I tried it, I gave it an honest chance, but the S2 is going back to ATT

Mentor

I tried it, I gave it an honest chance, but the S2 is going back to ATT

I have used it now for a week.  I love the larger screen.  I like the speach to text.  The camera is ok, but not as good as I thought it would be.

But there are some big things that just are bothering me about this phone that don't seem to be fixable.  The biggest centers around MMS which I use a lot.

I have yet to be able to send a single video MMS.  Every video is too large to send or I have to shoot it with "mms settings" leaving me with only that crappy copy of the video for myself.  Videos that people have sent me have come through....sometimes.  Most come through as audio with a static image....like the first frame of the video.  The videos that have gotten through are better quality and look better than the "with mms settings" video that I have shot on my own phone.

You can not.....read, CAN NOT....shoot a quality video that is 30 seconds long today and in 3 days decide you want to send it via MMS.  Unless you shot it in the "for mms" setting, knowing that you may want to sent it at a later date.  The S2 does NOT converet higher quality video to MMS on the fly.  Some people say it does, but I challenge them to proove it.  I have searched the internet for proof and it does not exist.  I have been through every setting on the phone and it will not do it.  This, to me, is huge.  Why have HD when I have to record all the time in super low quality just in case I might want to send it to someone later down the road.

Incoming pictures is another gripe.  Pictures most times come in as VIDEO.  No I am not talking "slides".  I am talking video.  With a play, pause, FF and RW control.  They are savable, but they save as a video, not a JPG or other image file meaning you can't save them to your computer or upload them to photobucket as a image. 

The voice recognition is ok, but not too acurate.  I was so frustrated last night with it I gave up and had to pick the dang phone up and type.

A few other things....I am getting 2 notifications running at the same time....a tone and the phone reading who is texting me.  I just want it to read it to me.  Sounds dumb but it shouldn't be that way.  No matter what settings I use, the screen still dims after 10 or 15 seconds if I am not touching the screen.  Makes reading a facebook update or a news article a chore.  I had to add the letter s to the dictionary because it simply would not let me type mr-s@.  It kept changing it to mr-a@.  ????

Battery life is terrible.  With very minimal use, last night I hit 10% before 6pm.  That was from a full charge unplugged at 7:15 am.

There are several good features but the down sides make the thing unusable for what I want to do with it.  Everyone has their own use and my problems might not be issues for you.

Message 1 of 41 (1,345 Views)
Scholar

Re: I tried it, I gave it an honest chance, but the S2 is going back to ATT

Entropy512 wrote:

Most of the OP's battery life problems can be addressed by rooting.  It's REALLY sad how badly AT&T ruined the phone with their stock firmware, such as a DRM service that performs license checks every few seconds even when the phone doesn't have a single piece of DRMed media on it.  This, of course, eats battery.

I'm at 88% battery after a bit over 7 hours.  That's actually bad for me for the phone sitting idle - weak signal at my desk causes excessive battery eating.  At my apartment with stronger signal, I discharge around 10% in 12 hours idle.  (Discharge is, of course, much faster when the device is in use.)

VERY INTERESTING.... Can you PLEASE tell us more on what the stock firmware is doing to draw juice from our batteries with the GS2???   I trust what your saying but the numbers are incredible, 88% after 7+ hours is something we all would love!!

Message 31 of 41 (338 Views)

Re: My S2 Went Back Also, But Guess Who Came Home In Its Place? lol

Hey y'all,

Longtime Vibrant Owner, then EVO, then about 10 devices inbetween.  When Evo's 4G charging port broke 2 months ago, i got the Infuse, which i immediately felt like was being reunited with an old friend (but wayyyy better : ) after owning Samsung Vibrant for almost a year...  EVO 4G was awesome in every way, but the HTC washed out look of her screen never failed to bug me.  With it not being able to hold a charge, i finally ditched it, tho i want to say that was the least buggy, best performing phone ever.  I rooted it and must've installed a gazillion ROMS on it, half the time not knowing what i was doing, and she never once failed or even soft bricked  : )  K, back to Infuse/SGS II....

