Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 12, 2011
5:41:42 AM
IOS 5 Upgrade

My iphone 4 currently has IOS 4.3.  I think there have been smaller updates since 4.3.  I was wondering when I update to 5.0 later in the day, will I have any issues going from 4.3 to 5.0.  I think my ipad has 4.3.5 or something like that.  I am just preparing it will take a while to update.

Also, is it necessary to back up while updating to IOS 5 since we will be able to back up to iClould once the update is finished.  That back up takes forever on my 8 year old PC. Smiley Indifferent

My iphone 4 currently has IOS 4.3.  I think there have been smaller updates since 4.3.  I was wondering when I update to 5.0 later in the day, will I have any issues going from 4.3 to 5.0.  I think my ipad has 4.3.5 or something like that.  I am just preparing it will take a while to update.

Also, is it necessary to back up while updating to IOS 5 since we will be able to back up to iClould once the update is finished.  That back up takes forever on my 8 year old PC. Smiley Indifferent

IOS 5 Upgrade

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 5:52:17 AM
(0)
Master

you can go straight to ios 5 via iTunes when it comes out.  As for the backup, the upgrade process will do that for you automatically.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

you can go straight to ios 5 via iTunes when it comes out.  As for the backup, the upgrade process will do that for you automatically.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: IOS 5 Upgrade

2 of 18 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 5:58:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Awemse to automatically going to 5.0 and aweomse to doing the backup. There goes 2 hours I will never get back. LOL
Awemse to automatically going to 5.0 and aweomse to doing the backup. There goes 2 hours I will never get back. LOL

3 of 18 (1,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 7:29:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

paepae805 wrote:
... There goes 2 hours I will never get back. LOL

Possibly longer if you try to apply the upgrade as soon as it is out.  You will be competing with several million others trying to do the same thing, so I bet the servers wil be very slow, if past major iOS updates are any indcator...

Smiley Sad

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

paepae805 wrote:

Possibly longer if you try to apply the upgrade as soon as it is out.  You will be competing with several million others trying to do the same thing, so I bet the servers wil be very slow, if past major iOS updates are any indcator...

Smiley Sad

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 18 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 7:36:30 AM
(0)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

paepae805 wrote:

Smiley Sad

At least it is only two devices this this - the 3GS and the 4.

GeekBoy wrote:

paepae805 wrote:

Smiley Sad

5 of 18 (1,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 7:57:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
Be careful with you iCloud backup. If you enable iCloud backup, first time it will upload all your 8G or whatever in your iPhone to iCloud. Hope you have large uplink. Normal DSL/U-verse uplink will not sufficient.
Be careful with you iCloud backup. If you enable iCloud backup, first time it will upload all your 8G or whatever in your iPhone to iCloud. Hope you have large uplink. Normal DSL/U-verse uplink will not sufficient.

6 of 18 (1,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:15:42 AM
(0)
Guru

Is there any indication as to when the iOS 5 update should be available today? I plugged in this AM but ended up upgrading to 4.3.5 only and now it still says its the most current.

-Rob

Is there any indication as to when the iOS 5 update should be available today? I plugged in this AM but ended up upgrading to 4.3.5 only and now it still says its the most current.

-Rob

7 of 18 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:23:47 AM
(0)
Mentor
I heard 10am Pacific time. Don't hold that as a firm answer
I heard 10am Pacific time. Don't hold that as a firm answer

8 of 18 (1,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:32:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

I wont be updating to iOS 5

I Plan on selling it when my 4s arrives Friday

I wont be updating to iOS 5

I Plan on selling it when my 4s arrives Friday

9 of 18 (1,566 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:46:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by akoxeno on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:47:58 AM

I thought I saw a thread on the Apple forum about a guy in FL claiming he now has iOS5 but I can't find the thread now as it was probably deleted quickly. (Apple deleted my thread about "preparing for shipment".) Anyone else in EST checked lately?

I thought I saw a thread on the Apple forum about a guy in FL claiming he now has iOS5 but I can't find the thread now as it was probably deleted quickly. (Apple deleted my thread about "preparing for shipment".) Anyone else in EST checked lately?

[ Edited ]
10 of 18 (1,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:51:30 AM
(0)
Guru
I'm in Atlanta. Still no joy.
I'm in Atlanta. Still no joy.

11 of 18 (938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:26:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Smiley Sad

And the iPod Touch 3rd Gen, iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPad 2, and I believe original iPad too...  Smiley Tongue

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

wingrider01 wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Smiley Sad

And the iPod Touch 3rd Gen, iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPad 2, and I believe original iPad too...  Smiley Tongue

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 18 (903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:36:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
12:35 in Philly. Still no luck.

13 of 18 (882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:37:24 AM
(0)
Guru

tinagallo379 wrote:

I believe previous iOS releases have been at or around 10a PST.  We'll see if this one follows suit...

tinagallo379 wrote:

I believe previous iOS releases have been at or around 10a PST.  We'll see if this one follows suit...

14 of 18 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:46:06 AM
(0)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Smiley Sad

not planing on upgrade for 3 or 4 weeks anyway, nothing in the upgrade that affects business users, unless I missed something

GeekBoy wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

Smiley Sad

not planing on upgrade for 3 or 4 weeks anyway, nothing in the upgrade that affects business users, unless I missed something

15 of 18 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 11:33:07 AM
(0)
Guru

Well the one big thing I have been looking forward to in iOS5 is the Notifications Center. I use my iPhone now literally as a personal assitant - but the one thing that annoyed me the most is that my old Windows Mobile phone handled notificaitons and reminders so much better, I hated everything else about it - but it did those very well especially when integrated to my Outlook. So for me - this new notifications center is a HUGE leap from a prodcutivity standpoint.

-Rob

Well the one big thing I have been looking forward to in iOS5 is the Notifications Center. I use my iPhone now literally as a personal assitant - but the one thing that annoyed me the most is that my old Windows Mobile phone handled notificaitons and reminders so much better, I hated everything else about it - but it did those very well especially when integrated to my Outlook. So for me - this new notifications center is a HUGE leap from a prodcutivity standpoint.

-Rob

16 of 18 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 11:49:22 AM
(0)
Guru

2:35 Atlanta Time - upgrading to iOS 5! Wish me luck... Smiley Surprised

2:35 Atlanta Time - upgrading to iOS 5! Wish me luck... Smiley Surprised

17 of 18 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 4:51:16 PM
(0)
Expert

rtapales wrote:

-Rob

that is what I use exchange 2010 and the iphone interface for

rtapales wrote:

-Rob

that is what I use exchange 2010 and the iphone interface for

18 of 18 (746 Views)