Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 20, 2012
7:40:18 PM
View profile
ICS was released for Galaxy S2 today..

Looks like ICS has been released for our GS2s today, looks like its kind of hit and miss on if you get it right away but the way to get it is to connect your phone to your computer/Kies and if your one of the lucky ones you will get the update... 

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Offical Samsung release page

Samsung Firmware

Looks like ICS has been released for our GS2s today, looks like its kind of hit and miss on if you get it right away but the way to get it is to connect your phone to your computer/Kies and if your one of the lucky ones you will get the update... 

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Offical Samsung release page

Samsung Firmware

ICS was released for Galaxy S2 today..

58 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 7:57:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

So you actually did get ICS today?  What country are you in?

Re: ICS was released for Galaxy S2 today..

2 of 59 (5,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 8:05:10 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:10:29 PM

josephi wrote:

No I didn't but have friends on a different forum who did, the ones reporting receiving it were AT&T US users.. I've been running ICS for a few months already (not the "official" version) so I won't be updating to the released version but wanted to let you guys know it was out..

josephi wrote:

No I didn't but have friends on a different forum who did, the ones reporting receiving it were AT&T US users.. I've been running ICS for a few months already (not the "official" version) so I won't be updating to the released version but wanted to let you guys know it was out..

[ Edited ]
3 of 59 (5,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 8:24:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

The i777?

Cool..........

Wish I could get ICS in a few days.

Thanks.

The i777?

Cool..........

Wish I could get ICS in a few days.

Thanks.

4 of 59 (5,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 10:43:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

The i777 is not our phone. I727 is what you should looking out for. Rogers released ICS for their variant of our phone but it is not compatible with ours.

The i777 is not our phone. I727 is what you should looking out for. Rogers released ICS for their variant of our phone but it is not compatible with ours.

5 of 59 (5,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 12:58:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
If OS ICS is available for Samsung Galxy SII, Samsung Galxy SII Skyrocket Or, Note then it will be announced in the webpage - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#
If OS ICS is available for Samsung Galxy SII, Samsung Galxy SII Skyrocket Or, Note then it will be announced in the webpage - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

6 of 59 (5,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 2:47:59 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jun 21, 2012 at 5:38:56 AM

Actually, I777 IS our phone, as this post is in reference to the Galaxy S2, NOT the Skyrocket, which is I727. Either way, redhot4400 is correct. I talked to both Samsung and AT&T earlier, and they both stated that the update has not been officially posted. I know that SAMmobile has a link to an updated firmware, Engadget has an article on this and Android Central does as well, however the update that might have been out there was pulled from Kies, and the OTA servers. AT&T and Samsung both stated they WOULD NOT offer support for any unofficial updates.  Also, from what I am seeing on other forums, the results are a mixed batch, 50% of the installs that made it before the update was pulled are reporting some sort of latency issue with the display and apps. Several more are complaining of botched installs via Kies, requiring them to use emergency firmware recovery, or unsupported Odin to flash the file available at SAMmobile.

Its absolutely terrible that we are STILL waiting for this update to come out, and when it does its likely to be full of bloat ware and bugs. I LOVE my GSGII, even though it is the I777 version and not the international unlocked version, but I will not make the mistake of buying into a carrier branded, modified  Frankenstein version of a phone again. The GSIII I purchase will be the real deal, quad-core, non-carrier bloat ware filled, and unlocked. Not a carrier branded, bloat ware filled regurgitated version with an inferior processor. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Actually, I777 IS our phone, as this post is in reference to the Galaxy S2, NOT the Skyrocket, which is I727. Either way, redhot4400 is correct. I talked to both Samsung and AT&T earlier, and they both stated that the update has not been officially posted. I know that SAMmobile has a link to an updated firmware, Engadget has an article on this and Android Central does as well, however the update that might have been out there was pulled from Kies, and the OTA servers. AT&T and Samsung both stated they WOULD NOT offer support for any unofficial updates.  Also, from what I am seeing on other forums, the results are a mixed batch, 50% of the installs that made it before the update was pulled are reporting some sort of latency issue with the display and apps. Several more are complaining of botched installs via Kies, requiring them to use emergency firmware recovery, or unsupported Odin to flash the file available at SAMmobile.

Its absolutely terrible that we are STILL waiting for this update to come out, and when it does its likely to be full of bloat ware and bugs. I LOVE my GSGII, even though it is the I777 version and not the international unlocked version, but I will not make the mistake of buying into a carrier branded, modified  Frankenstein version of a phone again. The GSIII I purchase will be the real deal, quad-core, non-carrier bloat ware filled, and unlocked. Not a carrier branded, bloat ware filled regurgitated version with an inferior processor. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
7 of 59 (5,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

8 of 59 (5,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 7:35:48 AM
(0)
Guru

Also, until source code is posted and can be reviewed, it should be assumed that I777 releases contain the trigger conditions for the "eMMC brick bug" that has been plaguing the N7000 lately.

Mention of this did hit XDA but most people just don't care, we've had I9100 firmware 100% ported since March.

Also, until source code is posted and can be reviewed, it should be assumed that I777 releases contain the trigger conditions for the "eMMC brick bug" that has been plaguing the N7000 lately.

Mention of this did hit XDA but most people just don't care, we've had I9100 firmware 100% ported since March.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

9 of 59 (5,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 1:33:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Tried the KBase solution noted above, downloaded Kies and sure enough the update doesn't show up.  Talked to both AT&T and Samsung support, and neither knew anything about it... 

Now they are just messing with us.  Not cool.

Tried the KBase solution noted above, downloaded Kies and sure enough the update doesn't show up.  Talked to both AT&T and Samsung support, and neither knew anything about it... 

Now they are just messing with us.  Not cool.

10 of 59 (4,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 2:08:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

This is such a joke. Someone at AT&T had to post the official support article with instructions on updating our phones and someone at Samsung had to explicitly release the update to Kies, yet both companies are acting as if they have no idea what's going on. This update should have been released several months ago; the fact that it hasn't been released is a sign of AT&T's (non)committment to its customers (and, indeed, the app/mobile-web industry that depends on devices being up-to-date). 

I'm sick of these ridiculous games and all the bloatware. I'm buying unlocked phones from here on out.

This is such a joke. Someone at AT&T had to post the official support article with instructions on updating our phones and someone at Samsung had to explicitly release the update to Kies, yet both companies are acting as if they have no idea what's going on. This update should have been released several months ago; the fact that it hasn't been released is a sign of AT&T's (non)committment to its customers (and, indeed, the app/mobile-web industry that depends on devices being up-to-date). 

I'm sick of these ridiculous games and all the bloatware. I'm buying unlocked phones from here on out.

11 of 59 (4,867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 3:51:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Finally! Thanks,

How come it's not OTA?

Finally! Thanks,

How come it's not OTA?

12 of 59 (4,805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 9:19:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same here. Just tried the up date on two separate computers. both using wired connection and latest kies software. the update not there. Hey so far we are only about 4 mo behind EU on upgrades. Once I am off warranty I may go pure ICS. Att cannot do anything right. period

Same here. Just tried the up date on two separate computers. both using wired connection and latest kies software. the update not there. Hey so far we are only about 4 mo behind EU on upgrades. Once I am off warranty I may go pure ICS. Att cannot do anything right. period

13 of 59 (4,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 1:52:11 AM
(0)
Scholar
Today i get a reply from AT&T Facebook a/c. They saiy" sorry for any confusion. For your background, we do plan for the ICS upgrade to be live for the Galaxy SII very soon. We're still testing it out to make sure everything works smoothly. We recommend you wait to attempt the update. We're posting more information on this soon at this site: http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog."
Today i get a reply from AT&T Facebook a/c. They saiy" sorry for any confusion. For your background, we do plan for the ICS upgrade to be live for the Galaxy SII very soon. We're still testing it out to make sure everything works smoothly. We recommend you wait to attempt the update. We're posting more information on this soon at this site: http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog."

14 of 59 (4,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 4:18:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:20:32 AM

redhot4400 wrote:
Weird that blog says wait when AT&T has posted its release with instructions on updating.... https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414416&cv=820&_requestid=2655743#fbid=1NVh3nX1Fhg

redhot4400 wrote:
Weird that blog says wait when AT&T has posted its release with instructions on updating.... https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414416&cv=820&_requestid=2655743#fbid=1NVh3nX1Fhg

[ Edited ]
15 of 59 (4,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 8:32:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

16 of 59 (4,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 8:59:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

When ICS finally hits that Keis server its going to blow up with angry users all trying to get it. I did see a notice last night that Keis was going down fri nite into sat for some cryptic maint. Typical ATT. But Keis is run by Sammy so I guess Sammy had to wait for ATT to add some of their nice little bolatware and paid apps into ICS so they can try to trick a few people into buying service google provides for free. I love att. NOT

When ICS finally hits that Keis server its going to blow up with angry users all trying to get it. I did see a notice last night that Keis was going down fri nite into sat for some cryptic maint. Typical ATT. But Keis is run by Sammy so I guess Sammy had to wait for ATT to add some of their nice little bolatware and paid apps into ICS so they can try to trick a few people into buying service google provides for free. I love att. NOT

17 of 59 (4,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 9:46:27 AM
(0)
Guru

roblco wrote:

Finally! Thanks,

How come it's not OTA?

It's too large for an OTA.

roblco wrote:

Finally! Thanks,

How come it's not OTA?

It's too large for an OTA.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

18 of 59 (4,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 9:55:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah OTA no go. I kept checking not realizing this was going to be a Keis deal. I was going to try keis update via wifi but I decided against it as the wifi might go out on phone in the process. ATT does not warn agains that but only mentions using the USB cable and Keis. I really hope this all works and I dont get a brick

Yeah OTA no go. I kept checking not realizing this was going to be a Keis deal. I was going to try keis update via wifi but I decided against it as the wifi might go out on phone in the process. ATT does not warn agains that but only mentions using the USB cable and Keis. I really hope this all works and I dont get a brick

19 of 59 (4,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 8:11:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

My Kies has said for Months on my PC, "that it does not support software updates"  Has said this ever since update to 2.3.6 Gingerbread.  So how is one to do updates.  Have a friend that gets same message with his I-727 Skyrocket.

My Kies has said for Months on my PC, "that it does not support software updates"  Has said this ever since update to 2.3.6 Gingerbread.  So how is one to do updates.  Have a friend that gets same message with his I-727 Skyrocket.

20 of 59 (4,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 8:17:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
They have to fix Kies before skyrocket can receive updates. And i was told the other day by att cs(which prolly doesnt mean much) skyrocket update is due out mid august
They have to fix Kies before skyrocket can receive updates. And i was told the other day by att cs(which prolly doesnt mean much) skyrocket update is due out mid august

21 of 59 (4,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 8:44:07 PM
(0)
Scholar
They have had plenty of time to fix Kies over the Months with there updates to Kies
They have had plenty of time to fix Kies over the Months with there updates to Kies

22 of 59 (4,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 8:45:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

23 of 59 (4,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2012 9:41:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

go to samsung firmware website, download odin, patch yourself and bam, ICS... finally but guess what, i've already encountered many gltiches and freezes.. thanks at&t i waited months and still BROKEN firmware thanks very much.. buying international version and ridding my self of you!!!!

go to samsung firmware website, download odin, patch yourself and bam, ICS... finally but guess what, i've already encountered many gltiches and freezes.. thanks at&t i waited months and still BROKEN firmware thanks very much.. buying international version and ridding my self of you!!!!

24 of 59 (3,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 9:53:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

I successfully updated from Kies this morning. Everything is working fine so far. Smiley Happy

I successfully updated from Kies this morning. Everything is working fine so far. Smiley Happy

25 of 59 (3,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 10:05:45 AM
(0)
Voyager

Yes, I can confirm. I downloaded and updated via KIES this morning. The initial install failed to recognize my device when it began to download the update to the phone. Was prompted to remove the battery and restart. Everything went super smooth from that point forward. My Exchange email account, userid and password, were maintained as were my applications, wifi logon, etc. All looks good so far.

Yes, I can confirm. I downloaded and updated via KIES this morning. The initial install failed to recognize my device when it began to download the update to the phone. Was prompted to remove the battery and restart. Everything went super smooth from that point forward. My Exchange email account, userid and password, were maintained as were my applications, wifi logon, etc. All looks good so far.

26 of 59 (3,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 11:04:28 AM
(0)
Scholar
Evil_Homer said,"I successfully updated from Kies this morning. Everything is working fine so far".
SO you have ICS in your SII, thats a good news. How many MBs the ICS properties is?
I am so disappointed about AT&T and Samsung activities. because the main page (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#) of Update usa Samsung Smartphone is still not updated about AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII ICS update. AT&T also didn't announced it in their Facebook a/c or in their webpage easy way!! This not a professional way of a usa biggest telecommunication company.
Evil_Homer said,"I successfully updated from Kies this morning. Everything is working fine so far".
SO you have ICS in your SII, thats a good news. How many MBs the ICS properties is?
I am so disappointed about AT&T and Samsung activities. because the main page (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#) of Update usa Samsung Smartphone is still not updated about AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII ICS update. AT&T also didn't announced it in their Facebook a/c or in their webpage easy way!! This not a professional way of a usa biggest telecommunication company.

27 of 59 (3,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 11:26:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
Where do I check how many MBs the ICS properties is?
Where do I check how many MBs the ICS properties is?

28 of 59 (3,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 11:32:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
When the update was progressing via Kies, there the properties should be shown. Or how long it was taken n how many kbps/mbps was the connection speed was while the update was processing??
When the update was progressing via Kies, there the properties should be shown. Or how long it was taken n how many kbps/mbps was the connection speed was while the update was processing??

29 of 59 (3,579 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 11:33:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
what's the version of this Samsung SII ICS? is that 4.0.3??
what's the version of this Samsung SII ICS? is that 4.0.3??

30 of 59 (3,577 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments