Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 7, 2010
4:39:00 PM
View profile
I read about problems but....

I have read many posts and reviews about the poor service with the MC and need to know if it actually works for "most" people.

I live in an apartment and have extremely poor reception.  Numerous dropped calls, many times no bars showing and often garbled voices.  I have used mark the spot (joke) many many times, and still the same problems.  I can stand on my balcony and still have the same problems.  I never had this problem 3 years ago with Verizon.  Always a solid call; until I switched.

I never made a big issue about it because I always had my home phone, untl now.  I decided to cut the cord and now I am suffering, more than I thought I would.

Does the Microcell work?

I have also read about free ones being offered and would lke to try the MC but not dishing out $$$ I really do not have, besides; I concur with those who do not want to dish out money for poor service.

On the upside, I do have very good coverage when I am not home.  Even at work within the building I have very good coverage....JUST AT HOME.

Does the MC really work and how can I get a free one to try?

Thanks!

I have read many posts and reviews about the poor service with the MC and need to know if it actually works for "most" people.

I live in an apartment and have extremely poor reception.  Numerous dropped calls, many times no bars showing and often garbled voices.  I have used mark the spot (joke) many many times, and still the same problems.  I can stand on my balcony and still have the same problems.  I never had this problem 3 years ago with Verizon.  Always a solid call; until I switched.

I never made a big issue about it because I always had my home phone, untl now.  I decided to cut the cord and now I am suffering, more than I thought I would.

Does the Microcell work?

I have also read about free ones being offered and would lke to try the MC but not dishing out $$$ I really do not have, besides; I concur with those who do not want to dish out money for poor service.

On the upside, I do have very good coverage when I am not home.  Even at work within the building I have very good coverage....JUST AT HOME.

Does the MC really work and how can I get a free one to try?

Thanks!

I read about problems but....

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 7:15:32 PM
(0)
Guru

mjmsr wrote:

Here are the facts as I know them:

1. It's very uneven. Lots of people have problems, lots of people have no problems. There's really no way to know how it's going to be for you without trying it.

2. If you agree to take the $20/mo unlimited calling plan, I believe you will get a $100 rebate (though you have to wait a couple months for it).

3. You can try it for 30 days and return it if it has problems.

4. In general, the current advice is to try and locate the microcell where the MACROcell reception is the poorest.

5. If you follow the advice of step 4 and there is no GPS reception, buy an external antenna and locate that where GPS is available. This is unsupported, but lots of folks here have reported success.

6. The rumor du jour is that sometime this month there will be a magical firmware update that will make everything work better.

7. AT&T's support for the microcell is utterly abysmal - even by AT&T standards. Do not expect to get any help from them if it doesn't work. It has been made abundantly clear that they do not care. Not even a little.

mjmsr wrote:

Here are the facts as I know them:

1. It's very uneven. Lots of people have problems, lots of people have no problems. There's really no way to know how it's going to be for you without trying it.

2. If you agree to take the $20/mo unlimited calling plan, I believe you will get a $100 rebate (though you have to wait a couple months for it).

3. You can try it for 30 days and return it if it has problems.

4. In general, the current advice is to try and locate the microcell where the MACROcell reception is the poorest.

5. If you follow the advice of step 4 and there is no GPS reception, buy an external antenna and locate that where GPS is available. This is unsupported, but lots of folks here have reported success.

6. The rumor du jour is that sometime this month there will be a magical firmware update that will make everything work better.

7. AT&T's support for the microcell is utterly abysmal - even by AT&T standards. Do not expect to get any help from them if it doesn't work. It has been made abundantly clear that they do not care. Not even a little.

Re: I read about problems but....

2 of 15 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 4:26:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
My M-Cell works well, even with good range >40 foot radius through several interior walls, as long as there is not an area/system wide down time. I am happy with the service and would do it again. Call customer service and if you get the correct person, they can tag your account for a free M-Cell.
My M-Cell works well, even with good range >40 foot radius through several interior walls, as long as there is not an area/system wide down time. I am happy with the service and would do it again. Call customer service and if you get the correct person, they can tag your account for a free M-Cell.

3 of 15 (1,429 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 9:22:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

tmay,

You are very fortunate!   I wish I could say I am having the same experience with the m-cell.  I thought this device would be the answer to the coverage issues in my house....but so far it has fallen very short of expectations.

tmay,

You are very fortunate!   I wish I could say I am having the same experience with the m-cell.  I thought this device would be the answer to the coverage issues in my house....but so far it has fallen very short of expectations.

4 of 15 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 9:47:39 AM
(0)
Guru

Y'know, nsayer did a good job outlining  the situation as you'll find it reading through this forum.  But keep in mind that for the most part, people come to forums like this one because they're having problems.  Thus you could take a survey here and it might indicate the MicroCell is totally worthless, but I don't know how representative of the general population's experiences that poll would be.

I'm one of those for whom the MicroCell works well.  It also works well for a number of personal acquaintances.  To me the one time $150 investment was well worthwhile.

My suggestion....buy a MicroCell and try it.  You have 30 days to decide if it's the solution for you.

Y'know, nsayer did a good job outlining  the situation as you'll find it reading through this forum.  But keep in mind that for the most part, people come to forums like this one because they're having problems.  Thus you could take a survey here and it might indicate the MicroCell is totally worthless, but I don't know how representative of the general population's experiences that poll would be.

I'm one of those for whom the MicroCell works well.  It also works well for a number of personal acquaintances.  To me the one time $150 investment was well worthwhile.

My suggestion....buy a MicroCell and try it.  You have 30 days to decide if it's the solution for you.

5 of 15 (1,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:43:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update:

I called customer support this morning and explained (calmly) my situation.  They told the regular canned answer that it would cost me 150.00 and I could have unlimited for the additional 20.00....this was not an option for .

After explaining everything again and telling them I should not have to pay to get service in my home, I told them I have been reading about free offers.  They did not budge....neither did I.

After about 30 minutes we came to an agreement that I was happy with, they discounted the MC and told me I did not have to pay for the unlimited to get the discount.  They said they could ship it to me or I could pick it up.  I was fearful that I would not be able to get the deal in retail but she assured me the notes would be in their computer; and it was.

I picked up the MC and it installed very easily and I have all bars everywhere in my home (actually an apartment).  I called a few people without any difficulties, unlike before.  In the past, I would lose signal as soon as I left my apartment but now I have connection to theMC until I reach the parking lot - I live on the second floor facing the opposite side of the parking lot.  I was talking to someone all the time - it switched to normal 3G when I continued to walk....no probs.

My initial experience is definately a positive one and wish I would have done this months ago...well worth the 150 but even better when discounted (even best when free!).

One thing though, when I returned home I was talking to my wife from outside (3G) and did not lose signal while entering the house (which is a grteat experience) but it did not connect to the MC for about 2 minutes after I came in and hung up.  Not an issue with me but I thought it would easily switch back and forth....regardless I love it and wish I took the plunge months ago!

Thanks for the imput everyone!

Mike

Update:

I called customer support this morning and explained (calmly) my situation.  They told the regular canned answer that it would cost me 150.00 and I could have unlimited for the additional 20.00....this was not an option for .

After explaining everything again and telling them I should not have to pay to get service in my home, I told them I have been reading about free offers.  They did not budge....neither did I.

After about 30 minutes we came to an agreement that I was happy with, they discounted the MC and told me I did not have to pay for the unlimited to get the discount.  They said they could ship it to me or I could pick it up.  I was fearful that I would not be able to get the deal in retail but she assured me the notes would be in their computer; and it was.

I picked up the MC and it installed very easily and I have all bars everywhere in my home (actually an apartment).  I called a few people without any difficulties, unlike before.  In the past, I would lose signal as soon as I left my apartment but now I have connection to theMC until I reach the parking lot - I live on the second floor facing the opposite side of the parking lot.  I was talking to someone all the time - it switched to normal 3G when I continued to walk....no probs.

My initial experience is definately a positive one and wish I would have done this months ago...well worth the 150 but even better when discounted (even best when free!).

One thing though, when I returned home I was talking to my wife from outside (3G) and did not lose signal while entering the house (which is a grteat experience) but it did not connect to the MC for about 2 minutes after I came in and hung up.  Not an issue with me but I thought it would easily switch back and forth....regardless I love it and wish I took the plunge months ago!

Thanks for the imput everyone!

Mike

6 of 15 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:48:26 PM
(0)
Guru

mjmsr wrote:

Update:

My understanding of the microcell is that it supports handing out to the real tower, but it doesn't support handing in from a tower, which is exactly what you've described.  Glad it's working well for you so far.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

mjmsr wrote:

Update:

My understanding of the microcell is that it supports handing out to the real tower, but it doesn't support handing in from a tower, which is exactly what you've described.  Glad it's working well for you so far.

7 of 15 (1,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:15:28 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:16:51 PM

I'm glad it's working for you. You're one of the lucky ones.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind doing a little bit of testing for comparison.

Can you compare your microcell's latency to mine? I made a video that you can use for comparison.

To do it, you take either a landline phone or Vonage or some such and call the USNO Master clock at the same time as with your microcell phone. The number is available publicly - it's (202) 762-1401.

Even better would be to call it with two AT&T phones - one on the microcell and one not and listen to see if you can detect any additional latency on the microcell call (that is, does the beep happen appreciably later than the other phone).

If you don't get an extra tenth of a second or more of latency (which should be easily detectable), then you probably have fixes that my Microcell doesn't have (and I'm betting won't before Thanksgiving).

While you're at it, if you do a speedtest and see more than 50 kbps of uplink bandwidth, that would also be very interesting to know.

It's pitiable that we have to ask each other to perform tests like this rather than just expect actual information from AT&T, but there we are.

I'm glad it's working for you. You're one of the lucky ones.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind doing a little bit of testing for comparison.

Can you compare your microcell's latency to mine? I made a video that you can use for comparison.

To do it, you take either a landline phone or Vonage or some such and call the USNO Master clock at the same time as with your microcell phone. The number is available publicly - it's (202) 762-1401.

Even better would be to call it with two AT&T phones - one on the microcell and one not and listen to see if you can detect any additional latency on the microcell call (that is, does the beep happen appreciably later than the other phone).

If you don't get an extra tenth of a second or more of latency (which should be easily detectable), then you probably have fixes that my Microcell doesn't have (and I'm betting won't before Thanksgiving).

While you're at it, if you do a speedtest and see more than 50 kbps of uplink bandwidth, that would also be very interesting to know.

It's pitiable that we have to ask each other to perform tests like this rather than just expect actual information from AT&T, but there we are.

[ Edited ]
8 of 15 (1,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 8:00:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

I tried it but it did not work - I forgot I do nto have any long distance on my landline and won;t connect.

I will try to figure out a work around,unless you know how.  I have 2 3G ohones, wonder if I can disconnect one from the MC and use it regular?  But I do not know how to take a phone off of 3G once it is on.

ANy ideas and I'll be glad to try and share the findings.

I tried it but it did not work - I forgot I do nto have any long distance on my landline and won;t connect.

I will try to figure out a work around,unless you know how.  I have 2 3G ohones, wonder if I can disconnect one from the MC and use it regular?  But I do not know how to take a phone off of 3G once it is on.

ANy ideas and I'll be glad to try and share the findings.

9 of 15 (1,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 8:04:57 PM
(0)
Guru

If you disable 3G (on the iPhone it's inside the preferences app, general > network), then you'll be on the macro network.

You also could temporarily remove the number from the user list, but disabling 3G is easier to do on the spur of the moment.

If you disable 3G (on the iPhone it's inside the preferences app, general > network), then you'll be on the macro network.

You also could temporarily remove the number from the user list, but disabling 3G is easier to do on the spur of the moment.

10 of 15 (1,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 10:34:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have to say that, so far anyway, my experience with the MCell has been pretty good.  I'm located in central Texas and I've been using the MCell since May.  I've had very few outages, and I get a 5-bar signal throughout most of my house where I had 0-1 bar before the MCell.  Call quality is decent and I'd call my experience a success.

I have to say that, so far anyway, my experience with the MCell has been pretty good.  I'm located in central Texas and I've been using the MCell since May.  I've had very few outages, and I get a 5-bar signal throughout most of my house where I had 0-1 bar before the MCell.  Call quality is decent and I'd call my experience a success.

11 of 15 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 8:01:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Someone please explain to me why you care about the 3G speed of the M-Cell. If I am in range of my M-Cell, I am in range of my wireless network. It is much faster than 3G and does not eat onto my data.
Someone please explain to me why you care about the 3G speed of the M-Cell. If I am in range of my M-Cell, I am in range of my wireless network. It is much faster than 3G and does not eat onto my data.

12 of 15 (587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 8:37:18 PM
(0)
Guru
1. The uplink data speed cap impacts how fast you can send MMS (or whether it works at all).

2. With 3G, you get a public IP address rather than using NAT behind your home router. Believe it or not, there are apps where this helps.
1. The uplink data speed cap impacts how fast you can send MMS (or whether it works at all).

2. With 3G, you get a public IP address rather than using NAT behind your home router. Believe it or not, there are apps where this helps.

13 of 15 (581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 9:57:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

I was a skeptic based on forum posts. Have had MCell for nearly two months and I am finally pleased...

It was a rocky start, coupled with poor customer service that had me threatening to close my wireless account due to poor service in my home. The initial registration apparently failed at some step and none of my iPhones could connect. I was able to use a nokia without issue, and until they resolved that issue, I was ready to return everything and close my accounts.

As I said, CS was poor. I called on day one and reported the mcell was active and one phone could use it but that my iphones (4 total of various types and iOS versions at the time) could not connect. After a half hour, the rep told me he would escalate to the expert team... they called me two days later suggesting upgrading all iphones to the latest iOS. After reminding them that my iPhone 4 was the latest and it could not connect and that they had to do a better job than that, I hung up and sent a letter to executives at ATT. Two days later, all was working and nobody had called or informed me , they simply closed the ticket. When I called to close the ticket, they informed me it had already been closed and that a registration error was the root cause.

Ever since, my only complaint is that occasionally, outgoing will fail and I have to redial. This seems to only occur the first time using MCell after a period of not using it.

No issues with stutter, no issues with voice quality. Range is good and I have the unit in my basement (near a window). Overall, it is a minor issue to have to redial on occasion given I can now have a full conversation. No need to do anything special with any of my iphones (cellular data as some have suggested).

I was a skeptic based on forum posts. Have had MCell for nearly two months and I am finally pleased...

It was a rocky start, coupled with poor customer service that had me threatening to close my wireless account due to poor service in my home. The initial registration apparently failed at some step and none of my iPhones could connect. I was able to use a nokia without issue, and until they resolved that issue, I was ready to return everything and close my accounts.

As I said, CS was poor. I called on day one and reported the mcell was active and one phone could use it but that my iphones (4 total of various types and iOS versions at the time) could not connect. After a half hour, the rep told me he would escalate to the expert team... they called me two days later suggesting upgrading all iphones to the latest iOS. After reminding them that my iPhone 4 was the latest and it could not connect and that they had to do a better job than that, I hung up and sent a letter to executives at ATT. Two days later, all was working and nobody had called or informed me , they simply closed the ticket. When I called to close the ticket, they informed me it had already been closed and that a registration error was the root cause.

Ever since, my only complaint is that occasionally, outgoing will fail and I have to redial. This seems to only occur the first time using MCell after a period of not using it.

No issues with stutter, no issues with voice quality. Range is good and I have the unit in my basement (near a window). Overall, it is a minor issue to have to redial on occasion given I can now have a full conversation. No need to do anything special with any of my iphones (cellular data as some have suggested).

14 of 15 (531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 12:20:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had the microcell for a year with a Blackberry and had no problems at all.  Now with the iPhone 4 I have many problems with call quality and calls failed.

I had the microcell for a year with a Blackberry and had no problems at all.  Now with the iPhone 4 I have many problems with call quality and calls failed.

15 of 15 (513 Views)