Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 26, 2011
12:31:33 PM
I just got a text from AT&T what is this?
AT&T Free Msg: Your data usage this month is in the top 5% of users. Use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds in future bill cycles. Visit www.att.com/dataplans.

I have unlimited by the way.
AT&T Free Msg: Your data usage this month is in the top 5% of users. Use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds in future bill cycles. Visit www.att.com/dataplans.

I have unlimited by the way.

I just got a text from AT&T what is this?

48 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 8:31:32 AM
(0)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

delosla wrote:

I just got one of  these also and I'm only at 2 gigs this month on my UN-LIMITED data plan.  How can I be one of the top 5% of data users when at&t's standard limited data plans start at 2 gigs?  Very upsetting, Maybe time to look for a new carrier.

AT&T's lowest tiered data plan is 200MB, not 2GB.

Add to the fact on the "time to look for a new carrier" - ther is only one of the top 3 carriers that carry the iphone that still ave a unlimited data plan (with a fair use policy in affect by the way) and that is Sprint - which from 5th estate reports has a worse data speed all the time then ATT's throttled speed. Verizon dropped unlimited data when they got the iphone

21stNow wrote:

delosla wrote:

I just got one of  these also and I'm only at 2 gigs this month on my UN-LIMITED data plan.  How can I be one of the top 5% of data users when at&t's standard limited data plans start at 2 gigs?  Very upsetting, Maybe time to look for a new carrier.

AT&T's lowest tiered data plan is 200MB, not 2GB.

Add to the fact on the "time to look for a new carrier" - ther is only one of the top 3 carriers that carry the iphone that still ave a unlimited data plan (with a fair use policy in affect by the way) and that is Sprint - which from 5th estate reports has a worse data speed all the time then ATT's throttled speed. Verizon dropped unlimited data when they got the iphone

Re: I just got a text from AT&T what is this?

31 of 49 (478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 10:09:12 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by purplecow827 on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:11:31 AM

archermoo wrote:

Of course it is reasonable that people who have one of the tiered accounts don't get throttled.   When they use large quantities of data, they pay more.  Those of us with grandfathered unlimited accounts don't.  Throttling someone who has historically used 6GB of data per month on an unlimited account once they hit 1.5 GB of data in a week doesn't sound particularly unreasonable to me.

I'm curious how you think carriers pay for increasing their capacity.  I'll give you a hint: It has something to do with increasing revenue when demand increases.

AT&T is adding new customers to their network and therefore should be able to increase the capacity.  So the increased customer base should be able to pay for the upgrade to their network.  As time goes by, the unlimited data users will become even a smaller minority.

Right now, it is not in AT&T's interest to upgrade the 3G network when LTE is right around the corner.  Hence, they want to penalize people who contractually were grandfathered in.

Do you have a unlimited data plan?  Did you have foresight to join AT&T early enough?  Are you an employee of AT&T? Or are you a customer on a tiered plan who is irritated that the network service isn't good enough? 

Don't blame us users for not having enough bandwidth.  Blame the service provider.

BTW, do you really think 6GB of data is a lot?  Do you know how much data you use on you home internet service?

archermoo wrote:

Of course it is reasonable that people who have one of the tiered accounts don't get throttled.   When they use large quantities of data, they pay more.  Those of us with grandfathered unlimited accounts don't.  Throttling someone who has historically used 6GB of data per month on an unlimited account once they hit 1.5 GB of data in a week doesn't sound particularly unreasonable to me.

I'm curious how you think carriers pay for increasing their capacity.  I'll give you a hint: It has something to do with increasing revenue when demand increases.

AT&T is adding new customers to their network and therefore should be able to increase the capacity.  So the increased customer base should be able to pay for the upgrade to their network.  As time goes by, the unlimited data users will become even a smaller minority.

Right now, it is not in AT&T's interest to upgrade the 3G network when LTE is right around the corner.  Hence, they want to penalize people who contractually were grandfathered in.

Do you have a unlimited data plan?  Did you have foresight to join AT&T early enough?  Are you an employee of AT&T? Or are you a customer on a tiered plan who is irritated that the network service isn't good enough? 

Don't blame us users for not having enough bandwidth.  Blame the service provider.

BTW, do you really think 6GB of data is a lot?  Do you know how much data you use on you home internet service?

