Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2011
10:12:33 AM
View profile
I want my iphone back!! Help!!

Hello everyone,

In June my iphone 3gs started going crazy and needed to be replaced.  Stupidly, I allowed the sales guy at the ATT store to talk me into an android.  I ended up with a Motorola Atrix.  There was a huge learning curve and I am still unsure about somethings on it.  Really the only thing I like about it is the live wallpaper!!  Well, I now want to get an iphone when the new ones come out.  I would like to know what my options are to get one.  I know I can't upgrade but, I don't want to spend an arm and 2 legs for a new one.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kris

Hello everyone,

In June my iphone 3gs started going crazy and needed to be replaced.  Stupidly, I allowed the sales guy at the ATT store to talk me into an android.  I ended up with a Motorola Atrix.  There was a huge learning curve and I am still unsure about somethings on it.  Really the only thing I like about it is the live wallpaper!!  Well, I now want to get an iphone when the new ones come out.  I would like to know what my options are to get one.  I know I can't upgrade but, I don't want to spend an arm and 2 legs for a new one.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kris

I want my iphone back!! Help!!

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 11:10:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

*You can buy the new iPhone at full price and sell the Atrix to help offset some of the cost.

*You may be eligible for early upgrade pricing when the new iPhone comes out.  This will be more expensive than full upgrade pricing, but less expensive than no-commitment pricing.

*You can add a line to buy the new iPhone at upgrade pricing, but this option is expensive over the long run if you don't need a second line.

*You could ask questions about the Atrix and grow to love it.

This is all that I could think of as possibilities for you.  I hope that you enjoy whichever phone you end up with!

*You can buy the new iPhone at full price and sell the Atrix to help offset some of the cost.

*You may be eligible for early upgrade pricing when the new iPhone comes out.  This will be more expensive than full upgrade pricing, but less expensive than no-commitment pricing.

*You can add a line to buy the new iPhone at upgrade pricing, but this option is expensive over the long run if you don't need a second line.

*You could ask questions about the Atrix and grow to love it.

This is all that I could think of as possibilities for you.  I hope that you enjoy whichever phone you end up with!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I want my iphone back!! Help!!

2 of 12 (645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 12:06:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

What did you do with the iPhone 3GS? What did you mean 3GS going crazy? Sorry for a lot of questions.Smiley Surprised

What did you do with the iPhone 3GS? What did you mean 3GS going crazy? Sorry for a lot of questions.Smiley Surprised

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 2:43:13 PM
(0)
Professor
Did you use an upgrade to get the Atrix? If you aren't eligible for a full upgrade, your options are as 21stNow said.
Did you use an upgrade to get the Atrix? If you aren't eligible for a full upgrade, your options are as 21stNow said.

4 of 12 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 3:16:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

If I add a 2nd line to get the upgrade will I also have to add a another data package??  I pay 30/month for unlimited data now.  I wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks a month for another line so I can get my iphone.  My 3gs started not making phone calls wouldn't recieve phone calls, wouldn't show I had txt messages. freeze for hours at a time.  I think that I probably will sell the atrix when the new iphone comes out. 

Thanks for the help

If I add a 2nd line to get the upgrade will I also have to add a another data package??  I pay 30/month for unlimited data now.  I wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks a month for another line so I can get my iphone.  My 3gs started not making phone calls wouldn't recieve phone calls, wouldn't show I had txt messages. freeze for hours at a time.  I think that I probably will sell the atrix when the new iphone comes out. 

Thanks for the help

5 of 12 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 4:53:47 PM
(0)
Professor
You have to pay separately for data plans for each smartphone so, two lines, two data plans. Also since you mention the $30 unlimited, I assume you are grandfathered in on that phone. The second line would not be grandfathered in and you would have to choose one of the tiered plans for the second phone.
You have to pay separately for data plans for each smartphone so, two lines, two data plans. Also since you mention the $30 unlimited, I assume you are grandfathered in on that phone. The second line would not be grandfathered in and you would have to choose one of the tiered plans for the second phone.

6 of 12 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 5:49:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'll ask this question here, since it relates to one of the OP's responses.  If you have an individual plan, isn't it more than $10 a month to add a line?  Wouldn't someone have to convert to a family plan?  Then, if converting from the 450 minute individual plan at $39.99 to the lowest family plan at $59.99, that is an additional $20 a month, just for voice.  Adding text and data would bring the increase even higher.

I'll ask this question here, since it relates to one of the OP's responses.  If you have an individual plan, isn't it more than $10 a month to add a line?  Wouldn't someone have to convert to a family plan?  Then, if converting from the 450 minute individual plan at $39.99 to the lowest family plan at $59.99, that is an additional $20 a month, just for voice.  Adding text and data would bring the increase even higher.

7 of 12 (590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 6:46:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

The second line is an option if you aren't eligible for any sort of early upgrade. It would be about 75 cheaper to get a second line, wait 30 days and then cancel the line, paying the ETF. You can then transfer the service from the Atrix (with the unlimited plan) to the iPhone. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but if you really want the phone, it is an option. Also, be sure to check the time frame for canceling the contract so you don't end up having to return the equipment, it's just 30 days where I live.

The math is 200 for the iPhone + 325 for the ETF + 50 for the month of service = 575. Again, it's not much of a difference, but if you sell the Atrix on Craigslist before the iPhone comes out, you should get a good amount for it. My buddy sold his last month for 350 in a couple of hours. But any amount would help offset the cost.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

The second line is an option if you aren't eligible for any sort of early upgrade. It would be about 75 cheaper to get a second line, wait 30 days and then cancel the line, paying the ETF. You can then transfer the service from the Atrix (with the unlimited plan) to the iPhone. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but if you really want the phone, it is an option. Also, be sure to check the time frame for canceling the contract so you don't end up having to return the equipment, it's just 30 days where I live.

The math is 200 for the iPhone + 325 for the ETF + 50 for the month of service = 575. Again, it's not much of a difference, but if you sell the Atrix on Craigslist before the iPhone comes out, you should get a good amount for it. My buddy sold his last month for 350 in a couple of hours. But any amount would help offset the cost.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

8 of 12 (579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 9:58:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

How about this, you get a second line with new iPhone, terminate the contract with the Atrix, ( of course pay the ETF) but transfer the service you had with Atrix to new iPhone??Smiley Surprised

How about this, you get a second line with new iPhone, terminate the contract with the Atrix, ( of course pay the ETF) but transfer the service you had with Atrix to new iPhone??Smiley Surprised

9 of 12 (521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 11:21:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The OP would lose his unlimited data like that, since he would be canceling the line that the unlimited data is on.

The OP would lose his unlimited data like that, since he would be canceling the line that the unlimited data is on.

10 of 12 (511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 1:48:25 PM
(0)
Professor

AT&T would not allow that, it's called scamming the system.

He can add a 2nd line.  Wait 30 days and cancel that line paying the ETF.

At the point of purchase, the iPhone could be set up on the existing line retainiing the unlimited data.

There is really no cheap way to make this happen... might be simpler, but a little more expensive to simply buy the iPhone outright at full price.

AT&T would not allow that, it's called scamming the system.

He can add a 2nd line.  Wait 30 days and cancel that line paying the ETF.

At the point of purchase, the iPhone could be set up on the existing line retainiing the unlimited data.

There is really no cheap way to make this happen... might be simpler, but a little more expensive to simply buy the iPhone outright at full price.

11 of 12 (369 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 4:07:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Well I'm wrong then. I got facts crossed, thought OP could transfer the first contract and service to the new iPhone.
Well I'm wrong then. I got facts crossed, thought OP could transfer the first contract and service to the new iPhone.

12 of 12 (359 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments