If i restore my phone and set it up as a new iphone, will i lose all my contacts?

Mentor

If i restore my phone and set it up as a new iphone, will i lose all my contacts?

[ Edited ]

If so, what is the best way to get them back without adding them one by one?

Thanks

Message Edited by twaters on 10-05-2009 01:27:06 PM
Message 1 of 8 (3,163 Views)
Voyager

Re: If i restore my phone and set it up as a new iphone, will i lose all my contacts?

Do a back up before you restore the phone.

To do a back up right click on the name of your phone in itunes and then select back up. When restoring restore from backup and all data will be back on device.

Thank You.

Pureness.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (3,145 Views)
Professor

Re: If i restore my phone and set it up as a new iphone, will i lose all my contacts?

Turn on sync for contacts sync your phone. Your contacts will show up in outlook. Once that is done restore your phone as new. Once the restore is complete resync your contacts.

These are the things your phone can sync. Pictures, contacts, mail, notes, voice memo, music, applications. If you turn them on and sync.
Message 3 of 8 (3,141 Views)
Professor

When syncing iPhone, make sure to select Sync Address Book contacts... or Sync over the air with MobileMe, Google Sync etc. 

Screenshot2009-10-05at40310PM.png picture by iPhone_3_GS

Message 4 of 8 (3,138 Views)
Scholar

BACKUP your phone first. The first time I used iTunes to update my software I did a restore before I backed up my phone and I spent the next couple of days downloading the 3 pages of apps that I lost. I learned from that mistake.
Message 5 of 8 (3,091 Views)
Professor

The backup does nothing. If you have your syncs active then you do not have to download apps. If you turn on application sync on they will be all on your computer. The backup saves settings and nothing more.
Message 6 of 8 (3,077 Views)
Scholar

Alright, I guess I still need some practice with iTunes then.
Message 7 of 8 (3,019 Views)

I personally backup and sync my contacts via google contacts.  I just format my phone, and sign into google sync and it downloads all my contacts. The other good thing is that I can print and edit them online! SO EASY.  You can find out to do it via

Google Sync: Set Up Your iPhone or iPod TouchPrint
To set up Google Sync on your iPhone or iPod Touch device, please follow the steps below .

Requirements and Upload1. Google Sync is only supported on iPhone OS versions 3.0 and above. You can check your current version by going to Settings > General > About >Version. To upgrade, follow the instructions at http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/. Please upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0 before setting up Google Sync.

2. Perform a sync with iTunes to ensure that Contacts and Calendars from your iPhone are backed up to your computer. Learn More.

Getting Started1. Open the Settings application on your device's home screen.
2. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Tap Add Account....
4. Select Microsoft Exchange.

Enter Account Info5. In the Email field, enter your full Google Account email address. If you use an @googlemail.com address, you may see an "Unable to verify certificate" warning when you proceed to the next step.
6. Leave the Domain field blank.
7. Enter your full Google Account email address as the Username.
8. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
9. Tap Next at the top of your screen.
9a. Choose Accept if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears.
10. A new Server field will appear. Enter m.google.com.
11. Press Next at the top of your screen again.

12. Select the Google services you want to sync.

13. Unless you want to delete all the existing Contacts and Calendars on your phone, select the Keep on my iPhone option when prompted. This will also allow you to keep syncing with your computer via iTunes.

If you want to sync only the My Contacts group, you must choose to Delete Existing Contacts during the Google Sync install when prompted. If you choose to keep existing contacts, it will sync the contents of the "All Contacts" group instead.

You've set up Google Sync for your iPhone. Synchronization will begin automatically if you have Push enabled on your phone. You can also open the Mail, Calendar or Contacts app and wait a few seconds to start a sync. 

Next learn how to choose which calendars to sync, if you'd like to enable multiple calendars. 

Tip: If your business, school, or organization uses Google Apps, your administrator will first need to enable Google Sync before you can take advantage of this feature. 

Message 8 of 8 (2,978 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.