[ Edited ]
32 of 49 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:21:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I think that 6GB is a lot of data to use in one month on a cellular phoneThese devices have ~4 inch screens with 1-1.5 GHz processorsThey were not meant to replace home computers, even though they are extremely powerful for mobile computing.

AT&T is looking to upgrade the network's capacity for data trafficThese things take time and long-term planningLooking back over the last 10 years, data use took a noticeable upward spike around 2008 that I don't think could have been predictedSince then, the trend has continued upwardIn 2004, I had the mMode data plan, which came with 1MB of dataI never exceeded this amount of data for a monthI didn't know anyone else with a data plan at that time; based on my limited observation, I will guess that data use was not that widespread back thenFast forward to 2007, just before the iPhone came outI had the unlimited data plan for $20 a month on a 2G phoneI almost never went over 1MB of data usage in a monthOnce the iPhone hit, data use was more prevalentHowever, I would think that many iPhone users used Wi-fi when available because 2G data speeds are slow.

Jump up to today when there are many smartphones on AT&T's network with more demands for dataAdd tablets and portable hotspots to the mix and data use is significant nowI took this walk down memory lane to show that cellular network providers had offered data services for years and many customers didn't take advantage of itWhen doing long-range planning in 2006, AT&T probably didn't accurately forecast the data demands today, given that data demands in the first 3-5 years of offering the services were smallSince demand was low, expanding bandwidth was probably given a low priority, as wellIt takes a while for mobile carriers to play catch up; the available technology from handset manufacturers outpaces what mobile carriers are able to do.

I think that 6GB is a lot of data to use in one month on a cellular phoneThese devices have ~4 inch screens with 1-1.5 GHz processorsThey were not meant to replace home computers, even though they are extremely powerful for mobile computing.

AT&T is looking to upgrade the network's capacity for data trafficThese things take time and long-term planningLooking back over the last 10 years, data use took a noticeable upward spike around 2008 that I don't think could have been predictedSince then, the trend has continued upwardIn 2004, I had the mMode data plan, which came with 1MB of dataI never exceeded this amount of data for a monthI didn't know anyone else with a data plan at that time; based on my limited observation, I will guess that data use was not that widespread back thenFast forward to 2007, just before the iPhone came outI had the unlimited data plan for $20 a month on a 2G phoneI almost never went over 1MB of data usage in a monthOnce the iPhone hit, data use was more prevalentHowever, I would think that many iPhone users used Wi-fi when available because 2G data speeds are slow.

Jump up to today when there are many smartphones on AT&T's network with more demands for dataAdd tablets and portable hotspots to the mix and data use is significant nowI took this walk down memory lane to show that cellular network providers had offered data services for years and many customers didn't take advantage of itWhen doing long-range planning in 2006, AT&T probably didn't accurately forecast the data demands today, given that data demands in the first 3-5 years of offering the services were smallSince demand was low, expanding bandwidth was probably given a low priority, as wellIt takes a while for mobile carriers to play catch up; the available technology from handset manufacturers outpaces what mobile carriers are able to do.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

33 of 49 (452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 2:32:12 PM
(0)
Guru

purplecow827 wrote:

archermoo wrote:

New customers are paying for the increase in infrastructure needed to support them.  Customers on tiered plans who use large amounts of data pay for that data, and so are paying for the infrastructure needed to support them.  Those of use on unlimited plans however aren't paying any extra if we use large amounts of data.  So I'm not surprised that AT&T would want to do something to keep data usage under control.

Yes, I have an unlimited plan, which I mentioned in the post that you quoted above.  No, I don't work for AT&T.  Though I have been a customer of theirs for quite some time.

And while we were grandfathered in, it wasn't because AT&T was contractually obligated to do so.  It is because they decided as a customer relations move to allow people who had unlimited plans continue to use them even when upgrading their phones.

And yes, for cellular data 6gb is a lot in a month.  For home internet service it wouldn't be, but the two aren't the same.  Doing 80MPH on a flat stretch of road isn't much to brag about on a motorcycle.  However it would be pretty impressive on a bicycle.

purplecow827 wrote:

archermoo wrote:

New customers are paying for the increase in infrastructure needed to support them.  Customers on tiered plans who use large amounts of data pay for that data, and so are paying for the infrastructure needed to support them.  Those of use on unlimited plans however aren't paying any extra if we use large amounts of data.  So I'm not surprised that AT&T would want to do something to keep data usage under control.

Yes, I have an unlimited plan, which I mentioned in the post that you quoted above.  No, I don't work for AT&T.  Though I have been a customer of theirs for quite some time.

And while we were grandfathered in, it wasn't because AT&T was contractually obligated to do so.  It is because they decided as a customer relations move to allow people who had unlimited plans continue to use them even when upgrading their phones.

And yes, for cellular data 6gb is a lot in a month.  For home internet service it wouldn't be, but the two aren't the same.  Doing 80MPH on a flat stretch of road isn't much to brag about on a motorcycle.  However it would be pretty impressive on a bicycle.

34 of 49 (439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 4:59:12 PM
(0)
Guru

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

brainwaver wrote:

Wild, go read their other post : http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/ATT-throttles-unlimited-account-when-data-usage-is-only-1-5Gb/...

They have used 1.5GB in ONE week which is on track for their usage of 6GB last month. That is why they are being throttled.

Wild Banchi wrote:
I agree that being throttled at 1.5GB is rather ludicrous when even customers using tiered 2GB plans are free to use up to 2GB, probably without being throttled.

Alright. 1.5GB in a week is understandable for throttling, then. Really, the throttling should not start until the user reaches over 2GB, but it certainly will not take them long...

The problem I have with all of this is that theoretically, you could be throttled for using even as little as 100 MB in a week, if AT&T determines that to be the threshhold for the top 5%...and the insinuation from some folks that the throttling should apply no matter what the actual data usage amount turns out to be for the top 5%.  These folks would even think it fair and reasonable that someone in the top 5% should be rightfully throttled even if the top 5% calculates out to be say, 1 GB...

Which assumes that AT&T would continue with the policy if the top 5% of users were only using 100MB of data.  Somehow I doubt that would be the case.  That is the problem with taking real world cases and presuming absurd extremes.

If you think that there are people in this forum that would consider throttling someone who was using 1GB of data in a month reasonable, please name them and provide links to posts that back up your assumption.  Because I don't recall anyone ever saying that, but I'll certainly admit I might have missed it.

On the other hand, since you didn't put a time frame on your 1GB data consumption, I'd certainly agree that it could be reasonable to throttle someone who used 1GB of data in, say, 1 day.  Particularly if that level of usage was a common occurance for them.

Ok, maybe I should have stated, "IMHO these folks may think it reasonable..." rather than, "These folks would think it reasonable"--but in any case my intent wasn't to imply that someone here had explicitly stated that it would be reasonable.

The reason why I didn't put a timeframe on my 1 GB example is because apparently nobody but AT&T knows what timeframe they use when they determine how much data the top 5% uses; some folks may feel that 200 MB/day, 1 GB/week and 4 GB/month all would be fair watermarks for calculating the top 5%...but would it be fair for AT&T to use all three simultaneously when weeding out the offenders?  It's quite possible for someone to use 4 GB in a month yet not use or thus average 200 MB/day, and for someone else to use 200/MB in a day--for say, a whole week--yet wind up not using 4 GB for the month...yet either user could be throttled if AT&T chooses to calculate the top 5% based on multiple floating scales.  And no, my example is definitely not an extreme and/or absurd case--after all, we have at least one person admitting that he used 1.5 GB in a week...and it is not absolutely difficult for the average user to use 200 MB in a day if he happened to be bored that day and thus decided to stream a bunch of Netflix movies to kill some time.

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

brainwaver wrote:

Wild, go read their other post : http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/ATT-throttles-unlimited-account-when-data-usage-is-only-1-5Gb/m-p/2979829#M183618

They have used 1.5GB in ONE week which is on track for their usage of 6GB last month. That is why they are being throttled.

Wild Banchi wrote:
I agree that being throttled at 1.5GB is rather ludicrous when even customers using tiered 2GB plans are free to use up to 2GB, probably without being throttled.

Alright. 1.5GB in a week is understandable for throttling, then. Really, the throttling should not start until the user reaches over 2GB, but it certainly will not take them long...

The problem I have with all of this is that theoretically, you could be throttled for using even as little as 100 MB in a week, if AT&T determines that to be the threshhold for the top 5%...and the insinuation from some folks that the throttling should apply no matter what the actual data usage amount turns out to be for the top 5%.  These folks would even think it fair and reasonable that someone in the top 5% should be rightfully throttled even if the top 5% calculates out to be say, 1 GB...

Which assumes that AT&T would continue with the policy if the top 5% of users were only using 100MB of data.  Somehow I doubt that would be the case.  That is the problem with taking real world cases and presuming absurd extremes.

If you think that there are people in this forum that would consider throttling someone who was using 1GB of data in a month reasonable, please name them and provide links to posts that back up your assumption.  Because I don't recall anyone ever saying that, but I'll certainly admit I might have missed it.

On the other hand, since you didn't put a time frame on your 1GB data consumption, I'd certainly agree that it could be reasonable to throttle someone who used 1GB of data in, say, 1 day.  Particularly if that level of usage was a common occurance for them.

Ok, maybe I should have stated, "IMHO these folks may think it reasonable..." rather than, "These folks would think it reasonable"--but in any case my intent wasn't to imply that someone here had explicitly stated that it would be reasonable.

The reason why I didn't put a timeframe on my 1 GB example is because apparently nobody but AT&T knows what timeframe they use when they determine how much data the top 5% uses; some folks may feel that 200 MB/day, 1 GB/week and 4 GB/month all would be fair watermarks for calculating the top 5%...but would it be fair for AT&T to use all three simultaneously when weeding out the offenders?  It's quite possible for someone to use 4 GB in a month yet not use or thus average 200 MB/day, and for someone else to use 200/MB in a day--for say, a whole week--yet wind up not using 4 GB for the month...yet either user could be throttled if AT&T chooses to calculate the top 5% based on multiple floating scales.  And no, my example is definitely not an extreme and/or absurd case--after all, we have at least one person admitting that he used 1.5 GB in a week...and it is not absolutely difficult for the average user to use 200 MB in a day if he happened to be bored that day and thus decided to stream a bunch of Netflix movies to kill some time.

35 of 49 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 9:54:56 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T has 90-something million customers. If 40% of them have smartphones, that's mid-30 million numbers. 5% of that figure is potentially 1.5 million people.

Wild Banchi wrote:
When I had initially heard the message a few months ago that AT&T was going to begin throttling the top 5% of its data users, I had thought it would only be a small handful of people. Wow, was I underestimated...

AT&T has 90-something million customers. If 40% of them have smartphones, that's mid-30 million numbers. 5% of that figure is potentially 1.5 million people.

Wild Banchi wrote:
When I had initially heard the message a few months ago that AT&T was going to begin throttling the top 5% of its data users, I had thought it would only be a small handful of people. Wow, was I underestimated...

36 of 49 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 3:07:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yup. When I first heard the news, I forgot to factor in those million or so people. I did not think there would be quite that many. There sure seem to be about a million people complaining about it here, though... Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yup. When I first heard the news, I forgot to factor in those million or so people. I did not think there would be quite that many. There sure seem to be about a million people complaining about it here, though... Smiley Wink

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

37 of 49 (387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 3:11:02 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by archermoo on Dec 3, 2011 at 3:11:22 PM

Wild Banchi wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

See, that's the thing.  I've only seen two people that have been throttled complaining here.  Though I'll admit I might have missed some others.

Wild Banchi wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

See, that's the thing.  I've only seen two people that have been throttled complaining here.  Though I'll admit I might have missed some others.

[ Edited ]
38 of 49 (384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 4:49:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
@archermoo

If you take a look at some of the threads in the General Care and Support section of this Forum, you will see many more people complaining about being throttled. That's where I got my "millions" claim from. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

@archermoo

If you take a look at some of the threads in the General Care and Support section of this Forum, you will see many more people complaining about being throttled. That's where I got my "millions" claim from. Smiley Tongue

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

39 of 49 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 5:20:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

This is not a surprise and it is not new. AT&T, and other companies, have been saying for months and months that they want to/and are going to ... discourage.... unlimited users. They figured out 10 seconds after making them avilable that they lose too much money with unlimted plans. They've been very vocal about it and are not obligated to honor those plans forever. They can make the rules up as they go along and as long as they give 30 days notice, no one can do a darn thing about it.

Verizon saw the light and stopped offering unlimited... T-mobile throttles.. and it is only going to be a matter of time before Sprint wakes up and goes to tiered plans too.

The days of "free" or low cost unlimited are all but gone. Cell companies, Home Internet companies...they all see they can make more money putting on limits. So you have 2 choices... deal with it... or figure out how to open your own company, lol

This is not a surprise and it is not new. AT&T, and other companies, have been saying for months and months that they want to/and are going to ... discourage.... unlimited users. They figured out 10 seconds after making them avilable that they lose too much money with unlimted plans. They've been very vocal about it and are not obligated to honor those plans forever. They can make the rules up as they go along and as long as they give 30 days notice, no one can do a darn thing about it.

Verizon saw the light and stopped offering unlimited... T-mobile throttles.. and it is only going to be a matter of time before Sprint wakes up and goes to tiered plans too.

The days of "free" or low cost unlimited are all but gone. Cell companies, Home Internet companies...they all see they can make more money putting on limits. So you have 2 choices... deal with it... or figure out how to open your own company, lol

40 of 49 (349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 8:25:30 AM
(0)
Guru

TammyK673 wrote:

LOL who's to say that they won't try to find a way to make even more money off of tiered users as well?  Heck--IMHO AT&T should have set the 2 GB tiered plan price to $30 instead of $25; after all, $30 didn't stop millions of folks from purchasing the first three generations of iPhones...

TammyK673 wrote:

LOL who's to say that they won't try to find a way to make even more money off of tiered users as well?  Heck--IMHO AT&T should have set the 2 GB tiered plan price to $30 instead of $25; after all, $30 didn't stop millions of folks from purchasing the first three generations of iPhones...

41 of 49 (369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 8:40:05 AM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

TammyK673 wrote:

I'm guessing they were more concerned with giving people incentive to switch from the unlimited plans.  With the 2GB costing the same as the unlimited plan I'm guessing a lot fewer people would've switched.

tonester wrote:

TammyK673 wrote:

I'm guessing they were more concerned with giving people incentive to switch from the unlimited plans.  With the 2GB costing the same as the unlimited plan I'm guessing a lot fewer people would've switched.

42 of 49 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 12:52:50 PM
(0)
Guru

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

TammyK673 wrote:

True...in that case--if AT&T really only cared about the bottom line when it comes to data plans, then what they should have done was get everybody off of the unlimited plan and price 200 MB at $20 and 2 GB at $30; I wouldn't think anyone against unlimited data (for whatever reason) would or should complain about those pricing levels, seeing that under the old system all those millions and millions of 1st-3rd gen iPhone users were apparently more than happy to pay $30 (I don't remember if it was $30 as well for 1st-gen iPhone users) no matter how much or how little data they used.

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

TammyK673 wrote:

True...in that case--if AT&T really only cared about the bottom line when it comes to data plans, then what they should have done was get everybody off of the unlimited plan and price 200 MB at $20 and 2 GB at $30; I wouldn't think anyone against unlimited data (for whatever reason) would or should complain about those pricing levels, seeing that under the old system all those millions and millions of 1st-3rd gen iPhone users were apparently more than happy to pay $30 (I don't remember if it was $30 as well for 1st-gen iPhone users) no matter how much or how little data they used.

43 of 49 (343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 2:05:51 PM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

A couple of problems with that.  One of the reasons that AT&T gave for moving to the tiered plans was to provide a cheaper alternative to the existing unlimited plans that all iPhone users had to have.  Making the 2GB plan cost the same as the existing unlimited plan would give people very little reason to move to it.  And, presumably for PR reasons, they didn't wan't to just unilaterally get rid of the unlimited plans to force people into the new structure.

And for 1st gen phones it was $20/month for unlimited data, which also included 200 texts if I recall correctly.

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

A couple of problems with that.  One of the reasons that AT&T gave for moving to the tiered plans was to provide a cheaper alternative to the existing unlimited plans that all iPhone users had to have.  Making the 2GB plan cost the same as the existing unlimited plan would give people very little reason to move to it.  And, presumably for PR reasons, they didn't wan't to just unilaterally get rid of the unlimited plans to force people into the new structure.

And for 1st gen phones it was $20/month for unlimited data, which also included 200 texts if I recall correctly.

44 of 49 (331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 7:20:16 AM
(0)
Guru

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

Hence why I said they should just eliminate the unlimited plan entirely and sunset those users already on it; besides, even with unlimited plan folks being grandfathered I'd still argue for a $30/2 GB charge because then you can choose between paying $30 for unlimited but potentially throttled data, or $30 (and upwards) for a fixed amount of--but completely unthrottled--data...pick your poison.  "Cheaper alternative"?  Puhleeze...this is the same company that eliminated the $10/1000 text plan so that the only plan users who are looking for a text plan can choose from is one that costs more than the outgoing one--the $20/unlimited; how is that exactly a "cheaper alternative"?  And please don't counter that you're at least getting unlimited texts--if it costs more than the one that is being eliminated...then how exactly would that be "cheaper" and an "alternative" to the other plan if it's the only one now available?

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

Hence why I said they should just eliminate the unlimited plan entirely and sunset those users already on it; besides, even with unlimited plan folks being grandfathered I'd still argue for a $30/2 GB charge because then you can choose between paying $30 for unlimited but potentially throttled data, or $30 (and upwards) for a fixed amount of--but completely unthrottled--data...pick your poison.  "Cheaper alternative"?  Puhleeze...this is the same company that eliminated the $10/1000 text plan so that the only plan users who are looking for a text plan can choose from is one that costs more than the outgoing one--the $20/unlimited; how is that exactly a "cheaper alternative"?  And please don't counter that you're at least getting unlimited texts--if it costs more than the one that is being eliminated...then how exactly would that be "cheaper" and an "alternative" to the other plan if it's the only one now available?

45 of 49 (314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 8:44:49 AM
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

Unfortuantely the way the tos and fair use policy is written they could not just sunset the plan outright, they just grandfathered it, but all previous agreements are in affect. The only way they could have done this was to have written the grandfather clause to match what they did with the old no data plan required for a smarthphone - they tied it to the device that the excemption was on - as long as you had the same device you where not required to have a data plan, the minute you swapped the sim to a different device or upgraded the current device the excemption was removed and a data plan became required.

How about thrown in in they added unlimited mobile to any mobile minutes with the plan change, seriously have no idea why they did that, that one has me scratching my head also. Only thing I can see that would justify it is profit,  I am all ablut profit and cost savings but even I have limits

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

Unfortuantely the way the tos and fair use policy is written they could not just sunset the plan outright, they just grandfathered it, but all previous agreements are in affect. The only way they could have done this was to have written the grandfather clause to match what they did with the old no data plan required for a smarthphone - they tied it to the device that the excemption was on - as long as you had the same device you where not required to have a data plan, the minute you swapped the sim to a different device or upgraded the current device the excemption was removed and a data plan became required.

How about thrown in in they added unlimited mobile to any mobile minutes with the plan change, seriously have no idea why they did that, that one has me scratching my head also. Only thing I can see that would justify it is profit,  I am all ablut profit and cost savings but even I have limits

46 of 49 (308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 9:05:03 AM
(0)
Guru

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

As I said, I'm guessing the reason they allowed people to keep the unlimited plan was a PR move.  I'm sure they'd much rather people switch over to the current data plan structure, and are now giving us extra incentive to do so.

And as to "cheaper alternative", last time I checked both $15 and $25 were less than $30.  For people like my wife who rarely use more than 100MB of data in a month, being able to pay $15/month instead of $30 is great.  So yeah, the "new" price structure allowed for a cheaper alternative to the $30/month unlimited plan that used to be the only option.

I'm not quite sure why you brought up the texting plans considering I was only talking about the data plans.  Though personally I'm glad I've still got the $5/200 messages plan in place there.  Though with iMessage I might be better off just dropping that entirely.  I'll have to run the numbers on how many non-iMessage texts a send per month and see if it is worth it anymore for me.

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

As I said, I'm guessing the reason they allowed people to keep the unlimited plan was a PR move.  I'm sure they'd much rather people switch over to the current data plan structure, and are now giving us extra incentive to do so.

And as to "cheaper alternative", last time I checked both $15 and $25 were less than $30.  For people like my wife who rarely use more than 100MB of data in a month, being able to pay $15/month instead of $30 is great.  So yeah, the "new" price structure allowed for a cheaper alternative to the $30/month unlimited plan that used to be the only option.

I'm not quite sure why you brought up the texting plans considering I was only talking about the data plans.  Though personally I'm glad I've still got the $5/200 messages plan in place there.  Though with iMessage I might be better off just dropping that entirely.  I'll have to run the numbers on how many non-iMessage texts a send per month and see if it is worth it anymore for me.

47 of 49 (298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 10:09:01 AM
(0)
Expert

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

No it was a money move - there are clauses in the tos that explain this.

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

archermoo wrote:

No it was a money move - there are clauses in the tos that explain this.

48 of 49 (293 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 2:38:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Only thing I can see that would justify it is profit,  I am all ablut profit and cost savings but even I have limits

What?!

wingrider01 wrote:

Only thing I can see that would justify it is profit,  I am all ablut profit and cost savings but even I have limits

What?!

49 of 49 (278 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments