Ask a question

Posted Oct 26, 2011
3:31:09 PM
View profile
I noticed a bug involving Contacts and Siri and tried to notify Apple by phone and got nowhere....

I have an iphone 4s.

I noticed a bug in the contact list and a problem with Siri.

I tried to teach Siri how to pronounce my name with not much success.   My name is Hloben and has a silent H.

In the contact list, I found the field to change the phonetic spelling and I thought it would be a snap!

In phonetic spelling I tried over a dozen changes to the first syllable (trying a Long O, LOH, Low, Lobe, etc to get 'her' to say "Loben".  I have 5 contacts with same last name.

She was saying hlobbin, with the h sound but now she says lobbin. It is wrong and I am still annoyed but I understand this is beta and may improve.  But still, I'd like it announce my son or my own name correctly.

As annoying as not being able to train Siri, here is the real BUG and this may affect a lot of people!

In the contact list, when I go Last,First the contacts (all the hlobens) are under the letter L!!!!

When I go First,Last (which I prefer) they are NOT in alphabetical order.  I have synced, backed up and rebooted.  

When I take OUT the phonetic spelling all goes back to perfect. I want Siri to pronounce my name right and I want my contact list to be alphabetical without the Phonics altering the alphabet.  

Anyone have any insight?

I noticed a bug involving Contacts and Siri and tried to notify Apple by phone and got nowhere....

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 5:25:44 PM
(0)
Master

I would provide Apple your insight directly.  

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: I noticed a bug involving Contacts and Siri and tried to notify Apple by phone and got nowhere..

2 of 12 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 5:34:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Siri speaks traditional American English.. Your name is not a traditional english name..

Not a bug, you are just trying to do something Siri doesn't support

Re: I noticed a bug involving Contacts and Siri and tried to notify Apple by phone and got nowhere..

3 of 12 (595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 5:37:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you, I did, two different ways.    First by phone, and the guy didn't have an iphone so he kind of listened and said there was nobody he could tell this info too.  So I did fill out that feedback form, but they indicated they will not answer back.

I posted here thinking someone might know how to teach Siri how to pronounce my name.  I know how to use the phonetic tabs fields.

Maybe I will just change my name IRL    Woman Wink

4 of 12 (590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 10:24:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by jamileh on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:43:46 AM

I don't even use my real name .. Siri refers to me as <word filter> lol

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 12:44:07 AM
(0)
Expert

She's got a lot to learn, hope it will get better!

6 of 12 (541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 5:26:13 AM
(0)
Master

I have not had an issue with Siri understanding my contacts. I say call a certain person in my contact list and Siri opens it up correctly on the first try. 

7 of 12 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 9:53:51 AM
(0)
Guru

Irish Rose wrote:

I have not had an issue with Siri understanding my contacts. I say call a certain person in my contact list and Siri opens it up correctly on the first try. 

Of course you wouldn't have an issue, given that none of your contacts have "Hloben" in their name... Smiley Wink

8 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 11:20:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

That Siri..... I swear!  I tried using LOW bin in the phonetic field.  If I say "Find Loben"  she'll say "which lobbin", but then she will read my list and read it correctly.  But if I say "call home"  she'll still say lobbin.   And the contacts are out of alphabetical order.    

When I got divorced I should have ditched the name with the ex!!!!  Thanks for all your help.  

9 of 12 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 11:23:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

It's a design feature!

Siri is just reading your subconscious and telling you to drop the married name and revert to your maiden name.  Siri knows what you really want... just listen to her.  Smiley Very Happy

10 of 12 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 6:13:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

Why don't you use the first name? That works for me.

11 of 12 (274 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 7:08:45 PM
(0)
Guru
Before iOS 5 it always used to mispronounce my last name and since the update it pronounces it right. It was never a big deal to us because everyone used to mispronounce my last name. My wife and I would joke about it.

12 of 12 (265 Views)