Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 11, 2012
9:05:38 PM
View profile
I wish I could get the most out of my phone

Watching television, I see commercials for all the great things that I can do with my iPhone.  I see the commercials for all the multimedia functionality that television and cable broadcasters make available to me through my mobile device.  Browsing through the app store I see all these great applications that will stream music and video to me.  All this stuff that is available to me is excellent but I will probably never be able enjoy all the features my phone and application developers have to offer because of the way that data plans are structured.  Unless you have an unlimited data plan are you really going to watch television on your phone?  I'd love to stream Pandora when I'm away from home but won't because I don't want to go over on my plan.

Apple, as a manufacturer should really be offended by the fact that most carriers they do business with are in effect keeping the products they sell from reaching their potential in the consumers hands.

I'm sure that application developers are aware of the hobbling affect that these capped plans have on sales of applications that stream data.  As a result, they deliver products that they think will sell despite the plan caps.

I'm not a hater nor a cheap skate.  I'm just frustrated by data plan limitations imposed by carriers looking for ways to get more cash out of my wallet and I'm tired of having a phone in my pocket that I can't get the most out of (unless I'm on Wi-Fi)

Watching television, I see commercials for all the great things that I can do with my iPhone.  I see the commercials for all the multimedia functionality that television and cable broadcasters make available to me through my mobile device.  Browsing through the app store I see all these great applications that will stream music and video to me.  All this stuff that is available to me is excellent but I will probably never be able enjoy all the features my phone and application developers have to offer because of the way that data plans are structured.  Unless you have an unlimited data plan are you really going to watch television on your phone?  I'd love to stream Pandora when I'm away from home but won't because I don't want to go over on my plan.

Apple, as a manufacturer should really be offended by the fact that most carriers they do business with are in effect keeping the products they sell from reaching their potential in the consumers hands.

I'm sure that application developers are aware of the hobbling affect that these capped plans have on sales of applications that stream data.  As a result, they deliver products that they think will sell despite the plan caps.

I'm not a hater nor a cheap skate.  I'm just frustrated by data plan limitations imposed by carriers looking for ways to get more cash out of my wallet and I'm tired of having a phone in my pocket that I can't get the most out of (unless I'm on Wi-Fi)

I wish I could get the most out of my phone

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2012 10:12:32 PM
(0)
Guru

Don't know what to tell you, because I can't see things changing. Even cable and DSL carriers are starting to impose caps on their customers, although in general the caps are much more generous.

Cellular data usage has exploded faster than the carriers could keep up with its growth. While the carriers certainly share some blame for maximizing profits at the expense of everything else, the fact of the matter is that cellular network growth is not a simple operation. Negotiations with property owners, owners of right-of-way, and state & local regulatory agencies can take years before new towers are approved. In one of his last keynotes, Steve Jobs mentioned the fact that it takes 3 YEARS to put up a new cell tower in the San Francisco Bay Area.

As wireless carriers start to get ahead of the demand curve, we may see prices per GB of data come down...the $30/3GB plan may become a $30/5GB plan, but I think the days of "unlimited" data are long gone.

Don't know what to tell you, because I can't see things changing. Even cable and DSL carriers are starting to impose caps on their customers, although in general the caps are much more generous.

Cellular data usage has exploded faster than the carriers could keep up with its growth. While the carriers certainly share some blame for maximizing profits at the expense of everything else, the fact of the matter is that cellular network growth is not a simple operation. Negotiations with property owners, owners of right-of-way, and state & local regulatory agencies can take years before new towers are approved. In one of his last keynotes, Steve Jobs mentioned the fact that it takes 3 YEARS to put up a new cell tower in the San Francisco Bay Area.

As wireless carriers start to get ahead of the demand curve, we may see prices per GB of data come down...the $30/3GB plan may become a $30/5GB plan, but I think the days of "unlimited" data are long gone.

Re: I wish I could get the most out of my phone

2 of 5 (261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 5:32:02 AM
(0)
Former Employee
Believe it or not it costs a lot of money to build and operate a wireless network, especially when that network continuously has more and more demands placed on it. The change to tiered pricing is really intended to get users to pay for what they use. Imagine paying one price to the electric company for unlimited electricity. The electric companies would go out of business if they did that. Hopefully the price per gb will go down in the future as the download speeds go up but until then you really should just go ahead and enjoy your phone because 3gb is quite a lot of data. You would have to watch a lot of streaming video to use that much. As for pandora, one month I ran pandora for several hours every day to compare the phone's data count to billing and still didn't go over 1gb of data that month.
Believe it or not it costs a lot of money to build and operate a wireless network, especially when that network continuously has more and more demands placed on it. The change to tiered pricing is really intended to get users to pay for what they use. Imagine paying one price to the electric company for unlimited electricity. The electric companies would go out of business if they did that. Hopefully the price per gb will go down in the future as the download speeds go up but until then you really should just go ahead and enjoy your phone because 3gb is quite a lot of data. You would have to watch a lot of streaming video to use that much. As for pandora, one month I ran pandora for several hours every day to compare the phone's data count to billing and still didn't go over 1gb of data that month.

3 of 5 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 6:03:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:05:39 AM

MyParadigm wrote:

So, you're saying you wish you could afford more data? There are no LIMITS imposed at AT&T for data use on the metered plans - if you want to spend $10 to stream a video to you phone from netflix, AT&T is ecstatic to have you do so.

You can always simply choose a different phone, if you're having issues with the one you currently have. Perhaps a featurephone is what you're looking for?

For me, I've been using "smartphones" since 2005 (PPC-6700, on sprint) and I've managed to get full use out of the devices without the need for multiple GB of data - including the iPhone4. With 32GB of onboard storage and just a tiny bit of forethought, I seem to be able to carry tens of hours of video and audio content, easily refreshed daily over wifi, leaving the 2GB I am willing to pay for available for mobile, on demand data use.

Pandora streaming is a great example - how many hours a day are you planning on streaming pandora? How many of those hours are you NOT covered by wifi? Pandora streams at 64 Kbps, or about 28MB per hour. Listen for an hour a day, you'll use 890MB in a month. An hour is about 15 songs. 15 songs take up a tiny amount of memory. Maybe, crazy thought here, you could just load up your songs onto your device? 

I guess I don't understand your rant. Apple sells devices that people can choose to buy or not. They sell devices with and without cellular data connectivity. I suppose all those people buying iPads and iPod Touches with NO cellular capability are somehow getting ripped off too?

Data isn't free. Nor is it unlimited, on AT&T. You can choose Sprint (for the time being) if you want unlimited data on an iPhone.

MyParadigm wrote:

So, you're saying you wish you could afford more data? There are no LIMITS imposed at AT&T for data use on the metered plans - if you want to spend $10 to stream a video to you phone from netflix, AT&T is ecstatic to have you do so.

You can always simply choose a different phone, if you're having issues with the one you currently have. Perhaps a featurephone is what you're looking for?

For me, I've been using "smartphones" since 2005 (PPC-6700, on sprint) and I've managed to get full use out of the devices without the need for multiple GB of data - including the iPhone4. With 32GB of onboard storage and just a tiny bit of forethought, I seem to be able to carry tens of hours of video and audio content, easily refreshed daily over wifi, leaving the 2GB I am willing to pay for available for mobile, on demand data use.

Pandora streaming is a great example - how many hours a day are you planning on streaming pandora? How many of those hours are you NOT covered by wifi? Pandora streams at 64 Kbps, or about 28MB per hour. Listen for an hour a day, you'll use 890MB in a month. An hour is about 15 songs. 15 songs take up a tiny amount of memory. Maybe, crazy thought here, you could just load up your songs onto your device? 

I guess I don't understand your rant. Apple sells devices that people can choose to buy or not. They sell devices with and without cellular data connectivity. I suppose all those people buying iPads and iPod Touches with NO cellular capability are somehow getting ripped off too?

Data isn't free. Nor is it unlimited, on AT&T. You can choose Sprint (for the time being) if you want unlimited data on an iPhone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 7:41:35 AM
(0)
Professor
I doubt Apple is offended or even really cares. After all, even with data limits, tens of millions of iPhones are being sold (as well as their Android counterparts), so it doesn't seem to be affecting their bottom line in any way. Doubt it's affecting app purchases or development much either, for both Apple or droid. If it's something people want, they will either pay for the data, or try to only use it on WiFi.

It's very easy for Apple to take a populist position that data should be unlimited, but they aren't the ones who have to supply the data or pay for transmission upgrades or deal with bandwidth issues or network congestion. All that is outside Apple's business model and are the carrier's problem. Apple's laughing all the way to the bank.
I doubt Apple is offended or even really cares. After all, even with data limits, tens of millions of iPhones are being sold (as well as their Android counterparts), so it doesn't seem to be affecting their bottom line in any way. Doubt it's affecting app purchases or development much either, for both Apple or droid. If it's something people want, they will either pay for the data, or try to only use it on WiFi.

It's very easy for Apple to take a populist position that data should be unlimited, but they aren't the ones who have to supply the data or pay for transmission upgrades or deal with bandwidth issues or network congestion. All that is outside Apple's business model and are the carrier's problem. Apple's laughing all the way to the bank.

5 of 5 (225 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments