Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 29, 2012
10:39:39 AM
View profile
I'm getting my own job soon, so my parents want me to be responsible for my own bill now

I'm kind of worried for them that this might not be possible, because I just signed a new contract last October when I upgraded to the iPhone 4S.  Will they have to pay a termination fee?

I'm kind of worried for them that this might not be possible, because I just signed a new contract last October when I upgraded to the iPhone 4S.  Will they have to pay a termination fee?

I'm getting my own job soon, so my parents want me to be responsible for my own bill now

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 11:09:58 AM
(0)
Expert

ShadowSlayer978 wrote:

guessing you are on a family plan, just do a TOBR to your own account. Two cautions -

1. any grandfathered feature on the line will be remove - IE unlimited data for example

2. if you have no credit history you will probably be hit with a required security deposit, this can be steep

You will not have to pay an etf and you will be able to keep your number

ShadowSlayer978 wrote:

guessing you are on a family plan, just do a TOBR to your own account. Two cautions -

1. any grandfathered feature on the line will be remove - IE unlimited data for example

2. if you have no credit history you will probably be hit with a required security deposit, this can be steep

You will not have to pay an etf and you will be able to keep your number

Re: I'm getting my own job soon, so my parents want me to be responsible for my own bill now

2 of 3 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2012 12:33:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Based on my experience transferring the billing responsibility within my own family account, I would suggest that you give your parents your portion of the bill.  If you are on a family plan sharing phone minutes and you create a new at&t account just for your number with your name on it, you will probably end up paying more money every month for voice because you would need to subscribe to an individual voice plan.  Data and text messages could also become more expensive if you are subscribed to any grandfathered plans that are no longer offered.  

On the other hand, you might rather pay more money instead of going though your parents.

Based on my experience transferring the billing responsibility within my own family account, I would suggest that you give your parents your portion of the bill.  If you are on a family plan sharing phone minutes and you create a new at&t account just for your number with your name on it, you will probably end up paying more money every month for voice because you would need to subscribe to an individual voice plan.  Data and text messages could also become more expensive if you are subscribed to any grandfathered plans that are no longer offered.  

On the other hand, you might rather pay more money instead of going though your parents.

Re: I'm getting my own job soon, so my parents want me to be responsible for my own bill now

3 of 3 (797 Views)