If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a mo...

Contributor

If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a mo...

If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a month to month service, instead of a 2 year contract, as I only need it for a 4 month retirement trip around the US..?????
Message 1 of 4 (2,043 Views)
Scholar

Re: If I buy my own air card from ATT, can I sign up for a mo...

[ Edited ]
Are you suggesting that you want to buy it without the subsidies (in other words, at list price)? That would possibly be the only way to get out of a long-term agreement. If you're looking to buy one at the lowest prices they offer, such as those with rebates attached, you'll no doubt be required to sign a two-year contract. Basically, no matter what plan you're on, you're buying the card from AT&T...it's yours at the end of the contract.

Message Edited by rsnadel on 04-23-2008 09:58:56 PM
Message 2 of 4 (2,041 Views)
Scholar

If you purchase the card at full retail then you would be allowed to cancel service without paying any early termination fees (currently $175 I believe).  It seems from the pricing and rebate forms that it may be less expensive to purchase with a two year contract and just pay the early termination fee. For example a 881USB full retail is listed at $249.99, but with a 2 year contract and rebates the device is free, so even paying a $175 early termination fee buying it with a contract seems cheaper.  Of course if you want to search, purchasing a At&t network capable card used on e-bay would be even less expensive.  
Message 3 of 4 (2,036 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Yes this is possible but it cannot be done online.  You should also be aware that not every rep knows how to issue a no contract account so it may take some persuasion.  If you get a clearly unwilling rep hang up and try again.
Message 4 of 4 (2,027 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.