Helpful Links

IOS 5 Install Questiomn

Mentor

IOS 5 Install Questiomn

Does anyone know if IOS 5 wil be available right from the phone or does it have to go through ITunes first and then all future upgrades/backups will be from the phone itself/iCloud. 

Message 1 of 12
Scholar

Re: IOS 5 Install Questiomn

paepae805 wrote:

Does anyone know if IOS 5 wil be available right from the phone or does it have to go through ITunes first and then all future upgrades/backups will be from the phone itself/iCloud. 

From what we have been told, the phone will be able to update its OS over the air via wireless. You can also back your stuff up to iCloud. You don't absolutely need a computer to operate this phone.

Message 2 of 12

dww0311 wrote:

paepae805 wrote:

From what we have been told, the phone will be able to update its OS over the air via wireless. You can also back your stuff up to iCloud. You don't absolutely need a computer to operate this phone.

That is true for the iPhone 4S, which will be shipping with iOS5.  As to getting iOS5 installed on a 3GS or 4, you will need to install via iTunes 10.5, which should hopefully be coming out soon.  According to Apple, subsequent OS updates will not require a computer at all.

Message 3 of 12
Scholar

Well since that is a feature of IOS 5, wouldn't you have to update the phone through iTunes to IOS 5 to take advantage of that feature in the future?

iCloud

Message 4 of 12
Mentor

I was thining with my Ipad and IP4, I would need to install via itunes and all subsequent updates will be wirelessly(sp). I hate that process cauase that takes so long.
Message 5 of 12
ACE - Professor

To install iOS 5, you must install it via iTunes. After that, you will be able to install updates over the air for all future releases as they become available. Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 12
Contributor

My son downloaded the IOS5 and lost his photos and phone list. How do you recover them?

Message 7 of 12

If you have made a backup on itunes just sync it. and if not, I dont think so..
Message 8 of 12
Master

How would I be able to install iOS 5 on an iPod Touch 4th Generation? I would assume that I would search for this via iTunes?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 9 of 12
ACE - Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:
How would I be able to install iOS 5 on an iPod Touch 4th Generation? I would assume that I would search for this via iTunes?

Indeed Wild. Smiley Happy As per previous updates, you would need to search iTunes for updates and follow the prompts for installation. Smiley Happy

After that update installs, you will be able to search for updates Over-the Air for all future iOS updates as they become available by going to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPod. =)

Hope that helps!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 12
Master

Thanks, Evandela! Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Teacher

You could try reverting back to Older version if sync doesn't work and if that fails you could at least try loading his old numbers from the sim card.
Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support