Posted Jan 5, 2012
7:38:21 PM
I have an iPhone 4 If I get a new Phone can i switch back to my iPhone anytime?
Edited by jeff77789 on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:38:53 PM

So like the title says, If i get a new phone(that's most likely going to be either an android or a windows phone) with the discounted price that comes with a new 2yr plan, Can i switch back over to my iphone at anytime? and after that can i switch Back to that phone? ...and so on

i know the iphone has some microSIM card or something i forget the exact name but i know it's not an average sim Card

thanks in advance =D

So like the title says, If i get a new phone(that's most likely going to be either an android or a windows phone) with the discounted price that comes with a new 2yr plan, Can i switch back over to my iphone at anytime? and after that can i switch Back to that phone? ...and so on

i know the iphone has some microSIM card or something i forget the exact name but i know it's not an average sim Card

thanks in advance =D

I have an iPhone 4 If I get a new Phone can i switch back to my iPhone anytime?

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 8:52:29 PM
(0)
Master

Yes you can but you would need to call ATT each time to have them put the right data plan on your account to match the phone being used.  The data plan for each phone ensures the appropriate features work such as visual voice mail, etc...

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Yes you can but you would need to call ATT each time to have them put the right data plan on your account to match the phone being used.  The data plan for each phone ensures the appropriate features work such as visual voice mail, etc...

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: I have an iPhone 4 If I get a new Phone can i switch back to my iPhone anytime?

2 of 15 (579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 9:47:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there an option where i can use the same microSIM card and just swap it from phone to phone?

i dont know any phones other than the iphone that uses the microsim

Is there an option where i can use the same microSIM card and just swap it from phone to phone?

i dont know any phones other than the iphone that uses the microsim

Re: I have an iPhone 4 If I get a new Phone can i switch back to my iPhone anytime?

3 of 15 (571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 2:29:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
No, you cannot swap your microSIM card to another smartphone that uses a standard-sized SIM card. MicroSIMs are unique to the iPhone and iPad only. You would have to change your microSIM to a standard one possibly by purchasing a SIM card adapter to use between both kinds of phones. I've heard of some people that do that.

One plus side of me owning an iPhone 3GS instead of an iPhone 4 is that I can switch my standard-sized SIM from my iPhone to my Android smartphone at any time. I just did about ten minutes ago, to be completely honest. :smileytongue:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

No, you cannot swap your microSIM card to another smartphone that uses a standard-sized SIM card. MicroSIMs are unique to the iPhone and iPad only. You would have to change your microSIM to a standard one possibly by purchasing a SIM card adapter to use between both kinds of phones. I've heard of some people that do that.

One plus side of me owning an iPhone 3GS instead of an iPhone 4 is that I can switch my standard-sized SIM from my iPhone to my Android smartphone at any time. I just did about ten minutes ago, to be completely honest. :smileytongue:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 4:11:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

when i get my new phone, i just ask them not to change my sim and ill just extend my plan and only get the new phone?

when i get my new phone, i just ask them not to change my sim and ill just extend my plan and only get the new phone?

5 of 15 (550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 5:39:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
By "extending your plan", do you mean adding another line for the new phone? If you added a line, that line would have a different phone number, so you wouldn't have the same phone number to share between each phone of that's what you are planning to do.

By "extending your plan", do you mean adding another line for the new phone? If you added a line, that line would have a different phone number, so you wouldn't have the same phone number to share between each phone of that's what you are planning to do.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 15 (546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 8:28:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

no, i meant to add 2 years to my current plan and buy a new phone.....but usually they force over a new sim card so i was wondering if i could just ask them not to give me a new one

no, i meant to add 2 years to my current plan and buy a new phone.....but usually they force over a new sim card so i was wondering if i could just ask them not to give me a new one

7 of 15 (540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 9:59:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
All new phones come with new SIMs. The SIM is a small device that could go bad over time. It would be best to swap to new SIM on a new phone to save problems down the road.
All new phones come with new SIMs. The SIM is a small device that could go bad over time. It would be best to swap to new SIM on a new phone to save problems down the road.

8 of 15 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 10:30:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I suppose you could ask them not to give you one, or they could just give you one anyway and you can tell them not to acivate it for you.

I suppose you could ask them not to give you one, or they could just give you one anyway and you can tell them not to acivate it for you.

9 of 15 (531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 2:13:04 PM
(0)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

You could get a micro-SIM adapter to use a micro-SIM in a standard sim phone.

Wild Banchi wrote:

You could get a micro-SIM adapter to use a micro-SIM in a standard sim phone.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 15 (521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 2:15:06 PM
(0)
Master
You can ask them not to activate a new sim and just move your current one around. Some reps who understand this should not have a problem. As for extending your contract for two years. Are you eligible for a discounted price either fully discounted or early upgrade discount? If not, you would be paying full price for the new phone and you would not need to extend your current contract. Contracts only get extended if you are getting some discount for the hardware.

You can ask them not to activate a new sim and just move your current one around. Some reps who understand this should not have a problem. As for extending your contract for two years. Are you eligible for a discounted price either fully discounted or early upgrade discount? If not, you would be paying full price for the new phone and you would not need to extend your current contract. Contracts only get extended if you are getting some discount for the hardware.

11 of 15 (493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 7:08:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

yea im eligible for early upgrade...

i dont quite understand about what the guy said about "sim cards breaking.." but i thought sim cards never wear out...

but anyways yea at the moment, i plan on getting some new phone (especially with CES this week) and most likely getting an adapter putting my current microsim into my new phone...i suppose i dont want them to activate the new sim since i will have to end up cutting it with a certain amount of risk of doing so

yea im eligible for early upgrade...

i dont quite understand about what the guy said about "sim cards breaking.." but i thought sim cards never wear out...

but anyways yea at the moment, i plan on getting some new phone (especially with CES this week) and most likely getting an adapter putting my current microsim into my new phone...i suppose i dont want them to activate the new sim since i will have to end up cutting it with a certain amount of risk of doing so

12 of 15 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 7:09:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

do sim cards really have a lifetime?

13 of 15 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 4:15:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I guess you could say that they have a "lifetime". They can usually be used for years until they start to deteriorate. I would say the average SIM card lasts about five to six years while still maintaining strong signal quality.

I guess you could say that they have a "lifetime". They can usually be used for years until they start to deteriorate. I would say the average SIM card lasts about five to six years while still maintaining strong signal quality.

14 of 15 (476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2012 7:09:27 PM
(0)
Master

jeff77789 wrote:

Keep in mind that SIM cards have metal to line up with the contacts in the phone.  They will wear out if the SIM is removed too many times.  The metal may also decay due to oxidation and other chemical reactions.  Given that iPHones do not really store anything on the SIM, it is not a big deal to get a new one with a new phone.

jeff77789 wrote:

Keep in mind that SIM cards have metal to line up with the contacts in the phone.  They will wear out if the SIM is removed too many times.  The metal may also decay due to oxidation and other chemical reactions.  Given that iPHones do not really store anything on the SIM, it is not a big deal to get a new one with a new phone.

15 of 15 (466 Views)