So two months back when i got the Infuse, as mentioned, loved it to death immediately (the checkerboarding when browisng is the ONLY annoying thing, but if you wait a second or two  to let page load, its fine...)  But then within a week of my Remorse Period SGS II was "semi announced" and i decided to return Infuse and wait a month or so. 

SGS II: Gotta tell ya, nice phone, fast, smooth, u name it, it does it, but dang if i couldn't get used to the smaller screen.  Kept it 10 days and said with all the 4.5  phones coming out, i don't want to be limited to a 4.3 inch screen for the next 18 months or so.  Now i know some of you say, "two 16ths or whatever it actually is) is nothing.  Trust me, its a HUGE diff.

So i saw yesterday Best Buy had a $49.00 weekend sale on Infuse and decided that's the phone for me.  I got a $162.00 refund, i rooted it within 5 minutes, even tho its not dual core its lightening fast, screen is beautiful, love the bronze-like finish, i already had 3 extra batteries and charger purchased from e-bay for 10 bucks from owning it 2 months ago, couldn't be happier.

Trust me, i never would have believe "stepping down" from a dual core, 1GB RAM Samsung Unit to a 1.2 single core with only 512 RAM would have made me happy, but honestly, this phone does EVERYTHING SGS II does... Actually way more now that i rooted it (two steps, installed drivers, then SuperOoneClick- couldn't be easier : )

Now i am free to see what phones will be coming out and am in no mad rush to obtain one, since this does everything one could want and more with the big beautful screen all for $49.00 bucks.

When i see what kind of phone $49.00 gets you at Verizon, T-Mo and all the pre-paid carriers i could laugh... Kinda sad how everyone dogs the Infuse and devs seem to be abandoning it, luckily i'm over that phase of being a flashaholic, if you're still in that frame, this phone def isn't for you.  But if you just want a phone that can do everything, maybe root it just to get that "extra control", this phone makes me smile just by hitting the power button : ) 

Best Buy is running this weekend sale & doesn't charge restocking fee, take this gem for a spin and see if you enjoy it as much as this cell phone junkie does : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7jbgAzhDVg

BTC

Message 32 of 41 (335 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:
AT&T Network limits MMS video size to certain size (depending on your network connection, 2G vs 3G) this it is a network limit that does not has anything to do with phones (it is there to avoid network overload and/or abuse of MMS by sending large video files).

What you're complaining is then really the lack of video conversion tools in the phone that can convert an oversized video into a video size that can be transmitted via network. If you have done any type of video conversion on the PC, you will know it is not an easy task and very heavy on processors and memory.

Actually you are incorrect, or ATT does not limit iPhones.  The iPhone can send and receive files larger than the 1000k limit that the S2 has.   Even on Edge.

Message 33 of 41 (316 Views)
Master

TimStrader wrote:

Actually you are incorrect, or ATT does not limit iPhones.  The iPhone can send and receive files larger than the 1000k limit that the S2 has.   Even on Edge.

I think I already said iPhone could be different. Every phone I've owned (none of them iPhone) has the limit. And orginal firmware of Captivate had a bug in sending pictures on Edge (too large) and ended up with MMS failures.

Message 34 of 41 (282 Views)
Scholar

Re: My S2 Went Back Also, But Guess Who Came Home In Its Place? lol

[ Edited ]

BOSSY_TEXAS_CHICK wrote:

Hey y'all,

Trust me, i never would have believe "stepping down" from a dual core, 1GB RAM Samsung Unit to a 1.2 single core with only 512 RAM would have made me happy, but honestly, this phone does EVERYTHING SGS II does... Actually way more now that i rooted it (two steps, installed drivers, then SuperOoneClick- couldn't be easier : )

I wouldn't call it stepping down, more like stepping sideways.. .2" does make a surprising difference (I went from a Focus 4' to SG2's 4'3") and have to say the 4.5" display tempted me but without even getting into the specs difference the Infuse was just  flat out too big.. Also the  main reason I had no urge to wait for the GS3 which internally will out spec all phones (rumored quad Processor and so on) and will have a 4.6" display which again is way too big for me, well as a phone lol.. But getting back to infuse/GS2, the power difference will really take a jump "when" ICS is released to us, the dual processor & 1Gb ram will truly be utilized, then prerformance wise the GS2 will step up a class from the Infuse.. 

The SuperOneClick can also be installed on the GS2 so no difference there..GS2-Superoneclick

Like I said to " it's all about what's right for you!!"..

Message 35 of 41 (281 Views)
Master

Be very careful with that root instruction. Each variant of gs2 have different kernel to flash before you can use super one click too rpot. Flash the wrong kernel will have some serious consequences.
Message 36 of 41 (271 Views)
Scholar

Guess I should have added that was not for our i777 rather the international, I'm sure exact one needed for the i777 will be out and about in the vey near future.. Nit that I'm condoning rooting just pointing out wha could be done on the Infuse can also be done to the GS2..
Message 37 of 41 (248 Views)
Master

The one for i777 is already out on XDA site for a while now. Even for international version, there are half dozen different product codes with different firmware versions. Each require their own kernel IIRC. XDA site has all the answers.

Just remember, rooting voids your warranty although there are also instructions about how to return to stock.

Message 38 of 41 (237 Views)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

The one for i777 is already out on XDA site for a while now. Even for international version, there are half dozen different product codes with different firmware versions. Each require their own kernel IIRC. XDA site has all the answers.

Just remember, rooting voids your warranty although there are also instructions about how to return to stock.

How does using SuperOneClick effect getting updates and say ICS when it becomes available in the future??  
Would rooting stop people's GS2s from receiving anything from AT&T or Samsung?? 

Message 39 of 41 (217 Views)

Ann154 wrote:
Why are people still endorsing "Advanced Task Killer"? Any android device since FroYo has not needed it. The Samsung Galaxy SII with Gingerbread especially doesn't!

http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

This is incorrect.  While it is true that Advanced Task Killer is no longer necessary for RAM management, everyone who argues against task killers completely forgets that applications use more than just RAM.

1)  Wakelocks

2)  Wakelocks

3)  Wakelocks

4)  Wakelocks

5)  Data usage

6)  Sometimes high CPU usage in addition to wakelocks (Words with Friends is apparently notorious for this)

7)  Did I say wakelocks?

Most well written apps don't need killing, but some do.  For example, back in 2010, Facebook was a must-have app, but it was also a must-kill-after-use app because it would hold a permanent partial wakelock after starting.  Fortunately they've fixed this now

Also, never use a task killer in "autokiller" mode - just manually kill misbehavers.

As to the Infuse - great phone, specwise it shouldn't be much "worse" than the GSII for everyday use, but it's a developer's nightmare which means the Infuse will NEVER see the quality and robustness of the custom ROMs that will become available for the GSII due to its similarity to the I9100.  For example, even on launch day, Cyanogenmod 7 for the GSII was more robust than CM7 for the Infuse months after the Rogers Gingerbread release for Infuse, despite one of the few remaining Infuse developers being EXTREMELY talented - unfortunately, he's fighting that @#$*@#)*$#@*@$#) CG2900 chipset for Bluetooth/GPS.  The GSII has far more standard and robust GPS and BT chipsets.

It's also possible to root without SuperOneClick - I've got a prerooted flashable stock system image up on XDA.  Nice thing is that rooting with that method doesn't trigger the "custom binary download" warning.

Message 40 of 41 (214 Views)
Highlighted
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

How does using SuperOneClick effect getting updates and say ICS when it becomes available in the future??  
Would rooting stop people's GS2s from receiving anything from AT&T or Samsung?? 

Past experience with Captivate told us that once you rooted, don't ever accept any updates from AT&T because it will very likely brick or fail the update. Your best way forward is either return to stock befroe update or flash full ROM when it is available.

Message 41 of 41 (191 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.