Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 7, 2010
4:01:09 PM
IPhone4 voicemail will not work internationally

I am international and people are not being routed to my voicemail. I can see my voicemail on my IPhone4 but when I miss a call people aren't getting routed to my voicemail it says the voicemail is unreachable. Are there others out there having this problem? Voicemail works fine in the States.

I am international and people are not being routed to my voicemail. I can see my voicemail on my IPhone4 but when I miss a call people aren't getting routed to my voicemail it says the voicemail is unreachable. Are there others out there having this problem? Voicemail works fine in the States.

IPhone4 voicemail will not work internationally

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 4:11:20 PM
(0)
Professor

Are you connected to a cellular data source?  I think the iPhone's voicemail comes over data.  If you have cellular data turned off, I don't think you'll get voicemails.

Are you connected to a cellular data source?  I think the iPhone's voicemail comes over data.  If you have cellular data turned off, I don't think you'll get voicemails.

Re: IPhone4 voicemail will not work internationally

2 of 8 (1,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 4:13:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

it is turned on i'm recieving emails but when someone calls in it doesn't get forwarded. i can hold down 1 and connect to my voicemail but people calling in can't.

it is turned on i'm recieving emails but when someone calls in it doesn't get forwarded. i can hold down 1 and connect to my voicemail but people calling in can't.

3 of 8 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 5:01:07 PM
(0)
Professor

Contact customer support, our voicemail may not be set up correctly.

Was it working prior to leaving the US?

Contact customer support, our voicemail may not be set up correctly.

Was it working prior to leaving the US?

4 of 8 (1,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 5:04:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

yes, international tech support says that visual voicemail will not work internationally but i need to set up a regular audio voicemail when i'm back in the states. not helpful at all, should there be someway to inform us that it will not work internationally?

yes, international tech support says that visual voicemail will not work internationally but i need to set up a regular audio voicemail when i'm back in the states. not helpful at all, should there be someway to inform us that it will not work internationally?

5 of 8 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 5:09:10 PM
(0)
Professor

You could set up a YouMail account, then configure your iPhone to forward calls to your YouMail voicemail instead of AT&T's voicemail.

YouMail's basic service is free and there is an app for the iPhone that will give you push notifications when you get a new VM.

It also gives you more control over your voicemail and incoming calls.

GoogleVoice can be used in a similar situation, but would require giving out a new number to all your contacts and having them call that number exclusively.

You could set up a YouMail account, then configure your iPhone to forward calls to your YouMail voicemail instead of AT&T's voicemail.

YouMail's basic service is free and there is an app for the iPhone that will give you push notifications when you get a new VM.

It also gives you more control over your voicemail and incoming calls.

GoogleVoice can be used in a similar situation, but would require giving out a new number to all your contacts and having them call that number exclusively.

6 of 8 (1,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 5:12:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

use GV, and conditional forward unanswered calls to GV. That should work.

use GV, and conditional forward unanswered calls to GV. That should work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 7:38:12 AM
(0)
Master

It is unfortunately normal for at&t VM to work differently when you are roaming overseas.  It has nothing to do with the iPhone and occurs on all phones.  In some countries the callers are re-routed to a generic vm system and asked to re-enter your 10 digit phone number in order to leave a message.  The only way around this is to switch your phone off when you can't answer it.  Once the phone is off callers will be diverted directly to your personal VM since your phone does not ring on the roaming network.

it has something to do with the routing information being lost when the calls are send back and forth overseas and this has been an issue for as long as at&t has offered roaming services.  Don't forget that when you are overseas and you can't answer your phone you are charged for one call to deliver the call to you and then a second call to deliver the caller back to the VM system in the US.  So in effect you are charged twice for the call.  As stated it's best to leave your phone off if you know you can't answer it.

It is unfortunately normal for at&t VM to work differently when you are roaming overseas.  It has nothing to do with the iPhone and occurs on all phones.  In some countries the callers are re-routed to a generic vm system and asked to re-enter your 10 digit phone number in order to leave a message.  The only way around this is to switch your phone off when you can't answer it.  Once the phone is off callers will be diverted directly to your personal VM since your phone does not ring on the roaming network.

it has something to do with the routing information being lost when the calls are send back and forth overseas and this has been an issue for as long as at&t has offered roaming services.  Don't forget that when you are overseas and you can't answer your phone you are charged for one call to deliver the call to you and then a second call to deliver the caller back to the VM system in the US.  So in effect you are charged twice for the call.  As stated it's best to leave your phone off if you know you can't answer it.

8 of 8 (1,331 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments