Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 20, 2012
7:40:18 PM
View profile
ICS was released for Galaxy S2 today..

Looks like ICS has been released for our GS2s today, looks like its kind of hit and miss on if you get it right away but the way to get it is to connect your phone to your computer/Kies and if your one of the lucky ones you will get the update... 

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Offical Samsung release page

Samsung Firmware

Looks like ICS has been released for our GS2s today, looks like its kind of hit and miss on if you get it right away but the way to get it is to connect your phone to your computer/Kies and if your one of the lucky ones you will get the update... 

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Offical Samsung release page

Samsung Firmware

ICS was released for Galaxy S2 today..

58 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 11:36:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
It is 4.0.3.
It is 4.0.3.

Re: ICS was released for Galaxy S2 today..

31 of 59 (3,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 11:45:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

redhot4400 wrote:
When the update was progressing via Kies, there the properties should be shown. Or how long it was taken n how many kbps/mbps was the connection speed was while the update was processing??

I didn't look or see any of those stats... it didn't take long. I was doing it from PC connected to high-speed internet, though. 

redhot4400 wrote:
When the update was progressing via Kies, there the properties should be shown. Or how long it was taken n how many kbps/mbps was the connection speed was while the update was processing??

I didn't look or see any of those stats... it didn't take long. I was doing it from PC connected to high-speed internet, though. 

32 of 59 (3,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 3:52:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

so im trying to update my phone, and it's telling me i can't update my phone through the kies software. at first i thought it was cause i'm on a mac, but i swtiched to PC to get the same message..

so im trying to update my phone, and it's telling me i can't update my phone through the kies software. at first i thought it was cause i'm on a mac, but i swtiched to PC to get the same message..

33 of 59 (3,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 5:36:18 PM
(0)
Voyager

The update is working right now if your getting the Kies cannot update you device you need to update your Kies software.

The update is working right now if your getting the Kies cannot update you device you need to update your Kies software.

34 of 59 (3,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 8:57:43 AM
(0)
Scholar
at last AT&T and Samsung announced ICS OS for AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII in Samsung official webpage -
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#
at last AT&T and Samsung announced ICS OS for AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII in Samsung official webpage -
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

35 of 59 (2,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 9:51:05 AM
(0)
Scholar
useful info for the update of AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII -
http://www.attwp.com/2012/06/i777icsupdate/
useful info for the update of AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII -
http://www.attwp.com/2012/06/i777icsupdate/

36 of 59 (2,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 10:14:06 AM
(0)
Voyager

update for sgh i777 is buggy and i see considerable lag while moving around. Email sync and notification system is completely buggy. i am not getting any notification sound alerts. At least for ginger bread it was flawless. And battery life is same no improvement.
hope AT&T will fix it soon

update for sgh i777 is buggy and i see considerable lag while moving around. Email sync and notification system is completely buggy. i am not getting any notification sound alerts. At least for ginger bread it was flawless. And battery life is same no improvement.
hope AT&T will fix it soon

37 of 59 (2,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 10:25:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
After so many months AT&T should release a good OS at least
After so many months AT&T should release a good OS at least

38 of 59 (2,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 1:03:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you think that AT&T is not committed to its customers, why do you sit here waiting around drooling for ICS?

AT&T must be happy with this one way committment.

Sorry, for being so harsh, but why are you waiting? I have been on CM9 for months now, it took some time to come to a conclusion that AT&T would not be proactive and that I had to take matters in my own hands. That was very liberating and rewarding.

There is probably a kid in your neighborhood that canhelp you root your device and put CM9 on it.

If you think that AT&T is not committed to its customers, why do you sit here waiting around drooling for ICS?

AT&T must be happy with this one way committment.

Sorry, for being so harsh, but why are you waiting? I have been on CM9 for months now, it took some time to come to a conclusion that AT&T would not be proactive and that I had to take matters in my own hands. That was very liberating and rewarding.

There is probably a kid in your neighborhood that canhelp you root your device and put CM9 on it.

39 of 59 (2,867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 2:11:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am not going to root until 1 yr warranty is up. even then the rooters have problems with ICS. I am going to wait a week or so on ICS for ATT s2 then see what happens. If the verdict is mostly good on the ATT official version of ICS ill get it. Quite frankly I am always very worried to mess with an operting system that you have no big complaints with. I may even wait until ICS 4.1 unless I see no issue out there for most S2 users on the "death star network" (ATT)

I am not going to root until 1 yr warranty is up. even then the rooters have problems with ICS. I am going to wait a week or so on ICS for ATT s2 then see what happens. If the verdict is mostly good on the ATT official version of ICS ill get it. Quite frankly I am always very worried to mess with an operting system that you have no big complaints with. I may even wait until ICS 4.1 unless I see no issue out there for most S2 users on the "death star network" (ATT)

40 of 59 (2,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 2:30:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
>>> I may even wait until ICS 4.1

Ummm ... I believe 4.1 will not be Ice Cream Sandwich. It'll be Jellybean (should be announced this week?), and I doubt you'll ever see an official Jellybean release for the I777.

Ummm ... I believe 4.1 will not be Ice Cream Sandwich. It'll be Jellybean (should be announced this week?), and I doubt you'll ever see an official Jellybean release for the I777.

41 of 59 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 2:37:26 PM
(0)
Scholar
When the final CM9 is released, I might consider it. But I can't spend time on "nightly builds". Also, if AT&T screws things up, at least there's a warranty!
When the final CM9 is released, I might consider it. But I can't spend time on "nightly builds". Also, if AT&T screws things up, at least there's a warranty!

42 of 59 (2,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 2:45:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

UnusualSuspect wrote:

Ok then 4.0.4+ (4.0.9)...I dont want to screw up what I have with gingerbread. Once you updrade I am assuming you cant go back to gingerbread?

UnusualSuspect wrote:

Ok then 4.0.4+ (4.0.9)...I dont want to screw up what I have with gingerbread. Once you updrade I am assuming you cant go back to gingerbread?

43 of 59 (2,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 3:15:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

UnusualSuspect wrote:

I fully expect 4.1 for the I777. Google, Samsung and AT&T pledged a commitment to timely upgrade releases for the first 18 months of most new phones. This help lure me and many other customers away from the Apple world. As one of the most popular Android devices, this phone should be on the list. We bought our phones under that commitment and we should hold AT&T to their end of the bargain. It's sad how long this upgrade has taken.

Some people will argue that we should have known better, but this was the first major android update since the commitment was released. Their previous mistakes were acknowledged and things would be different this time.

UnusualSuspect wrote:

I fully expect 4.1 for the I777. Google, Samsung and AT&T pledged a commitment to timely upgrade releases for the first 18 months of most new phones. This help lure me and many other customers away from the Apple world. As one of the most popular Android devices, this phone should be on the list. We bought our phones under that commitment and we should hold AT&T to their end of the bargain. It's sad how long this upgrade has taken.

Some people will argue that we should have known better, but this was the first major android update since the commitment was released. Their previous mistakes were acknowledged and things would be different this time.

44 of 59 (2,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 3:28:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

hertzsae wrote:

UnusualSuspect wrote:

I agree. I just want to GAIN not LOOSE what I have now with gingerbread. Looks like jelly bean might be 4.1. Does not matter. the issue is what will work with S2. If 4.0.4 works likely 4.1 will as well.

On the 4.1 vs 5.0 mini controversey see below.... Geeez this is as bad as iphone 4s vs iphone 5. just have to wait people until the middle earth drones can crank out more code for bigger phone processors.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-wireless/20574/android-41-jelly-bean-reminder-technology-i...

hertzsae wrote:

UnusualSuspect wrote:

I agree. I just want to GAIN not LOOSE what I have now with gingerbread. Looks like jelly bean might be 4.1. Does not matter. the issue is what will work with S2. If 4.0.4 works likely 4.1 will as well.

On the 4.1 vs 5.0 mini controversey see below.... Geeez this is as bad as iphone 4s vs iphone 5. just have to wait people until the middle earth drones can crank out more code for bigger phone processors.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-wireless/20574/android-41-jelly-bean-reminder-technology-innovation-curve-and-how-it-easy-become-jaded

45 of 59 (2,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2012 11:00:18 AM
(0)
Guru

hertzsae wrote:

UnusualSuspect wrote:

Absolutely nothing has come out of that pledge.  Look at Gingerbread for the Captivate and Infuse - 9 month delay for Cappy, 6 months for Infuse.

hertzsae wrote:

UnusualSuspect wrote:

Absolutely nothing has come out of that pledge.  Look at Gingerbread for the Captivate and Infuse - 9 month delay for Cappy, 6 months for Infuse.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

46 of 59 (2,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2012 2:43:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ok, I have the update now and I'm getting massive standby battery drain.... Smiley Sad Anyone else seeing this issue??? Charged to 100% before bed last night, this morning, (~ 6 hours) battery is below 60%... That's the second time this has happened and likely the last. I love the phone, but have zero patience for this stuff. With the amount of time between google releasing the update and now, there's really no excuse for not properly testing something out to avoid these issues. Very disappointing. Barry J.
Ok, I have the update now and I'm getting massive standby battery drain.... Smiley Sad Anyone else seeing this issue??? Charged to 100% before bed last night, this morning, (~ 6 hours) battery is below 60%... That's the second time this has happened and likely the last. I love the phone, but have zero patience for this stuff. With the amount of time between google releasing the update and now, there's really no excuse for not properly testing something out to avoid these issues. Very disappointing. Barry J.

47 of 59 (2,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2012 9:50:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

BarryJohnson wrote:

Just did the 403 install. To tell you the truth it looks like a minor cosmetic upgrade. Ill assume that was because ATT watered down ICS so much. I hope I can remove all the att "droppings" from ICS better than gingerbread. So far so good but I really think based on what I see so far that ICS was WAAAAY overhyped.  Now if I get less battery life for this I am going to be pis_ed.

As far as your batt life take a look at juice defender and all the other apps out there to save batt life. I seldom get more than 12 hrs uptime on my phone and 90% of the time its on wifi. I will watch the ICS and see what happens. I think battery life is a lot like gas mileage on cars. lots of variables

BarryJohnson wrote:

Just did the 403 install. To tell you the truth it looks like a minor cosmetic upgrade. Ill assume that was because ATT watered down ICS so much. I hope I can remove all the att "droppings" from ICS better than gingerbread. So far so good but I really think based on what I see so far that ICS was WAAAAY overhyped.  Now if I get less battery life for this I am going to be pis_ed.

As far as your batt life take a look at juice defender and all the other apps out there to save batt life. I seldom get more than 12 hrs uptime on my phone and 90% of the time its on wifi. I will watch the ICS and see what happens. I think battery life is a lot like gas mileage on cars. lots of variables

48 of 59 (2,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 7:45:11 AM
(0)
Guru

swh-usa wrote:

BarryJohnson wrote:

Touchwizz ICS itself is highly "gingerbready" even on I9100.  However the mangling is, as always, significantly worse on AT&T.

Unhappiness with Touchwizz on ICS (and the fact that it reverted many of the UI improvements of ICS back to GB) is one of the reasons why AOSP-based firmware such as CM9 is so popular on Galaxy S2-series devices.  With Gingerbread, the "minor annoyances" often present in the bringup of an AOSP-based firmware on a device not supported by AOSP were enough to make many not want to deal with them.  With ICS - the disappointment of Touchwizz ICS has made a lot of people choose AOSP.  The benefit of this is that more developers are pitching in, so the "minor annoyances" are far fewer.  IMO, CM9 for I777 is FAR more highly polished than CM7 ever was for I777.

With Gingerbread, I just stuck in Touchwizz-land and occasionally threw patches over to the CM guys.  With ICS, I'm now a CM9 co-maintainer of two devices, will likely be the maintainer of a third (Infuse) once I fix a few more bugs, and all of my devices but one run CM9.  (I haven't had time to do a bringup on my Galaxy Player 5.0 yet...)

swh-usa wrote:

BarryJohnson wrote:

Touchwizz ICS itself is highly "gingerbready" even on I9100.  However the mangling is, as always, significantly worse on AT&T.

Unhappiness with Touchwizz on ICS (and the fact that it reverted many of the UI improvements of ICS back to GB) is one of the reasons why AOSP-based firmware such as CM9 is so popular on Galaxy S2-series devices.  With Gingerbread, the "minor annoyances" often present in the bringup of an AOSP-based firmware on a device not supported by AOSP were enough to make many not want to deal with them.  With ICS - the disappointment of Touchwizz ICS has made a lot of people choose AOSP.  The benefit of this is that more developers are pitching in, so the "minor annoyances" are far fewer.  IMO, CM9 for I777 is FAR more highly polished than CM7 ever was for I777.

With Gingerbread, I just stuck in Touchwizz-land and occasionally threw patches over to the CM guys.  With ICS, I'm now a CM9 co-maintainer of two devices, will likely be the maintainer of a third (Infuse) once I fix a few more bugs, and all of my devices but one run CM9.  (I haven't had time to do a bringup on my Galaxy Player 5.0 yet...)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

49 of 59 (2,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 7:58:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well I had to look up AOSP and CM9 but i book marked the latter. if I could not void my one year warranty from ATT I would do that but right now I am not ready to do that. Another 6 mo and I will off warranty but I am really afraid that this will take me like 6 hrs to learn how to do all this "rooting" stuff.. I hope in 6 mo they are on CM20 and ICS 4.0.9 or better yet jelly bean 4.1 and I can put that on the phone. I just dont want to brick it or loose features. Like I said right now everything seems to be working now. I am not unhappy with the phone or ICS/ATT version. As with everything computer wise, I have learned over the years not to change OS's if you are getting 90% of what you want from the old OS

Well I had to look up AOSP and CM9 but i book marked the latter. if I could not void my one year warranty from ATT I would do that but right now I am not ready to do that. Another 6 mo and I will off warranty but I am really afraid that this will take me like 6 hrs to learn how to do all this "rooting" stuff.. I hope in 6 mo they are on CM20 and ICS 4.0.9 or better yet jelly bean 4.1 and I can put that on the phone. I just dont want to brick it or loose features. Like I said right now everything seems to be working now. I am not unhappy with the phone or ICS/ATT version. As with everything computer wise, I have learned over the years not to change OS's if you are getting 90% of what you want from the old OS

50 of 59 (2,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 6:39:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

Is it even worth installing the ICS update? It seems like it isn't that much different. 

Is it even worth installing the ICS update? It seems like it isn't that much different. 

51 of 59 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 6:55:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

bender991 wrote:

Maps are better and you can pre cashe map area for offline use where no att service (lots of places). Also dictation of emails and text much better. that alone was worth it. so far I am not seeing a lot of downside. I just thought the upside would be bigger

bender991 wrote:

Maps are better and you can pre cashe map area for offline use where no att service (lots of places). Also dictation of emails and text much better. that alone was worth it. so far I am not seeing a lot of downside. I just thought the upside would be bigger

52 of 59 (2,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 7:09:48 AM
(0)
Guru

swh-usa wrote:

There's a return-to-stock thread on XDA, although I need to reupload a nonrooted image for those that don't want to manually unroot.  It's actually quite difficult to hardbrick Samsung devices - as long as you don't flash bootloaders you will be OK, with the exception of Samsung's eMMC bug which is easy to avoid on the I777 - simply do not run stock kernels and you will be safe.

Right now you're at more risk of damage to your device with the stock firmware due to Samsung's eMMC bug.  Wiping in recovery can damage the flash chip semi-permanently.  Samsung believes their method of wiping is safe (it does differ from CWM's default behavior), but I've seen enough reports of damage in the N7000 community that I don't fully trust it.

Some of the senior developers on XDA are working with Samsung on a solution to this problem.  If things go well (it depends on Samsung management giving permission to release certain components), Exynos-based Galaxy S II devices will become unbrickable as long as you have backed up your EFS partition to a safe place.

The kernels in all custom I777 firmware releases block all erase commands from hitting the chip, so cannot trigger the bug.

swh-usa wrote:

There's a return-to-stock thread on XDA, although I need to reupload a nonrooted image for those that don't want to manually unroot.  It's actually quite difficult to hardbrick Samsung devices - as long as you don't flash bootloaders you will be OK, with the exception of Samsung's eMMC bug which is easy to avoid on the I777 - simply do not run stock kernels and you will be safe.

Right now you're at more risk of damage to your device with the stock firmware due to Samsung's eMMC bug.  Wiping in recovery can damage the flash chip semi-permanently.  Samsung believes their method of wiping is safe (it does differ from CWM's default behavior), but I've seen enough reports of damage in the N7000 community that I don't fully trust it.

Some of the senior developers on XDA are working with Samsung on a solution to this problem.  If things go well (it depends on Samsung management giving permission to release certain components), Exynos-based Galaxy S II devices will become unbrickable as long as you have backed up your EFS partition to a safe place.

The kernels in all custom I777 firmware releases block all erase commands from hitting the chip, so cannot trigger the bug.

53 of 59 (2,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 9:18:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

Entropy512 wrote:

I can appreciate all that but I would suspect that less that 5% of S2 owners in USA are doing all this ROM flashing stuff. That is quite advanced and very easy to screw up for amatures. One an noob fouls up the phone they are done. ATT will say sorry dude that will be 600.00 for new phone as you are only 1 yr into 2 yr contract. lol  Id love to see a poll on what % of users are doing all this "ROM" stuff. I get the sense its about the same number of users that use Linux on the desktop. lol

I am pretty computer savvy and quite frankly what you are saying is mostly greek to me. I have heard the terms before but dont know what they mean in terms of hands on fiddling with the OS on the i777

Entropy512 wrote:

I can appreciate all that but I would suspect that less that 5% of S2 owners in USA are doing all this ROM flashing stuff. That is quite advanced and very easy to screw up for amatures. One an noob fouls up the phone they are done. ATT will say sorry dude that will be 600.00 for new phone as you are only 1 yr into 2 yr contract. lol  Id love to see a poll on what % of users are doing all this "ROM" stuff. I get the sense its about the same number of users that use Linux on the desktop. lol

I am pretty computer savvy and quite frankly what you are saying is mostly greek to me. I have heard the terms before but dont know what they mean in terms of hands on fiddling with the OS on the i777

54 of 59 (2,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 9:57:17 AM
(0)
Contributor
a promise.... from ATT ?? Ha ha ha ha! That is funny!
a promise.... from ATT ?? Ha ha ha ha! That is funny!

55 of 59 (2,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 11:38:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

BarryJohnson wrote:

I am getting about 14 hrs uptime on wifi (80%). Not too much talking. screen dimmed with juice defender added. quite frankly I dont see any batt diff vs Gingerbread

BarryJohnson wrote:

I am getting about 14 hrs uptime on wifi (80%). Not too much talking. screen dimmed with juice defender added. quite frankly I dont see any batt diff vs Gingerbread

56 of 59 (2,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 9:16:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Lyresti on Jun 30, 2012 at 9:17:42 AM

It looks like there are several people having an issue with notifications not having sound or vibration after the ICS upgrade. Did anyone happen to find a fix for this?

It looks like there are several people having an issue with notifications not having sound or vibration after the ICS upgrade. Did anyone happen to find a fix for this?

[ Edited ]
57 of 59 (2,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 9:21:13 AM
(0)
Teacher
I am having a lot of issues! I hope someone will tell me how to downgrade.
I am having a lot of issues! I hope someone will tell me how to downgrade.

58 of 59 (2,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2012 2:03:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

the no sound on notifications is really annoying, and i seem to missing phone calls now too...they had plenty of time to get this right

the no sound on notifications is really annoying, and i seem to missing phone calls now too...they had plenty of time to get this right

59 of 59 (2,071 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments