I need help?!

Tutor

I need help?!

i have an iphone 3gs and i just jailbroke it today but, i do not have a internet or data plan, and i was thinking about tethering it using this app i got from a jailbreak source. if i use the tethering will i get charged?

Message 1 of 19 (597 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: I need help?!

tiiictaac wrote:

okay so i wont tether. so what do i do know? my 2 year contract is about to expire in december or so and one of the member in the plan has a $30 unlimited data plan so i was thinking if att can let us both use that plan without adding another $30 data plan.

You have a family plan where the minutes are shared.  ATT allows you to get an unlimited family texting plan that can be shared across the plan.  They do not allow you to share data plans.  Each data plan must be on the correct line.  Unlimited data plans are no longer available and must stay with the line they are currently with so as not to be lost.  You can change the equipment on that line so long as it is from one smart phone to another.  

What exactly do you want to do?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 16 of 19 (349 Views)

youngjm wrote:

It's pretty obvious, he's stated he wants to use cellular data, and tether, without paying AT&T for the service.

To the OP:  Sorry, if you have a smart phone then AT&T REQUIRES that you maintain a data plan.

If you want to tether your smart phone AT&T requires purchase of a data plan that includes tethering.

AT&T can detect non-compliant use and adjust your account and charge you according to your actual usage.

As a stock holder, I insist you pay for what you use.

Message 17 of 19 (340 Views)
Master

DimentoGraven wrote:

youngjm wrote:

It's pretty obvious, he's stated he wants to use cellular data, and tether, without paying AT&T for the service.

To the OP:  Sorry, if you have a smart phone then AT&T REQUIRES that you maintain a data plan.

If you want to tether your smart phone AT&T requires purchase of a data plan that includes tethering.

AT&T can detect non-compliant use and adjust your account and charge you according to your actual usage.

As a stock holder, I insist you pay for what you use.

That was very clear to me thanks for confirming for the OP.  Let's just let the OP go on as finding a loophole for ATT services on ATT's website is kind of silly:-)

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 18 of 19 (323 Views)
ACE - Master

I get the sense the OP is under the impression that a jailbroke iphone can use data (tethered or not) without having any kind of data plan and therefore would not have to pay for it. As others have pointed out, ATT can detect an Iphone on the network and will add a data plan if one does not exist. However if by some strange occurrence you are able to use your Iphone for data without having a dataplan (which I did not think was even possible as I was under the impression data won't even work unless there is a data plan), you will still get charged for any data you use and the charges will in all likely hood be much greater than any data plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 19 (316 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.