Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 6, 2012
12:27:06 AM
View profile
I was Charged Early Termination Fee and need help sorting it out

So this is a bit hard to follow and I will do my best to explain it with the least amount of confusion. 

Back in june 2010 (I believe it was june atleast) I upgraded to my iphone 4 the week after releasal. I lived with my parents at the time and worked three jobs to support myself. I was a high school drop out and struggling to pay for bills. Due to some turbulence in my family situation my mom evicted me from the house. I agreed to continue to pay the bills because of just renewing my contract. I went house to house for a couple months until a family had taken me in to their home and offered to help me out until I was no longer homeless. Still managing to pay my bill every month I was busting my butt to cover myself. I was given an oppoutunity to move to Texas from Chicago and go to work at a ministry where I would be provided a house and food with a small income to support myself. I took the offer and now have been here for almost 2 years. I was finally told by my moms boyfriend that I need to no longer be on the family plan because its risky for them to trust me to pay them continuallly. I dropped the plan and *ported* my number to a Verizon phone. I was under the impression the 2 year contract was up and that I would not have to pay the Early Termination Fee. my mom called me saying the fee is like 220 dollars. I realize now that I obviously did not hit my 2 year mark. I feel so terirble and neither she or I has the money to pay for this. Im risking being homeless again and cant even pay for this burden I have become. AHHHHH what do I do. 

Can I have this fee waved or is it set in stone. I just need God to come through here and help me...

I figured just saying this one how it is would be the only way that I can get the point accross. 

Please someone help me here. Im about to start fundraising so I can pay for this. 

So this is a bit hard to follow and I will do my best to explain it with the least amount of confusion. 

Back in june 2010 (I believe it was june atleast) I upgraded to my iphone 4 the week after releasal. I lived with my parents at the time and worked three jobs to support myself. I was a high school drop out and struggling to pay for bills. Due to some turbulence in my family situation my mom evicted me from the house. I agreed to continue to pay the bills because of just renewing my contract. I went house to house for a couple months until a family had taken me in to their home and offered to help me out until I was no longer homeless. Still managing to pay my bill every month I was busting my butt to cover myself. I was given an oppoutunity to move to Texas from Chicago and go to work at a ministry where I would be provided a house and food with a small income to support myself. I took the offer and now have been here for almost 2 years. I was finally told by my moms boyfriend that I need to no longer be on the family plan because its risky for them to trust me to pay them continuallly. I dropped the plan and *ported* my number to a Verizon phone. I was under the impression the 2 year contract was up and that I would not have to pay the Early Termination Fee. my mom called me saying the fee is like 220 dollars. I realize now that I obviously did not hit my 2 year mark. I feel so terirble and neither she or I has the money to pay for this. Im risking being homeless again and cant even pay for this burden I have become. AHHHHH what do I do. 

Can I have this fee waved or is it set in stone. I just need God to come through here and help me...

I figured just saying this one how it is would be the only way that I can get the point accross. 

Please someone help me here. Im about to start fundraising so I can pay for this. 

I was Charged Early Termination Fee and need help sorting it out

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 8:54:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi there!

So lets see if I follow your story correctly,

1) You upgraded to a iPhone 4 after your contract term was over

2) You continued paying your bill after a couple of months while you having some troubles

3) When you moved to Texas, you cancelled a line on the family plan and began your own

Is this right? If so, when you upgraded to the iPhone 4, you had 30 days to test out the device and coverage before the contract was locked and the ETF was applied. If this is the same line you upgraded to in the beginning of your post, then the ETF would apply in this case if its been 9 months since the upgrade (got the months from deducting $10 from the ETF per month completed).

One thing you can do is call Customer Care by dialing 611 on your AT&T device and seeing if you can begin a payment plan. Note that you must have been a customer for at least 6 months.

Hope that helps a bit!

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi there!

So lets see if I follow your story correctly,

1) You upgraded to a iPhone 4 after your contract term was over

2) You continued paying your bill after a couple of months while you having some troubles

3) When you moved to Texas, you cancelled a line on the family plan and began your own

Is this right? If so, when you upgraded to the iPhone 4, you had 30 days to test out the device and coverage before the contract was locked and the ETF was applied. If this is the same line you upgraded to in the beginning of your post, then the ETF would apply in this case if its been 9 months since the upgrade (got the months from deducting $10 from the ETF per month completed).

One thing you can do is call Customer Care by dialing 611 on your AT&T device and seeing if you can begin a payment plan. Note that you must have been a customer for at least 6 months.

Hope that helps a bit!

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I was Charged Early Termination Fee and need help sorting it out

2 of 5 (7,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 4:26:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you Evandela for the reply

Let me see if I can help straighten things out a tad

I got my phone and contract in 2006 when my mom started a family plan with cingular.

I never broke off of the Family plan or even signed up for my own plan. I would just resign for 2 more years everytime I would upgrade my phone.

In 2010 when I upgraded to the iphone 4 upon its release in june I resigned for 2 more years and only did so because I had intended to stay with AT&T

I was kicked out of the house shortly after june 2010 and agreed with my mom to pay her monthly for my bill

I hit a rough spot in my life and needed somewhere to live and in 2012 moved to Texas to work at a christian ministry.

I live in the middle of nowhere practically and had terrible service with my moms family plan for AT&T.

My moms boyfriend insisted I be removed from their Family plan because of me being so far away and no longer "In the Family" for lack of better terms

I terminated my line from their family plan under the impression I was through with my 2 year contract. I have been paying for service since 2006. A loyal customer for 6 years.

My mom notified me that I owe 220 dollars for terminating my contract early and that my two year agreement didnt end until about another month.

I do not really have any income because the ministry is non-profit so I basically work for the food they gave me and the board they offer me. 

I have no ability to pay this and my mom is getting stuck with a huge bill because of my misunderstanding. Being that I have been a customer for almost 6 full years, have no income to pay this for my mom, and I fullfilled 23 out of 24 months of the two year contract is there anyway I can have this waved or atleast let me try to pay the last remaining of my two year contract because it would be significantly less than the termination fee. 

Please help me if there is any possible options. If It means paying it and there is no other way then It will have to be paid somehow but I am in such a jam with this one and just ask a little grace.

Thank you so much Evandela

Thank you Evandela for the reply

Let me see if I can help straighten things out a tad

I got my phone and contract in 2006 when my mom started a family plan with cingular.

I never broke off of the Family plan or even signed up for my own plan. I would just resign for 2 more years everytime I would upgrade my phone.

In 2010 when I upgraded to the iphone 4 upon its release in june I resigned for 2 more years and only did so because I had intended to stay with AT&T

I was kicked out of the house shortly after june 2010 and agreed with my mom to pay her monthly for my bill

I hit a rough spot in my life and needed somewhere to live and in 2012 moved to Texas to work at a christian ministry.

I live in the middle of nowhere practically and had terrible service with my moms family plan for AT&T.

My moms boyfriend insisted I be removed from their Family plan because of me being so far away and no longer "In the Family" for lack of better terms

I terminated my line from their family plan under the impression I was through with my 2 year contract. I have been paying for service since 2006. A loyal customer for 6 years.

My mom notified me that I owe 220 dollars for terminating my contract early and that my two year agreement didnt end until about another month.

I do not really have any income because the ministry is non-profit so I basically work for the food they gave me and the board they offer me. 

I have no ability to pay this and my mom is getting stuck with a huge bill because of my misunderstanding. Being that I have been a customer for almost 6 full years, have no income to pay this for my mom, and I fullfilled 23 out of 24 months of the two year contract is there anyway I can have this waved or atleast let me try to pay the last remaining of my two year contract because it would be significantly less than the termination fee. 

Please help me if there is any possible options. If It means paying it and there is no other way then It will have to be paid somehow but I am in such a jam with this one and just ask a little grace.

Thank you so much Evandela

3 of 5 (7,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 7:05:57 PM
(0)
Former Employee

You can sell your iPhone and use the money to cover an ETF. ETF is absolutely valid and and will need to be paid.

You can sell your iPhone and use the money to cover an ETF. ETF is absolutely valid and and will need to be paid.

4 of 5 (7,108 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 9:25:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Thanks for the clarification!

Ok, let's see about your options here.

So one thing you can do like I mentioned before is try to set up a payment plan with AT&T by calling Customer Care. Though remember you must have been a customer for 6 months with no bills paid late.

Option 2- You could also try to reconnect the line since you have 60 days to do so. You may be charged $40 for that, but it is significantly less than $225 as you can see and try to pay the remaining months. Smiley Wink

While I understand that you were no having great service down in Texas and canceled the line, AT&T does not guarantee coverage in all areas so in this instance the Early Termination fee would be valid.

I would see about Option 2 since its probably a lot cheaper and would eliminate the ETF most likely and your activating the line. You would be back on your old contract terms (23 of 24 months) but would have to pay your monthly charges. Smiley Tongue

I hope this helps!

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Thanks for the clarification!

Ok, let's see about your options here.

So one thing you can do like I mentioned before is try to set up a payment plan with AT&T by calling Customer Care. Though remember you must have been a customer for 6 months with no bills paid late.

Option 2- You could also try to reconnect the line since you have 60 days to do so. You may be charged $40 for that, but it is significantly less than $225 as you can see and try to pay the remaining months. Smiley Wink

While I understand that you were no having great service down in Texas and canceled the line, AT&T does not guarantee coverage in all areas so in this instance the Early Termination fee would be valid.

I would see about Option 2 since its probably a lot cheaper and would eliminate the ETF most likely and your activating the line. You would be back on your old contract terms (23 of 24 months) but would have to pay your monthly charges. Smiley Tongue

I hope this helps!

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (7,097 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments