If I buy a Samsung Focus S now, will I be able to update it to Windows 8 in the future?

Teacher

If I buy a Samsung Focus S now, will I be able to update it to Windows 8 in the future?

[ Edited ]

I am interested in buying a Windows phone.  I was just wondering if in the future when Windows 8 is released for phones, will I be able to update the current OS to Windows 8.

While I am here, what OS is the Samsung Focus S currently on.  Windows 7.5?  Is Windows 7.5 Mango?

EDIT:  At the store I did not see how many GB (memory) the phone had, and I did not see it on the information card.  Anyone know how many Gigabytes this phone has?  Does it have more than the Samsung Focus Flash?

Message 1 of 5 (2,109 Views)
Scholar

Re: If I buy a Samsung Focus S now, will I be able to update it to Windows 8 in the future?

Shpati wrote:

I am interested in buying a Windows phone.  I was just wondering if in the future when Windows 8 is released for phones, will I be able to update the current OS to Windows 8.

While I am here, what OS is the Samsung Focus S currently on.  Windows 7.5?  Is Windows 7.5 Mango?

EDIT:  At the store I did not see how many GB (memory) the phone had, and I did not see it on the information card.  Anyone know how many Gigabytes this phone has?  Does it have more than the Samsung Focus Flash?

WP 7.5 is Mango, as for getting the WP8 update I wouldn't hold my breath, it took AT&T months to get NoDo update to us, Mango was a bit faster but I can see them holding 8 back again until they watch how many bugs arise throughout the world before  releasing it to AT&T users..

That said. Honestly take it from someone who HAD a WP7 with NoDo & Mango for many months you'd be much better off and much happier with a GalaxyS2 or iPhone 4S/iPhone 4!!  WP7 and I am sure 8 won''t be that much better, WPx is a uncustomiazable phone which could be advertised as a "smartphone for dummies".. Its already being listed on many sites as one of the top 5 tech flops of 2011(Zune is also being listed on some flop lists also)..  The Galaxy S2 is by far the best smartphone I ever had and wouldn't go back to a Windows Phone for all the tea in china, I'd go iphone before another Windows phone.. Its really a shame, with all the resources Microsoft has at its disposal this was the best they could  come up with??  Sad..

Message 2 of 5 (2,070 Views)

Re: If I buy a Samsung Focus S now, will I be able to update it to Windows 8 in the future?

Yes you will get the Apollo(WP8) update. If At&t make you wait just force the update via Zune. I like how the poster above wants you get get on the Android train but look at how many problems are coming up in the Android forum just on here.

/Had Mango the day At&t released it which was two weeks after Microsoft released it to the world.

Message 3 of 5 (2,047 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

drjekel_mrhyde wrote:

Yes you will get the Apollo(WP8) update. If At&t make you wait just force the update via Zune. I like how the poster above wants you get get on the Android train but look at how many problems are coming up in the Android forum just on here.

/Had Mango the day At&t released it which was two weeks after Microsoft released it to the world.

Android train, funny... I've had iPhones, WP7 Lg Quantum and Focus and Galaxy S2 so I'm not just guessing or speaking of what I know not.. WP8 better have some world ending changes in it compared to WP7, as cute as WP7 was at first it gets very old and stale within just a few months to most users. Sadly for MS WP8 almost is doomed before it comes out of the gates with iOS5 and Android ICS making its way to users early next year (ICS is already out on the Nexus).  
As for how many Android users are here with issues compared to WP7,  thats a no brainer, there are and I quote "550,000 Android phones being activated every day", how many WP7 phones are there total??  Another analogy could be Android has 53% of the TOTAL market where WP has 2% and thats just in the US, in the Asian and other major markets the difference is even larger.. With that said there should be actually be over 25 times as many Android posts vs WP, honestly I don''t think there are, do you??  

Android Activations

Market Share

Message 4 of 5 (2,022 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

I'm not sure why people feel the need to bash one phone OS and not answer the question. Great...you love Android. He chose Windows Phone and has an upgrade question.

My GUESS is that WP8 will be made available to at least the second generation devices, including the Focus S. We have another update coming before that though, hopefully in early 2012.
Message 5 of 5 (2,002 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.