Helpful Links

IPhone 4S Usage

Contributor

IPhone 4S Usage

Good Evening All.. Can a IPhone 4S be used by someone on the Verizon or Sprint network?  I have the 4S and am switching back to my 4.  Nephew and Hubby don't want me to return it because they want it. Unfortunately, they are with Verizon and Sprint.  I explained to them they can't use Facetime, at least I don't think they can.  Can someone help me?   Thanks.  Oh, and do I have to go back to ATT Store to get them to remove the SIM Card?  Thanks Again...

Message 1 of 5

Re: IPhone 4S Usage

No, an AT&T Iphone 4S will not work on Verizon or Sprint. Different technologies.

Message 2 of 5
Contributor

That settles that then.  Thanks...

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

Well your answer is correct but not for the reason you specify. One of the main reasons for Apple making the 4s was so they would only have to make one phone, not two. All iPhone 4s's are the same and they have the electronics for both GSM and CDMA networks. I don't know if the CDMA capability has been somehow deactivated in AT&T's version or if the carriers have just agreed not to activate phones sold by other carriers but technically, an AT&T iPhone 4s could work on a CDMA network.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5

Regardless of the technical mumbo jumbo stated, your AT&T iPhone 4s is locked to AT&T and can not be used with another carrier. But you can sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. Smiley Wink

Hey63Boo wrote:

Good Evening All.. Can a IPhone 4S be used by someone on the Verizon or Sprint network?  I have the 4S and am switching back to my 4.  Nephew and Hubby don't want me to return it because they want it. Unfortunately, they are with Verizon and Sprint.  I explained to them they can't use Facetime, at least I don't think they can.  Can someone help me?   Thanks.  Oh, and do I have to go back to ATT Store to get them to remove the SIM Card?  Thanks Again...

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support