Ask a question

Posted Jul 8, 2011
8:21:49 PM
I need help?!

i have an iphone 3gs and i just jailbroke it today but, i do not have a internet or data plan, and i was thinking about tethering it using this app i got from a jailbreak source. if i use the tethering will i get charged?

I need help?!

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 9:14:35 PM
(0)
Master

tiiictaac wrote:

i have an iphone 3gs and i just jailbroke it today but, i do not have a internet or data plan, and i was thinking about tethering it using this app i got from a jailbreak source. if i use the tethering will i get charged?

Assuming you mean you do not have a data plan that supports tethering?  ATT can tell and will reach out to you to upgrade to the proper plan that includes tethering.  If you have the unlimited data plan for the iPhone, you will loose that as they will upgrade you to a 4GB plan that includes tethering.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: I need help?!

2 of 19 (485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2011 7:35:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

tiiictaac wrote:

I believe your account will get the 200MB data plan added automatically shortly after you use your sim on the iPhone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 19 (465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 3:24:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

i did not get that added

4 of 19 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 3:53:56 PM
(0)
Professor
So, what are you telling us? You jailbroke the phone and want to tether the phone. Do you have a data plan, or are you asking about using data and tethering without paying for it?

5 of 19 (423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2011 9:38:51 PM
(0)
Guru

AT&T can detect that you have a smartphone and automatically place a data plan on your account...however, sometimes they won't notice for awhile. This does happen. If you try to access data (internet) or tethering without a data plan, AT&T will charge you per MB. This get's very expensive. I think jail-breaking an iPhone 3GS seems pointless, but I guess that's just me.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

6 of 19 (410 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 9:09:35 AM
(0)
Guru

Right, unless you somehow change the IMEI number of the phone (which is theoretically not possible) as soon as you connect to your provider's cellular network, they will have the make and model of the phone you're using.  Once they identify that it's a simple database query to cross reference your account to determine if you have all the required services and then update your account accordingly.

If they haven't yet, well you've just been lucky so far, but it won't last long.

AT&T can detect when you're tethering (it's very easily done), and they will bump your account up to the top tier, 4gb/month Tethering/Wifi Hot Spot enabled service at a cost of 40/month if I remember correctly...

7 of 19 (385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 11:50:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

yes i jailbroke the phone and i want to tether it. no i do not have a data plan, i want to tether without paying for it. even if it jailbroken and if i get the tether apps will att find me and charge me?

8 of 19 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 12:49:04 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 11, 2011 at 12:49:21 PM

tiiictaac wrote:

yes i jailbroke the phone and i want to tether it. no i do not have a data plan, i want to tether without paying for it. even if it jailbroken and if i get the tether apps will att find me and charge me?

yes they will, it has already happened to people that where stealing the service.

[ Edited ]
9 of 19 (363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 1:42:34 PM
(0)
Professor
So, to be clear, you are coming here and posting on ATTs customer forum and admitting you want to tether without paying for a data plan. In other words, steal service.

Do you think that's a smart move?

10 of 19 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 2:39:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

If AT&T doesn't find you and nail you for stealing data, I will.

11 of 19 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 2:41:48 PM
(0)
Employee

tiiictaac wrote:

will att find me and charge me?

Yes

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 19 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 2:29:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

okay so i wont tether. so what do i do know? my 2 year contract is about to expire in december or so and one of the member in the plan has a $30 unlimited data plan so i was thinking if att can let us both use that plan without adding another $30 data plan.

13 of 19 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 3:59:10 PM
(0)
Guru

So I'm confused by what you want to do here? You want to use the Internet connection of your iPhone to supply Internet service to other devices, like a laptop or desktop? That's what tethering is. And without a data plan on your phone, you will be charged generously by the megabyte for everything you do.

If you're trying to use another device's outbound Internet connection to supply Internet to your iPhone, you don't need to jailbreak or tether. As others have said, AT&T can and will add a data plan to your device if they detect it.

And data plans are limited to a single device. You can't share one data plan among multiple devices, with the exception of the personal hotspot plan.

tiiictaac wrote:

14 of 19 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 7:09:27 PM
(0)
Professor

tiiictaac wrote:

okay so i wont tether. so what do i do know? my 2 year contract is about to expire in december or so and one of the member in the plan has a $30 unlimited data plan so i was thinking if att can let us both use that plan without adding another $30 data plan.

You really need to stop and reconsider what it is you actually want to do here.

Maybe someone can hit you really hard and knock some sense into you.

If you want an iPhone or any smart phone, you MUST have a data plan.

Data plans for smart phones are not shareable.

Using data on any device on AT&T without a data plan will run up a VERY large bill VERY quickly.  Tethering will cause it to go up even faster, think $1k plus data plan.

15 of 19 (255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 7:29:20 PM
(0)
Master

tiiictaac wrote:

You have a family plan where the minutes are shared.  ATT allows you to get an unlimited family texting plan that can be shared across the plan.  They do not allow you to share data plans.  Each data plan must be on the correct line.  Unlimited data plans are no longer available and must stay with the line they are currently with so as not to be lost.  You can change the equipment on that line so long as it is from one smart phone to another.  

What exactly do you want to do?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

16 of 19 (249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 9:20:37 PM
(0)
Guru

youngjm wrote:

It's pretty obvious, he's stated he wants to use cellular data, and tether, without paying AT&T for the service.

To the OP:  Sorry, if you have a smart phone then AT&T REQUIRES that you maintain a data plan.

If you want to tether your smart phone AT&T requires purchase of a data plan that includes tethering.

AT&T can detect non-compliant use and adjust your account and charge you according to your actual usage.

As a stock holder, I insist you pay for what you use.

17 of 19 (240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 8:16:29 AM
(0)
Master

DimentoGraven wrote:

youngjm wrote:

It's pretty obvious, he's stated he wants to use cellular data, and tether, without paying AT&T for the service.

To the OP:  Sorry, if you have a smart phone then AT&T REQUIRES that you maintain a data plan.

If you want to tether your smart phone AT&T requires purchase of a data plan that includes tethering.

AT&T can detect non-compliant use and adjust your account and charge you according to your actual usage.

As a stock holder, I insist you pay for what you use.

That was very clear to me thanks for confirming for the OP.  Let's just let the OP go on as finding a loophole for ATT services on ATT's website is kind of silly:-)

18 of 19 (223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2011 10:05:27 AM
(0)
Employee

I get the sense the OP is under the impression that a jailbroke iphone can use data (tethered or not) without having any kind of data plan and therefore would not have to pay for it. As others have pointed out, ATT can detect an Iphone on the network and will add a data plan if one does not exist. However if by some strange occurrence you are able to use your Iphone for data without having a dataplan (which I did not think was even possible as I was under the impression data won't even work unless there is a data plan), you will still get charged for any data you use and the charges will in all likely hood be much greater than any data plan.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 19 (216 Views)