Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 26, 2011
9:35:43 AM
View profile
IPHONE4 LOCKED

I bought an IPHONE from US which was locked to ATT. I can't use it with my operator, How can I unlock it from ATT and use it with my new operator which provide IPHONE service. Thank in advance.

Kamen

I bought an IPHONE from US which was locked to ATT. I can't use it with my operator, How can I unlock it from ATT and use it with my new operator which provide IPHONE service. Thank in advance.

Kamen

IPHONE4 LOCKED

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 12:07:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Who's turn is it to take this? Me?

Ah ok... no, your locked AT&T iPhone cannot be unlocked. They sell a Carrier Unlocked (NOT "No Contract" but actual Carrier Unlocked) version in the Apple Store or via Apple's web site. That is the one you want to buy to use with other carriers.

You can return the phone for a refund (if that's an option) or sell the phone, or look anywhere but here on the AT&T User to User support forum for ways to unlock it while voiding your warranty and possibly damaging the phone forever. AT&T will not unlock the phone.
Who's turn is it to take this? Me?

Ah ok... no, your locked AT&T iPhone cannot be unlocked. They sell a Carrier Unlocked (NOT "No Contract" but actual Carrier Unlocked) version in the Apple Store or via Apple's web site. That is the one you want to buy to use with other carriers.

You can return the phone for a refund (if that's an option) or sell the phone, or look anywhere but here on the AT&T User to User support forum for ways to unlock it while voiding your warranty and possibly damaging the phone forever. AT&T will not unlock the phone.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: IPHONE4 LOCKED

2 of 12 (2,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 5:19:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Confirmed: I tried again today to get it unlocked and AT&T representative replied with the following:

" At this time, AT&T does not have the unlock codes for any locked iPhone and Apple is not releasing the codes at this time either."

I will try again in a couple of months when my annual summer trip home to Italy is closer.

This policy is really annoying (yes, I know I can buy an unlocked phone or use roaming): I just hope that sooner or later they will change their policy. Maybe if enough people complain or call customer service (actually the latter probably will not work because if they start unlocking phones they will get more calls to get it unlocked...)

Confirmed: I tried again today to get it unlocked and AT&T representative replied with the following:

" At this time, AT&T does not have the unlock codes for any locked iPhone and Apple is not releasing the codes at this time either."

I will try again in a couple of months when my annual summer trip home to Italy is closer.

This policy is really annoying (yes, I know I can buy an unlocked phone or use roaming): I just hope that sooner or later they will change their policy. Maybe if enough people complain or call customer service (actually the latter probably will not work because if they start unlocking phones they will get more calls to get it unlocked...)

3 of 12 (2,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 5:33:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you guys would search the forums, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Since the first iPhone it has been AT&T's policy not to unlock iPhones. There are ways to unlock the phone, a google search will give you step by step directions from many different sources. Otherwise, you are stuck with AT&T.

If you guys would search the forums, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Since the first iPhone it has been AT&T's policy not to unlock iPhones. There are ways to unlock the phone, a google search will give you step by step directions from many different sources. Otherwise, you are stuck with AT&T.

4 of 12 (2,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 5:37:55 PM
(0)
Expert

lucadellamore wrote:

the att iphone will not be unlocked for the forseeable future, if you require a unlocked version of the ATT iphone eitehr wait a year or so to see if the polciy changes or sell your current att iphone on ebay and go t a apple store and purchase a unlocked iphone for a un-subsidized price. The att iphone has been locked ot the carrier since the first one game out and for the foresable future it will probably stay that way

lucadellamore wrote:

the att iphone will not be unlocked for the forseeable future, if you require a unlocked version of the ATT iphone eitehr wait a year or so to see if the polciy changes or sell your current att iphone on ebay and go t a apple store and purchase a unlocked iphone for a un-subsidized price. The att iphone has been locked ot the carrier since the first one game out and for the foresable future it will probably stay that way

5 of 12 (2,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 6:24:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Not trying to be rude or offensive, but you'd think that with as many threads about unlocking AT&T iPhones there are here, people would start to get the hint that iPhones that were not sold factory unlocked are locker to their carrier forever.

Maybe we should create another sub-topic titled 'iPhone Unlock' or a sticky thread to be placed at the top that people can peek at to get their definite answer?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Not trying to be rude or offensive, but you'd think that with as many threads about unlocking AT&T iPhones there are here, people would start to get the hint that iPhones that were not sold factory unlocked are locker to their carrier forever.

Maybe we should create another sub-topic titled 'iPhone Unlock' or a sticky thread to be placed at the top that people can peek at to get their definite answer?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (2,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 8:47:10 PM
(0)
Guru

There is a one and only "sure fire" method to unlock any Iphone ever made.

Buy 51% of all Apple stock, Vote yourself in as CEO and Chairman of the board. Then you can tell them to unlock your phone.

See. Simple

There is a one and only "sure fire" method to unlock any Iphone ever made.

Buy 51% of all Apple stock, Vote yourself in as CEO and Chairman of the board. Then you can tell them to unlock your phone.

See. Simple

7 of 12 (2,668 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 10:09:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Or maybe AT&T will start to get the hint that their behavior is alienating customer (especially now that we have the option to switch carrier) and they will change their policy (or force Apple to change its policy, it is not clear from reply I got whoase fault it is, Apple or AT&T). I will switch carrier at the end of the 2 years, not because I am unhappy with AT&T but only because I want to use my Italian SIM in the summer without buying 2 phones. I think it is important that AT&T knows it. Then they can still decide to keep their current policy, but at least they have some data to base their decisions on. And maybe if someone inside AT&T wants to change policy they can use these posts to back up their opinion (yes, it seems silly but in the corporate world sometimes an argument backed up by customer quotes can get more attention, I used that trick a couple of times).

Or maybe AT&T will start to get the hint that their behavior is alienating customer (especially now that we have the option to switch carrier) and they will change their policy (or force Apple to change its policy, it is not clear from reply I got whoase fault it is, Apple or AT&T). I will switch carrier at the end of the 2 years, not because I am unhappy with AT&T but only because I want to use my Italian SIM in the summer without buying 2 phones. I think it is important that AT&T knows it. Then they can still decide to keep their current policy, but at least they have some data to base their decisions on. And maybe if someone inside AT&T wants to change policy they can use these posts to back up their opinion (yes, it seems silly but in the corporate world sometimes an argument backed up by customer quotes can get more attention, I used that trick a couple of times).

8 of 12 (2,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:00:09 AM
(0)
Professor

locked to AT&T and AT&T will not unlock it neither will apple that's the way it is!! this topic been posted so many times on this forum. maybe the mod should make a  sticky SAYING IPHONES LOCKED TO AT&T CAN NOT BE UNLOCKED.

LIKE the 5th thread i seen on this topic.

locked to AT&T and AT&T will not unlock it neither will apple that's the way it is!! this topic been posted so many times on this forum. maybe the mod should make a  sticky SAYING IPHONES LOCKED TO AT&T CAN NOT BE UNLOCKED.

hello!!!

9 of 12 (2,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:47:05 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Dec 29, 2011 at 7:47:39 AM

graphite07 wrote:

Must mean the 5th thread on the first page alone.  LOL.  Many, many more than 5 threads on unlocking.

graphite07 wrote:

Must mean the 5th thread on the first page alone.  LOL.  Many, many more than 5 threads on unlocking.

[ Edited ]
10 of 12 (2,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:59:20 AM
(0)
Guru
You could make it a sticky and some people will still post because no one reads or searches the forum.
You could make it a sticky and some people will still post because no one reads or searches the forum.

11 of 12 (1,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 6:21:06 PM
(0)
Master

lucadellamore wrote:

I would bet that while this is important for some, ATT and Apple figure it is not a big deal for the massess who don't necessarily care.   Not saying their policy is right or wrong but those posting here are not exactly a majority of the users with iPHones.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

lucadellamore wrote:

I would bet that while this is important for some, ATT and Apple figure it is not a big deal for the massess who don't necessarily care.   Not saying their policy is right or wrong but those posting here are not exactly a majority of the users with iPHones.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

12 of 12 (1,958 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments