Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 13, 2011
12:09:58 PM
View profile
I just got off the ph with att & found out sum interesting info.

When i got my att bill i saw charges on it for data. I was confused since i didn't access the internet plus the other line that charges were on was suppose to hav data opt out. So i called them yesterday to get it straightened out. They said they were going to credit me the amt however the charge was for sending/receiving pics. Oh, ok, but i have unlimited msg plan that includes sending/receiving pics. I was told that i got charged cuz i had to access internet to send the pics. I called back today cuz it just didn't seem right and today i was told that my bill does not say it was for pics. I was also told that i can send/receive pics and videos without a data charge. I also found out that they didn't credit the amt they said they were going to yesterday. I guess i'll probably hav to call next month all over again to fix their mistakes. ugh. I just love wasting my time on the ph with a company i pay for service with trying to fix their mistakes. Lovely

When i got my att bill i saw charges on it for data. I was confused since i didn't access the internet plus the other line that charges were on was suppose to hav data opt out. So i called them yesterday to get it straightened out. They said they were going to credit me the amt however the charge was for sending/receiving pics. Oh, ok, but i have unlimited msg plan that includes sending/receiving pics. I was told that i got charged cuz i had to access internet to send the pics. I called back today cuz it just didn't seem right and today i was told that my bill does not say it was for pics. I was also told that i can send/receive pics and videos without a data charge. I also found out that they didn't credit the amt they said they were going to yesterday. I guess i'll probably hav to call next month all over again to fix their mistakes. ugh. I just love wasting my time on the ph with a company i pay for service with trying to fix their mistakes. Lovely

I just got off the ph with att & found out sum interesting info.

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 7:35:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Pictures/videos cannot be sent if the line has a data opt out.  The 2.00 charge is normally from accidental data usage (even if you accidentally hit the button) up to 1mb.  The only way to avoid the charges is to opt out of data (which would make you unable to send/recieve picture messages) or just pay close attention not to press the mobile internet button.  Sorry this wasn't explained properly by the first rep.

Pictures/videos cannot be sent if the line has a data opt out.  The 2.00 charge is normally from accidental data usage (even if you accidentally hit the button) up to 1mb.  The only way to avoid the charges is to opt out of data (which would make you unable to send/recieve picture messages) or just pay close attention not to press the mobile internet button.  Sorry this wasn't explained properly by the first rep.

Re: I just got off the ph with att & found out sum interesting info.

2 of 9 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 3:32:08 PM
(0)
Professor

True, when sending  or receiving pics , your message doesnt utilize SMS (text only), but rather, it uses MMS which will charge for data but shouldnt be that much unless you  moved a lot of bytes back and forth.

True, when sending  or receiving pics , your message doesnt utilize SMS (text only), but rather, it uses MMS which will charge for data but shouldnt be that much unless you  moved a lot of bytes back and forth.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

3 of 9 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 1:42:33 PM
(0)
Voyager

I think the "accidental" data usage is really ATT being unable to differentiate different kinds of access.  I can't believe that myself and my adult kids keep accessing the internet accidentally so often. 1kb here, 1kb there.  Sometimes is shows as much as 40kb at one time.  But we are not accessing the Internet, even accidentally. Now, due to a screw up by ATT that they claim they cannot correct (they upgraded my phone to a Blackberry for a period of 10 minutes when it was supposed to be my kids phone), my phone's account is set to charge $2.00/MB, so these accidental usage charges are non-trivial.  This is basically an additional income source for ATT.

I think the "accidental" data usage is really ATT being unable to differentiate different kinds of access.  I can't believe that myself and my adult kids keep accessing the internet accidentally so often. 1kb here, 1kb there.  Sometimes is shows as much as 40kb at one time.  But we are not accessing the Internet, even accidentally. Now, due to a screw up by ATT that they claim they cannot correct (they upgraded my phone to a Blackberry for a period of 10 minutes when it was supposed to be my kids phone), my phone's account is set to charge $2.00/MB, so these accidental usage charges are non-trivial.  This is basically an additional income source for ATT.

4 of 9 (332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 1:43:57 PM
(0)
Voyager
If you have unlimited messaging, there should be no charge for picture messages, but you cannot send them at all if you disable pay-per-use data.
If you have unlimited messaging, there should be no charge for picture messages, but you cannot send them at all if you disable pay-per-use data.

5 of 9 (331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 6:28:26 PM
(0)
Professor
You are correct. If you have unlimited messaging, it does include picture messaging. I wonder why att cant reset your account to correct the issue? Even if it would require closing yur current account and simultaneoiusly move your info into a new profile and new account#.
You are correct. If you have unlimited messaging, it does include picture messaging. I wonder why att cant reset your account to correct the issue? Even if it would require closing yur current account and simultaneoiusly move your info into a new profile and new account#.

6 of 9 (308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 8:00:54 PM
(0)
Professor

I would call AT&T again, asking the rep to pull up your account because you need help making sure you have the correct package for what you want to do. I figure that you already have signed up for the correct packages for what you want, but put it to them that you want them to help make sure you are getting everything you need. I have found that when I approach it asking them for their expertise is better than telling them what I want them to fix. It just seems to work for me better that way.

Now that you have a good working relationship with the rep, go through what you see in your billing and if there is a better way to get what you want to happen with less expense.

Give it a try, who knows it just might work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

I would call AT&T again, asking the rep to pull up your account because you need help making sure you have the correct package for what you want to do. I figure that you already have signed up for the correct packages for what you want, but put it to them that you want them to help make sure you are getting everything you need. I have found that when I approach it asking them for their expertise is better than telling them what I want them to fix. It just seems to work for me better that way.

Now that you have a good working relationship with the rep, go through what you see in your billing and if there is a better way to get what you want to happen with less expense.

Give it a try, who knows it just might work.

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

7 of 9 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 3:44:21 PM
(0)
Professor
That approach will work, Sir Ghostryder! How you been?

8 of 9 (275 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 3:55:23 PM
(0)
Professor

RicoLX wrote:

Good. Busy too. Thanks for asking. You?

~~~Seth Mendenhall

RicoLX wrote:

Good. Busy too. Thanks for asking. You?

~~~Seth Mendenhall

9 of 9 (274 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments