Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 24, 2008
6:12:11 PM
View profile
I need help please...
Edited by KurtisMaximus on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:12:43 PM
So im moving and the aera that im moving too does not have Cable nor DSL as of yet. Which prob means its going to be awhile. Someone told me about this Sierra PC card for my PC and get on the internet. I play my Xbox 360 and PC game all the time online. How is this Sierra card speed compared to cable or dsl? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Kurt

Message Edited by KurtisMaximus on 03-24-2008 09:12:43 PM
So im moving and the aera that im moving too does not have Cable nor DSL as of yet. Which prob means its going to be awhile. Someone told me about this Sierra PC card for my PC and get on the internet. I play my Xbox 360 and PC game all the time online. How is this Sierra card speed compared to cable or dsl? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Kurt

Message Edited by KurtisMaximus on 03-24-2008 09:12:43 PM

I need help please...

[ Edited ]
1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2008 1:57:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
Hello.  First I would check the coverage maps of all carriers for your area (I would use my address versus just a zip code in the search) to see who has the faster speeds for your area.  For example with AT&T if just EDGE coverage than the speeds will be about those of dial up, but if 3G coverage is available than the speeds can get close to DSL.  Factors such as number of users at a given time, signal strength (weather, obstructions between you and the tower) and other will effect the speeds and performance. 

One other thing to consider is the amount of data that you will be using on a monthly basis.  The highest AT&T plan has a monthly limit of 5Gb, quite a bit of data but if you do online gaming, photo downloads, etc. it may be an issue.  Online broadband was not really intended to replace home ISP service, but many have done so.

I assumed that you have checked to see if AT&T high speed internet access is available for your new area?

Hello.  First I would check the coverage maps of all carriers for your area (I would use my address versus just a zip code in the search) to see who has the faster speeds for your area.  For example with AT&T if just EDGE coverage than the speeds will be about those of dial up, but if 3G coverage is available than the speeds can get close to DSL.  Factors such as number of users at a given time, signal strength (weather, obstructions between you and the tower) and other will effect the speeds and performance. 

One other thing to consider is the amount of data that you will be using on a monthly basis.  The highest AT&T plan has a monthly limit of 5Gb, quite a bit of data but if you do online gaming, photo downloads, etc. it may be an issue.  Online broadband was not really intended to replace home ISP service, but many have done so.

I assumed that you have checked to see if AT&T high speed internet access is available for your new area?

Re: I need help please...

2 of 2 (869 Views)