Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2011
2:32:53 AM
IPhone 4S Data Usage After Just 1 Day!

Hi,

I am a new IPhone user and activated my 4S yesterday. I only signed up for the $15 Data Plan which is up to 200MB at the recommendation of my AT&T after I told him that all I would use the phone for is basically to make calls, create/read text messages; use Siri and browse the internet sporadically.I also would switch to WiFi when at home to save even more.

So, the phone was activated less than 24 hours ago and already have used 17 MB of data! I did spend alot of time last night playing with Siri and emails, etc. but some of that time was even spent on WiFi since I was inside my home. I didn't download any Apps or go into Itunes at all.

I'm concerend and confused because that is way too much for less than 24 hours. Since I am new to the IPhone, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. For example, when I went to browse the internet, I tapped on "Safari" and went into a few sites. When I was finished with those sites, I exited Safari by hitting the round button at the bottom of the phone with a square in it. This makes me think.. Did I really stop surfing the web or was that browser still working and I didn't know it?

For those of you who are loyal Iphone users, I would love your feedback about whether you think what I'm experiencing s normal or if I am possibly doing something wrong and don't realize it.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know I will grow to love this Phone, but need to get the hang of it. Thanks.

Hi,

I am a new IPhone user and activated my 4S yesterday. I only signed up for the $15 Data Plan which is up to 200MB at the recommendation of my AT&T after I told him that all I would use the phone for is basically to make calls, create/read text messages; use Siri and browse the internet sporadically.I also would switch to WiFi when at home to save even more.

So, the phone was activated less than 24 hours ago and already have used 17 MB of data! I did spend alot of time last night playing with Siri and emails, etc. but some of that time was even spent on WiFi since I was inside my home. I didn't download any Apps or go into Itunes at all.

I'm concerend and confused because that is way too much for less than 24 hours. Since I am new to the IPhone, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. For example, when I went to browse the internet, I tapped on "Safari" and went into a few sites. When I was finished with those sites, I exited Safari by hitting the round button at the bottom of the phone with a square in it. This makes me think.. Did I really stop surfing the web or was that browser still working and I didn't know it?

For those of you who are loyal Iphone users, I would love your feedback about whether you think what I'm experiencing s normal or if I am possibly doing something wrong and don't realize it.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know I will grow to love this Phone, but need to get the hang of it. Thanks.

IPhone 4S Data Usage After Just 1 Day!

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 3:06:20 AM
(0)
Professor
Pushing the home button on the bottom of the screen doesn't really shutdown the programs. They can still be running in the background and use data. To really kill them, you have to double click the home button, which will show the open programs along the bottom of the screen. Then click and hold on one of the open app icons until they start jiggling and a red minus sign appears in the upper left corner of the icon. Press the minus sign to completely close the app. Also, anything you do with Siri uses data since it connects to a server to process the voice commands.

Depending on how much you played around with your new phone while you weren't on WiFi, you could have used 17MB with Safari, email, and Siri.

The best advice for those on the 200MB plan is to really try to minimize use when not on WiFi, make sure you stop all apps after you are done using them, and turn off automatic functions like push emails.
Pushing the home button on the bottom of the screen doesn't really shutdown the programs. They can still be running in the background and use data. To really kill them, you have to double click the home button, which will show the open programs along the bottom of the screen. Then click and hold on one of the open app icons until they start jiggling and a red minus sign appears in the upper left corner of the icon. Press the minus sign to completely close the app. Also, anything you do with Siri uses data since it connects to a server to process the voice commands.

Depending on how much you played around with your new phone while you weren't on WiFi, you could have used 17MB with Safari, email, and Siri.

The best advice for those on the 200MB plan is to really try to minimize use when not on WiFi, make sure you stop all apps after you are done using them, and turn off automatic functions like push emails.

Re: IPhone 4S Data Usage After Just 1 Day!

2 of 12 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 4:17:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
I've used 364 MB since I got my phone on Oct 14th, but I'm primarily at home when I use it so therefore connected to WiFi

hope you figure out why soon!
I've used 364 MB since I got my phone on Oct 14th, but I'm primarily at home when I use it so therefore connected to WiFi

hope you figure out why soon!

3 of 12 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 5:50:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

17MB of data is very little data. You can switch to the 2GB plan any time in a month, for the extra $10 it might bring you peace of mind to do so for the first few months, use your phone as you would normally, and track your usage on the http://mywireless.com site over the next couple months. If you are always under 200mb, then switch back to the cheaper plan.

17MB of data is very little data. You can switch to the 2GB plan any time in a month, for the extra $10 it might bring you peace of mind to do so for the first few months, use your phone as you would normally, and track your usage on the http://mywireless.com site over the next couple months. If you are always under 200mb, then switch back to the cheaper plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 9:08:53 AM
(0)
Guru

johninsj wrote:

How "little" depends on the context--17 MB may be very little on a 2 GB plan, but definitely wouldn't be considered "little" on a 200 MB plan...especially if in OP's case that 17 MB was consumed in one day, which theoretically equates to 510 MB in a month.  Given that you'd be charged $10 for every 200 MB over your 200 MB allowance, OP would subsequently be charged an extra $20 unless he catches the overage before his billing cycle is over and asks AT&T to switch him over to the 2 GB plan before the end of the cycle.

johninsj wrote:

How "little" depends on the context--17 MB may be very little on a 2 GB plan, but definitely wouldn't be considered "little" on a 200 MB plan...especially if in OP's case that 17 MB was consumed in one day, which theoretically equates to 510 MB in a month.  Given that you'd be charged $10 for every 200 MB over your 200 MB allowance, OP would subsequently be charged an extra $20 unless he catches the overage before his billing cycle is over and asks AT&T to switch him over to the 2 GB plan before the end of the cycle.

5 of 12 (693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 5:37:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

dwill05 wrote:

Pushing the home button on the bottom of the screen doesn't really shutdown the programs. They can still be running in the background and use data. To really kill them, you have to double click the home button, which will show the open programs along the bottom of the screen. Then click and hold on one of the open app icons until they start jiggling and a red minus sign appears in the upper left corner of the icon.

The icons/apps that normally are included with the iP4S, does it matter if those are always on the bottom of the screen? Or are you talking about game apps, for example, or anything that needs "power" that would use (lots of) data?

I'm wondering because after double clicking the home button, I usually leave the icons/apps found on the phone originally alone, but I always remove other apps that I have DLed if I open them.

dwill05 wrote:

Pushing the home button on the bottom of the screen doesn't really shutdown the programs. They can still be running in the background and use data. To really kill them, you have to double click the home button, which will show the open programs along the bottom of the screen. Then click and hold on one of the open app icons until they start jiggling and a red minus sign appears in the upper left corner of the icon.

The icons/apps that normally are included with the iP4S, does it matter if those are always on the bottom of the screen? Or are you talking about game apps, for example, or anything that needs "power" that would use (lots of) data?

I'm wondering because after double clicking the home button, I usually leave the icons/apps found on the phone originally alone, but I always remove other apps that I have DLed if I open them.

6 of 12 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 5:45:06 PM
(0)
Professor
You want to close all of the apps that show up when you double click the home button. The ones that are normally on the bottom of the home screen don't operate any differently than the rest of the apps. If you don't close them they can potentially keep using data.
You want to close all of the apps that show up when you double click the home button. The ones that are normally on the bottom of the home screen don't operate any differently than the rest of the apps. If you don't close them they can potentially keep using data.

7 of 12 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 5:37:24 AM
(0)
Master
I don't think 17MB is that much that you need to worry at this point. I would just keep an eye on your usage over the next few days and bump your plan up to the 2GB plan if you feel that you are going to go over before the end of the billing period.
I don't think 17MB is that much that you need to worry at this point. I would just keep an eye on your usage over the next few days and bump your plan up to the 2GB plan if you feel that you are going to go over before the end of the billing period.

8 of 12 (588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 5:55:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you all for the replies. I had the phone for about two and a half days now, and I am up to 49MB. Yes - I'm playing on the phone more than I normally would just to get used to it, but I still think its alot for that very short period of time. I will tell you that most of the "playing" I'm doing is not really internet browsing. It is emails (mostly reading), lots of voice texts and Siri. My two daughters in collge have the 200MB data plan and use blackberries and they have never exceeded 100MB in one billing period. So, as many of you said, I will keep my eye on this. I have also taken the suggestion about closing out of the various applications, but it doesn't appear to have helped yet. I can't help but think, I'm doing something wrong. It just seems a little too much. Once again - thanks to everyone for thir feedback! Frank

Thank you all for the replies. I had the phone for about two and a half days now, and I am up to 49MB. Yes - I'm playing on the phone more than I normally would just to get used to it, but I still think its alot for that very short period of time. I will tell you that most of the "playing" I'm doing is not really internet browsing. It is emails (mostly reading), lots of voice texts and Siri. My two daughters in collge have the 200MB data plan and use blackberries and they have never exceeded 100MB in one billing period. So, as many of you said, I will keep my eye on this. I have also taken the suggestion about closing out of the various applications, but it doesn't appear to have helped yet. I can't help but think, I'm doing something wrong. It just seems a little too much. Once again - thanks to everyone for thir feedback! Frank

9 of 12 (585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 7:53:26 AM
(0)
Guru
In the 15 months of having an iPhone (first the 4 now the 4s) I've only exceeded 200mb twice; when I first got the 4 and now the first month with the 4s. I would start with the 2GB plan and monitor your usage especially while playing around with your new toy. You can always downgrade to 200mb.
In the 15 months of having an iPhone (first the 4 now the 4s) I've only exceeded 200mb twice; when I first got the 4 and now the first month with the 4s. I would start with the 2GB plan and monitor your usage especially while playing around with your new toy. You can always downgrade to 200mb.

10 of 12 (563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 8:08:31 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by the gryphon on Nov 19, 2011 at 8:12:14 AM

There's definitely an issue with IOS5. Perhaps this relates to the battery issue. My husband has the 200mb and we were facing the same issue. And I'm a long time iphone user.

Go in to icloud and turn off anything you don't need. In "manage storage" on icloud delete any backups you don't need (like, the news your urban spoon settings etc, do we really need to back up our urban spoon preferences?). Go through ALL your settings and make sure any setting that says "do it while on cellular" or whatever the exact words are, is unchecked. Go into location settings, and turn off any of those you don't need (facebook etc), then scroll down to system services and turn off all of those except cell network search. Especially diagnostics and usage.

I made these changes on my husbands phone and it's greatly reduced his data usage. (and he hasn't noticed at all).

There's definitely an issue with IOS5. Perhaps this relates to the battery issue. My husband has the 200mb and we were facing the same issue. And I'm a long time iphone user.

Go in to icloud and turn off anything you don't need. In "manage storage" on icloud delete any backups you don't need (like, the news your urban spoon settings etc, do we really need to back up our urban spoon preferences?). Go through ALL your settings and make sure any setting that says "do it while on cellular" or whatever the exact words are, is unchecked. Go into location settings, and turn off any of those you don't need (facebook etc), then scroll down to system services and turn off all of those except cell network search. Especially diagnostics and usage.

I made these changes on my husbands phone and it's greatly reduced his data usage. (and he hasn't noticed at all).

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (530 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 9:16:31 AM
(0)
Professor
I just double tapped the home button. I seen I had all kinds of apps running. So I heals the app until they started shaking. So I closed a lot the out. We will see if this improves battery life. I am happy to say I have unlimited data.
I just double tapped the home button. I seen I had all kinds of apps running. So I heals the app until they started shaking. So I closed a lot the out. We will see if this improves battery life. I am happy to say I have unlimited data.
hello!!!

12 of 12 (519 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments