Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 3, 2011
2:00:14 PM
View profile
IPhone 4S Usage

Good Evening All.. Can a IPhone 4S be used by someone on the Verizon or Sprint network?  I have the 4S and am switching back to my 4.  Nephew and Hubby don't want me to return it because they want it. Unfortunately, they are with Verizon and Sprint.  I explained to them they can't use Facetime, at least I don't think they can.  Can someone help me?   Thanks.  Oh, and do I have to go back to ATT Store to get them to remove the SIM Card?  Thanks Again...

Good Evening All.. Can a IPhone 4S be used by someone on the Verizon or Sprint network?  I have the 4S and am switching back to my 4.  Nephew and Hubby don't want me to return it because they want it. Unfortunately, they are with Verizon and Sprint.  I explained to them they can't use Facetime, at least I don't think they can.  Can someone help me?   Thanks.  Oh, and do I have to go back to ATT Store to get them to remove the SIM Card?  Thanks Again...

IPhone 4S Usage

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 2:15:07 PM
(0)
Guru

No, an AT&T Iphone 4S will not work on Verizon or Sprint. Different technologies.

No, an AT&T Iphone 4S will not work on Verizon or Sprint. Different technologies.

Re: IPhone 4S Usage

2 of 5 (249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 2:20:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

That settles that then.  Thanks...

That settles that then.  Thanks...

3 of 5 (246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 3:23:26 PM
(0)
Former Employee
Well your answer is correct but not for the reason you specify. One of the main reasons for Apple making the 4s was so they would only have to make one phone, not two. All iPhone 4s's are the same and they have the electronics for both GSM and CDMA networks. I don't know if the CDMA capability has been somehow deactivated in AT&T's version or if the carriers have just agreed not to activate phones sold by other carriers but technically, an AT&T iPhone 4s could work on a CDMA network.
Well your answer is correct but not for the reason you specify. One of the main reasons for Apple making the 4s was so they would only have to make one phone, not two. All iPhone 4s's are the same and they have the electronics for both GSM and CDMA networks. I don't know if the CDMA capability has been somehow deactivated in AT&T's version or if the carriers have just agreed not to activate phones sold by other carriers but technically, an AT&T iPhone 4s could work on a CDMA network.

4 of 5 (241 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 4:51:06 PM
(0)
Guru

Regardless of the technical mumbo jumbo stated, your AT&T iPhone 4s is locked to AT&T and can not be used with another carrier. But you can sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. Smiley Wink

Hey63Boo wrote:

Regardless of the technical mumbo jumbo stated, your AT&T iPhone 4s is locked to AT&T and can not be used with another carrier. But you can sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. Smiley Wink

Hey63Boo wrote:

5 of 5 (230 Views)