Posted Jul 3, 2010
2:12:06 PM
IMSI from ICC-ID still? (Re. AT&T-iPad security breach worse than first thought.)

According to http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/06/atts-ipad-security-breach-could-be-worse-than-initially-thought.ars?comments=1&start=40#comments-bar , AT&T used to calculate the IMSI from the ICC-ID, and this is a security problem, especially for iPad users.  Does AT&T still do that?  If not, when did it stop doing so?

IMSI from ICC-ID still? (Re. AT&T-iPad security breach worse than first thought.)

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 2:32:24 AM
(0)
Master

The nasty little secret, as I know some people who are working on this issue, is that most major GSM carriers around the world do this.

Re: IMSI from ICC-ID still? (Re. AT&T-iPad security breach worse than first thought.)

2 of 4 (620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 12:08:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by AboutToGoPostal on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:09:40 PM

BrianfromNO wrote:

The nasty little secret, as I know some people who are working on this issue, is that most major GSM carriers around the world do this.

Thanks.  I'll take that as 'The answer is yes, but I'm not about to come out and say so and make T look bad.'

Anyone else?

Re: IMSI from ICC-ID still? (Re. AT&T-iPad security breach worse than first thought.)

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 6:10:36 AM
(0)
Master

The answer is anyone who knows isn't talking.  You're probably barking up the wrong tree in this forum, since this is a decidedly non-technical group.  

And you can take it however you want, but my statement remains true.  This is not an "AT&T issue"...it's a "GSM carriers the world over were caught with their pants down" issue.  Why don't you do a bit of research on the issue, rather than occasionally strolling in here to be spoonfed.  Start here, then go here, and remember that Google is your friend.

4 of 4 (590 Views)