Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2009
6:29:38 PM
View profile
I have NO USEFUL Coverage in Downtown Denver, What are my options?

I live in Downtown Denver, near near Coor's Field. My home location, and my office location (a few blocks away) are both listed under "very good" in the coverage map. But I have no useful coverage. It routinely takes 3-5 tries to send an SMS, I get them about 15 minutes late, and today I had to try 39 times to make a simple phone call. I miss 90% of my incoming calls because they never seem to reach me. The most insulting part is that this happens when I have all five bars (hey, they don't lie about that!), and after about thirty minutes of this practically nil coverage it will bump down to "searching..." I highly doubt it's my phone since it works perfectly when I'm in the CBD and other places. It's only at my home and office that it practically never works, just precisely where I need it most. 

What are my options? Do I have any recourse or am I stuck with a shiny $100 a month money drain?

I live in Downtown Denver, near near Coor's Field. My home location, and my office location (a few blocks away) are both listed under "very good" in the coverage map. But I have no useful coverage. It routinely takes 3-5 tries to send an SMS, I get them about 15 minutes late, and today I had to try 39 times to make a simple phone call. I miss 90% of my incoming calls because they never seem to reach me. The most insulting part is that this happens when I have all five bars (hey, they don't lie about that!), and after about thirty minutes of this practically nil coverage it will bump down to "searching..." I highly doubt it's my phone since it works perfectly when I'm in the CBD and other places. It's only at my home and office that it practically never works, just precisely where I need it most. 

What are my options? Do I have any recourse or am I stuck with a shiny $100 a month money drain?

I have NO USEFUL Coverage in Downtown Denver, What are my options?

65 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(65)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 6:41:19 PM
(0)
Master

Your kinda stuck until they can fix the network problems on your area.

What you can try to help aleviate the problem is do into your Settings> General > Network and turn Enable 3G to OFF.

See if this solves the problem (temp solution) with you being kicked off/missing your calls. It sounds like the 3G in the area is bad and your missing items as you switch in and out of 3G.  

Your kinda stuck until they can fix the network problems on your area.

What you can try to help aleviate the problem is do into your Settings> General > Network and turn Enable 3G to OFF.

See if this solves the problem (temp solution) with you being kicked off/missing your calls. It sounds like the 3G in the area is bad and your missing items as you switch in and out of 3G.  

Re: I have NO USEFUL Coverage in Downtown Denver, What are my options?

2 of 66 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 7:53:17 PM
(0)
Expert
and also needs to try by reseting the network settings, (Settings, General, Reset then Rest Network settings) hopefully one of the 2 might help.
and also needs to try by reseting the network settings, (Settings, General, Reset then Rest Network settings) hopefully one of the 2 might help.

3 of 66 (624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 8:11:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
I have a Sony Ericsson Z750a phone and I can't find a network settings option in my settings mode to turn off the 3G option.
I have a Sony Ericsson Z750a phone and I can't find a network settings option in my settings mode to turn off the 3G option.

4 of 66 (620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 8:32:02 PM
(0)
Professor
Let me guess (since others on here have reported issues in Denver as well), 3G 850 must not be deployed in downtown Denver.
Let me guess (since others on here have reported issues in Denver as well), 3G 850 must not be deployed in downtown Denver.

5 of 66 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2009 7:28:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

My question is why can a friend with the new iphone 3GS send text messages and when I sit next to her at Coors field I can't...how is that possible.  We are both on ATT...This is SO frustrating...the dropping calls is one thing, but no internet and messaging is unreal.

My question is why can a friend with the new iphone 3GS send text messages and when I sit next to her at Coors field I can't...how is that possible.  We are both on ATT...This is SO frustrating...the dropping calls is one thing, but no internet and messaging is unreal.

6 of 66 (601 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2009 9:27:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yup Aea you're pretty much stuck.  If you search the message boards for "terrible 3g coverage downtown denver" a thread that I opened a few weeks ago should come up.  AT&T has already closed it because the moderators were tired of having to follow it.

The most useful information in that thread is that AT&T's engineers came out and tested the area concluding that the 3G signal downtown Denver is weak and virtually unusable  indoors.  Their recommended corrective action is to switch the phone into EDGE and only use that mode until upgrades to the network can be performed.  Those said upgrades are scheduled to take place in the 4th QTR of 2009.

Since you pay an additional $10 /month for the faster 3G speeds and AT&T's solution to this problem is to temporarily turn your phone into the first generation iPhone until they can fix the network, you are entitled to the difference in service costs.  I presented this point to the CS tech and was given a $40 credit to my bill.  They came up with $40 by estimating it'd be about 4 months until the problem was fixed...If enough people do this it may pressure AT&T to perform the upgrades sooner!

Don't let anybody, especially the AT&T CS techs, convince you the problem may be with your phone.  I've lived in two states with this phone and I also travel extensively for work.  This problem only occurs around Denver.  Aside from that point I've also had the phone swapped out as well as a new sim card cloned and neither of those things have fixed it.

Yup Aea you're pretty much stuck.  If you search the message boards for "terrible 3g coverage downtown denver" a thread that I opened a few weeks ago should come up.  AT&T has already closed it because the moderators were tired of having to follow it.

The most useful information in that thread is that AT&T's engineers came out and tested the area concluding that the 3G signal downtown Denver is weak and virtually unusable  indoors.  Their recommended corrective action is to switch the phone into EDGE and only use that mode until upgrades to the network can be performed.  Those said upgrades are scheduled to take place in the 4th QTR of 2009.

Since you pay an additional $10 /month for the faster 3G speeds and AT&T's solution to this problem is to temporarily turn your phone into the first generation iPhone until they can fix the network, you are entitled to the difference in service costs.  I presented this point to the CS tech and was given a $40 credit to my bill.  They came up with $40 by estimating it'd be about 4 months until the problem was fixed...If enough people do this it may pressure AT&T to perform the upgrades sooner!

Don't let anybody, especially the AT&T CS techs, convince you the problem may be with your phone.  I've lived in two states with this phone and I also travel extensively for work.  This problem only occurs around Denver.  Aside from that point I've also had the phone swapped out as well as a new sim card cloned and neither of those things have fixed it.

7 of 66 (583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2009 9:31:37 AM
(0)
Professor

And what phone do you have ?

Also, it 'may' be possible that your friend is using either 'E' (EDGE) or WiFi at the time ?

I'lve seen a lot of issues with the iPhone (specifically) in Denver from these posts.  Anyone with a non-iPhone in Denver having the same issues ? 

And what phone do you have ?

Also, it 'may' be possible that your friend is using either 'E' (EDGE) or WiFi at the time ?

I'lve seen a lot of issues with the iPhone (specifically) in Denver from these posts.  Anyone with a non-iPhone in Denver having the same issues ? 

8 of 66 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2009 9:02:50 AM
(0)
Master

And here's where you are wrong.  You're not paying an extra $10/month for 3G.  You're paying for the standard PDA-class plan, which is not dependent upon device or the network coverage where you live.  The original iPhone was given a break on data pricing, but not because it was an EDGE-only phone.  The revenue-sharing model between AT&T and Apple was allegedly very different with the first-generation iPhone.

adamb303 wrote:

And here's where you are wrong.  You're not paying an extra $10/month for 3G.  You're paying for the standard PDA-class plan, which is not dependent upon device or the network coverage where you live.  The original iPhone was given a break on data pricing, but not because it was an EDGE-only phone.  The revenue-sharing model between AT&T and Apple was allegedly very different with the first-generation iPhone.

adamb303 wrote:

9 of 66 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2009 12:49:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
How long have you been having this problem? Are there other people around you who are having the same problem? Does turning off 3G make any kind of a difference? I know that you said it doesn't happen everywhere, but Have you been to http://wireless.att.com/coverageviewer to check out how your coverage is in the areas you are reporting? Just a couple of things to ask yourself before you call at&t. They may even ask you those questions. Hope this helps..

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
How long have you been having this problem? Are there other people around you who are having the same problem? Does turning off 3G make any kind of a difference? I know that you said it doesn't happen everywhere, but Have you been to http://wireless.att.com/coverageviewer to check out how your coverage is in the areas you are reporting? Just a couple of things to ask yourself before you call at&t. They may even ask you those questions. Hope this helps..

10 of 66 (554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2009 12:53:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a 3G. 

I have very little difference going from EDGE to 3G, everyone with ATT same problem here (Verizon and Sprint seem to work perfectly). The coverage map lists the coverage at the highest level when I checked (when I posted), think it was "Very Good" or something to that extent. 

I have a 3G. 

I have very little difference going from EDGE to 3G, everyone with ATT same problem here (Verizon and Sprint seem to work perfectly). The coverage map lists the coverage at the highest level when I checked (when I posted), think it was "Very Good" or something to that extent. 

11 of 66 (455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2009 10:20:50 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tmedlin on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:22:09 AM

I live east of Brighton (6mi east of I-76 on 152nd) and ever since 3G service was activated, my coverage at the house has went from mediocre to awful.

I used to be able  to make phone calls fairly easily, but now I'm lucky if I can even squeek out a text message. Often I will have to send the message 3 to 5 times.

I have been patiently waiting for AT&T to get the Microcell service rolled out, but am just about out of patience. 

This is affecting my business in a bad way- I'm on call 24/7/365 and rely on my cell phone tremendously.

I have used and tried switching between the following phones:

HTC Fuze

AT&T Tilt (8925)

AT&T Wizard (8125)

All exhibit the same failure as useful devices.

The iPhone 3G  my wife uses as well as my daughters blackberry and Sony Ericsson all act the same.

Dropped calls, inability to send messages.

I have thought about installing a Wilson dual band repeater, but at the cost of $500 and the fact that the nearest cell tower is quite some distance, I just dont know if it is worth it.

Hey AT&T- how about you do something about the bad service in the Denver metro area?! Heck, I'll even donate space on the 50 ft radio tower I have in my back yard!

EDIT: and yes, I have 3G/HSDPA shut off on my Fuze Smiley Wink

Message Edited by tmedlin on 08-28-2009 10:22:09 AM

I live east of Brighton (6mi east of I-76 on 152nd) and ever since 3G service was activated, my coverage at the house has went from mediocre to awful.

I used to be able  to make phone calls fairly easily, but now I'm lucky if I can even squeek out a text message. Often I will have to send the message 3 to 5 times.

I have been patiently waiting for AT&T to get the Microcell service rolled out, but am just about out of patience. 

This is affecting my business in a bad way- I'm on call 24/7/365 and rely on my cell phone tremendously.

I have used and tried switching between the following phones:

HTC Fuze

AT&T Tilt (8925)

AT&T Wizard (8125)

All exhibit the same failure as useful devices.

The iPhone 3G  my wife uses as well as my daughters blackberry and Sony Ericsson all act the same.

Dropped calls, inability to send messages.

I have thought about installing a Wilson dual band repeater, but at the cost of $500 and the fact that the nearest cell tower is quite some distance, I just dont know if it is worth it.

Hey AT&T- how about you do something about the bad service in the Denver metro area?! Heck, I'll even donate space on the 50 ft radio tower I have in my back yard!

EDIT: and yes, I have 3G/HSDPA shut off on my Fuze Smiley Wink

Message Edited by tmedlin on 08-28-2009 10:22:09 AM

[ Edited ]
12 of 66 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2009 2:01:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have commented on another thread about this (the one shut down) that I have the same problems in Denver.  I have tried calling CS, but none of them will tell me its their networks fault.  Finally a guy at a AT&T store in Littleton said they are doing a bunch of upgrades to the Denver area and until those upgrades are complete, service will be terrible.  I work right next to mile high stadium, where one would think coverage would be excellent, and its horrible.  Switching the iphones 3G off doesnt seem to help at all.  So my only suggestion is to keep calling AT&T and complaining and at some point they will have to hurry up and finish whatever "upgrades" they are doing. Like someone stated before, dont let them tell you its your phones fault either.  

I have commented on another thread about this (the one shut down) that I have the same problems in Denver.  I have tried calling CS, but none of them will tell me its their networks fault.  Finally a guy at a AT&T store in Littleton said they are doing a bunch of upgrades to the Denver area and until those upgrades are complete, service will be terrible.  I work right next to mile high stadium, where one would think coverage would be excellent, and its horrible.  Switching the iphones 3G off doesnt seem to help at all.  So my only suggestion is to keep calling AT&T and complaining and at some point they will have to hurry up and finish whatever "upgrades" they are doing. