Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 23, 2008
9:53:37 PM
View profile
If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a mo...
If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a month to month service, instead of a 2 year contract, as I only need it for a 4 month retirement trip around the US..?????
If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a month to month service, instead of a 2 year contract, as I only need it for a 4 month retirement trip around the US..?????

If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a mo...

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2008 9:58:07 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by rsnadel on Apr 23, 2008 at 9:58:56 PM
Are you suggesting that you want to buy it without the subsidies (in other words, at list price)? That would possibly be the only way to get out of a long-term agreement. If you're looking to buy one at the lowest prices they offer, such as those with rebates attached, you'll no doubt be required to sign a two-year contract. Basically, no matter what plan you're on, you're buying the card from AT&T...it's yours at the end of the contract.

Message Edited by rsnadel on 04-23-2008 09:58:56 PM
Are you suggesting that you want to buy it without the subsidies (in other words, at list price)? That would possibly be the only way to get out of a long-term agreement. If you're looking to buy one at the lowest prices they offer, such as those with rebates attached, you'll no doubt be required to sign a two-year contract. Basically, no matter what plan you're on, you're buying the card from AT&T...it's yours at the end of the contract.

Message Edited by rsnadel on 04-23-2008 09:58:56 PM

Re: If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a mo...

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (2,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2008 1:56:00 AM
(0)
Scholar
If you purchase the card at full retail then you would be allowed to cancel service without paying any early termination fees (currently $175 I believe).  It seems from the pricing and rebate forms that it may be less expensive to purchase with a two year contract and just pay the early termination fee. For example a 881USB full retail is listed at $249.99, but with a 2 year contract and rebates the device is free, so even paying a $175 early termination fee buying it with a contract seems cheaper.  Of course if you want to search, purchasing a At&t network capable card used on e-bay would be even less expensive.  
If you purchase the card at full retail then you would be allowed to cancel service without paying any early termination fees (currently $175 I believe).  It seems from the pricing and rebate forms that it may be less expensive to purchase with a two year contract and just pay the early termination fee. For example a 881USB full retail is listed at $249.99, but with a 2 year contract and rebates the device is free, so even paying a $175 early termination fee buying it with a contract seems cheaper.  Of course if you want to search, purchasing a At&t network capable card used on e-bay would be even less expensive.  

3 of 4 (2,015 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2008 6:53:01 AM
(0)
Master
Yes this is possible but it cannot be done online.  You should also be aware that not every rep knows how to issue a no contract account so it may take some persuasion.  If you get a clearly unwilling rep hang up and try again.
Yes this is possible but it cannot be done online.  You should also be aware that not every rep knows how to issue a no contract account so it may take some persuasion.  If you get a clearly unwilling rep hang up and try again.

4 of 4 (2,006 Views)