphone is taken to singapore, will they unlock it? I read about a guy that had a usa iphone and went to finland and they unlocked it there

Here is the class action settlement info against ATT requring that they unlock phones upon request after 90 days of service

{link removed}

If the Usa iphone is taken to singapore, will they unlock it? I read about a guy that had a usa iphone and went to finland and they unlocked it there

[ Edited ]
11 of 26 (1,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 1:28:13 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Glomag on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:04:22 PM

digitallysick wrote:

{link removed}

first line of the article

AT&T has reached a class-action settlement that will let customers unlock phones tied to the carrier - though that does not include Apple's iPhone, with which AT&T has an exclusive contract.

digitallysick wrote:

{link removed}

AT&T has reached a class-action settlement that will let customers unlock phones tied to the carrier - though that does not include Apple's iPhone, with which AT&T has an exclusive contract.

[ Edited ]
12 of 26 (1,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 1:49:00 PM
(0)
Master

digitallysick wrote:

If it was unlocked in Finland, it was not done in an official way.  Google is your friend if you want a USA iphone unlocked.  There is no official way to do it if you bought your iPHone in the USA.

digitallysick wrote:

If it was unlocked in Finland, it was not done in an official way.  Google is your friend if you want a USA iphone unlocked.  There is no official way to do it if you bought your iPHone in the USA.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

13 of 26 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 2:10:04 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

digitallysick wrote:

{link removed}

Per Forum Guidelines, Keep it Relevant and Appropriate. The Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters; therefore, no such discussions are permitted. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

digitallysick wrote:

{link removed}

Per Forum Guidelines, Keep it Relevant and Appropriate. The Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters; therefore, no such discussions are permitted. Thank you.

14 of 26 (1,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 3:16:20 PM
(0)
Guru

I don't know why the moderators removed the news link.

I had to google to find it, but I was able to read it.

In my opinion this is not much of a discussion of legal matters, especially since the person who posted the link misunderstood (or didn't read the entire article) and missed the part that any phone under an exclusivity contract, 10 months or longer (which describes the iPhone) is exempt from the unlock.

The extreme over sensitivity of the forum moderators can be counter productive.

More over the article proved the point of some of the other posts, while AT&T (and Apple) could provide an unlock code for the iPhone, they currently won't.

I would guess that for all pre-iPhone4 models this will change within the next 12 months.  I'd have to assume that for the latest models of iPhone (the 4 and the upcomming 5), that AT&T will probably retain their locking policies until they become considered 'old tech' as new models come out.

In my opinion this is not much of a discussion of legal matters, especially since the person who posted the link misunderstood (or didn't read the entire article) and missed the part that any phone under an exclusivity contract, 10 months or longer (which describes the iPhone) is exempt from the unlock.

More over the article proved the point of some of the other posts, while AT&T (and Apple) could provide an unlock code for the iPhone, they currently won't.

I would guess that for all pre-iPhone4 models this will change within the next 12 months.  I'd have to assume that for the latest models of iPhone (the 4 and the upcomming 5), that AT&T will probably retain their locking policies until they become considered 'old tech' as new models come out.

15 of 26 (1,697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 4:18:51 PM
(0)
Professor

DimentoGraven wrote:

Why would it matter if it's old tech or new tech and why 12 months? With Verizon getting the iPhone doesn't that mean the exclusivity is over and it is no longer exempt?

DimentoGraven wrote:

Why would it matter if it's old tech or new tech and why 12 months? With Verizon getting the iPhone doesn't that mean the exclusivity is over and it is no longer exempt?

16 of 26 (1,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 9:02:02 AM
(0)
Guru

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Because if I was a 'slick' AT&T lawyer, my response would be:  "While the iphone 'platform' is no longer exclusive to AT&T, the GSM implementation of the iphone is, and therefore, unlocking is not something we deem to do at this time.  Perhaps if T-mobile were to get the iPhone as well, this specific implementation would no longer be exclusive, but, until that time..."

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Because if I was a 'slick' AT&T lawyer, my response would be:  "While the iphone 'platform' is no longer exclusive to AT&T, the GSM implementation of the iphone is, and therefore, unlocking is not something we deem to do at this time.  Perhaps if T-mobile were to get the iPhone as well, this specific implementation would no longer be exclusive, but, until that time..."

17 of 26 (1,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 3:27:39 AM
(0)
Expert

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

the term "exclusive" is unique, it can be written in a contract to do exactly what you are saying. Pretty good guess that it was in the original contract or the addendeum that was probalby agreed to when Verizon got the phone, add to the simple fact that no carrier is required to unlock a phone in the US makes it a non-issue anyway.

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

the term "exclusive" is unique, it can be written in a contract to do exactly what you are saying. Pretty good guess that it was in the original contract or the addendeum that was probalby agreed to when Verizon got the phone, add to the simple fact that no carrier is required to unlock a phone in the US makes it a non-issue anyway.

18 of 26 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 5:50:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

digitallysick wrote:

{link removed}

And after googling for the settlement, it's also apparently limited to PA.

In short, nothing actually changed, since AT&T always has provided unlock codes for accounts in good standing after 3 months, except for iPhone or really any other phone they chose not to.

Because, as is also supported by case law, no wireless carrier is REQUIRED to provide an unlock code, ever. The specific lawsuit sited says "the plaintiffs are AT&T cell phone customers who claim they did not know until they signed up for service that they could not use their phones on non-AT&T networks."

AT&T and Apple CLEARLY state that the US iPhone is Carrier Locked, so the lawsuit doesn't apply, regardless of the outcome.

wingrider01 wrote:

digitallysick wrote:

{link removed}

And after googling for the settlement, it's also apparently limited to PA.

In short, nothing actually changed, since AT&T always has provided unlock codes for accounts in good standing after 3 months, except for iPhone or really any other phone they chose not to.

Because, as is also supported by case law, no wireless carrier is REQUIRED to provide an unlock code, ever. The specific lawsuit sited says "the plaintiffs are AT&T cell phone customers who claim they did not know until they signed up for service that they could not use their phones on non-AT&T networks."

AT&T and Apple CLEARLY state that the US iPhone is Carrier Locked, so the lawsuit doesn't apply, regardless of the outcome.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 26 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 6:42:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Genuino on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:44:39 AM

Well, that's one of the reasons I left AT&T and iPhone. I can see it being locked while on contract, contract is over and it should be unlocked, you paid for it. First, to me this is not about showing a law, is about a monopoly tactics to force you to stay with AT&T, monopoly in any way, shape or form is not legal in my view and should not be allowed. Second, AT&T agreed to unlock all phones after contract ends but the iPhone, how in the blue clouds the iPhone is excluded? Of course, contract with Apple, still can't see how an agreement with another company is valid to circumvent a law that protects the consumer, bad judgement on the judge.

Try to do that in Europe Smiley Happy, where law actually protect consumers from this practices, should be illegal to lock phones period. Buy your phone and go with the carrier of your likings.

I went to a different carrier and bought a phone, two moths later I went to Italy to visit my parents, called and was given the unlock code (with only two months into my contract) to use my European SIM card, came back and popped the US SIM back in the phone and all is good. Good customer service.

Well, that's one of the reasons I left AT&T and iPhone. I can see it being locked while on contract, contract is over and it should be unlocked, you paid for it. First, to me this is not about showing a law, is about a monopoly tactics to force you to stay with AT&T, monopoly in any way, shape or form is not legal in my view and should not be allowed. Second, AT&T agreed to unlock all phones after contract ends but the iPhone, how in the blue clouds the iPhone is excluded? Of course, contract with Apple, still can't see how an agreement with another company is valid to circumvent a law that protects the consumer, bad judgement on the judge.

Try to do that in Europe Smiley Happy, where law actually protect consumers from this practices, should be illegal to lock phones period. Buy your phone and go with the carrier of your likings.

I went to a different carrier and bought a phone, two moths later I went to Italy to visit my parents, called and was given the unlock code (with only two months into my contract) to use my European SIM card, came back and popped the US SIM back in the phone and all is good. Good customer service.

[ Edited ]
20 of 26 (1,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 7:51:59 AM
(0)
Guru

Genuino wrote:

...monopoly in any way, shape or form is not legal in my view...

Yeah well, tell that to professional baseball, the postal service, your various local utilities companies, etc...

Some monopolies are legal, some exempted from the government (baseball), some considered "natural monopolies" like the US postal service and local utilities companies...

Whether fair or not, they're out there...  Patience will win out...  Once the next generation of iPhone comes out I predict the unlock restrictions for any iPhone model prior to the iPhone4 will be loosened, and then you'll see iPhones becomming unlockable 2 years after initial release.

Verizon having the iPhone platform is the 'foot in the door', once a common 4g cellular protocol is setup nationwide, there will be more pressure to allow unlocking. 

As it is now, because there's only ONE other GSM based national cellular provider, there's really not all that much REAL call for an unlock.  Those rare instances of going to Europe and what not are not common enough to push the demand to a level where Apple feels a 'need' to provide the service.

Once it's actually possible for Verizon customers to take their iPhone and use it on AT&T's network, well, THEN you'll see unlock restrictions gone...

Genuino wrote:

...monopoly in any way, shape or form is not legal in my view...

Yeah well, tell that to professional baseball, the postal service, your various local utilities companies, etc...

Some monopolies are legal, some exempted from the government (baseball), some considered "natural monopolies" like the US postal service and local utilities companies...

Whether fair or not, they're out there...  Patience will win out...  Once the next generation of iPhone comes out I predict the unlock restrictions for any iPhone model prior to the iPhone4 will be loosened, and then you'll see iPhones becomming unlockable 2 years after initial release.

Verizon having the iPhone platform is the 'foot in the door', once a common 4g cellular protocol is setup nationwide, there will be more pressure to allow unlocking. 

As it is now, because there's only ONE other GSM based national cellular provider, there's really not all that much REAL call for an unlock.  Those rare instances of going to Europe and what not are not common enough to push the demand to a level where Apple feels a 'need' to provide the service.

Once it's actually possible for Verizon customers to take their iPhone and use it on AT&T's network, well, THEN you'll see unlock restrictions gone...

21 of 26 (1,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 8:13:17 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Correct, no carrier is required by law to provide the unlock code. However, it is not illegal for a consumer to unlock a device should he/she be able to acquire the code from a third party.

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Correct, no carrier is required by law to provide the unlock code. However, it is not illegal for a consumer to unlock a device should he/she be able to acquire the code from a third party.

22 of 26 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 8:24:30 AM
(0)
Expert

Actually depending on the criteria, there are a lot more then one more GSM provider around.

If you restrict to US only both CDMA and GSM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

If you go world wide - GSM only

http://www.mobileisgood.com/serviceProviders.php?technology_id=1

World Wide - CDMA only

http://www.mobileisgood.com/serviceProviders.php?technology_id=2

As far as Tier 1 there are one each GSM (ATT - 92.8 Million)) and CDMA (Verizon 93.2), Tier 2 there is also only one each Sprint (CDMA - 48.8 Million) T-Mobile (GSM - 38.5 Million), then Trac Phone which is both at 14. Million and Metro-PCS which is just CDMA at 7.6 Million.

Actually depending on the criteria, there are a lot more then one more GSM provider around.

If you restrict to US only both CDMA and GSM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

If you go world wide - GSM only

http://www.mobileisgood.com/serviceProviders.php?technology_id=1

World Wide - CDMA only

http://www.mobileisgood.com/serviceProviders.php?technology_id=2

As far as Tier 1 there are one each GSM (ATT - 92.8 Million)) and CDMA (Verizon 93.2), Tier 2 there is also only one each Sprint (CDMA - 48.8 Million) T-Mobile (GSM - 38.5 Million), then Trac Phone which is both at 14. Million and Metro-PCS which is just CDMA at 7.6 Million.

23 of 26 (1,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 8:26:07 AM
(0)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

never siad it was, they can unlock with any method they have available for it, but no provider or manufacturer is required to give them and form of support or warrenty if they end user does that. The key words are do so at your own risk.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

never siad it was, they can unlock with any method they have available for it, but no provider or manufacturer is required to give them and form of support or warrenty if they end user does that. The key words are do so at your own risk.

24 of 26 (1,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 9:08:38 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by sitnsidewayz on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:11:39 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

I doubt sim unlocking will void a warranty since the carriers will usually give out the code if you meet their requirements. Realistically, the manufacturers would not know where you got the code from. On the other hand, application unlocking, jailbreaking, and rooting will void a warranty. Edit- I know iPhone is the exception, but I mention all this because iPhone is no longer exclusive to AT&T, so things will change eventually.

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

I doubt sim unlocking will void a warranty since the carriers will usually give out the code if you meet their requirements. Realistically, the manufacturers would not know where you got the code from. On the other hand, application unlocking, jailbreaking, and rooting will void a warranty. Edit- I know iPhone is the exception, but I mention all this because iPhone is no longer exclusive to AT&T, so things will change eventually.

[ Edited ]
25 of 26 (1,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 11:06:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by digitallysick on Feb 12, 2011 at 11:10:27 PM

"legal" matters can't be discussed here? what a joke,  My link shows how ATT was sued, and by law has to provide unlock codes after 90 days when asked on all phones but the Iphone

This is fact

Also note Singapore has by law that no phones sold can be locked. Does this mean they have the software/ability to unlock these phones? 

Its my understanding the carrier can lock and unlock the phones, that apple sends some type of update that removes the restriction via itunes . 

Oh well traveling to Asia soon, I will see what I can do and post back on any success. 

"legal" matters can't be discussed here? what a joke,  My link shows how ATT was sued, and by law has to provide unlock codes after 90 days when asked on all phones but the Iphone

This is fact

Also note Singapore has by law that no phones sold can be locked. Does this mean they have the software/ability to unlock these phones? 

Its my understanding the carrier can lock and unlock the phones, that apple sends some type of update that removes the restriction via itunes . 

Oh well traveling to Asia soon, I will see what I can do and post back on any success. 

[ Edited ]
26 of 26 (1,167 Views)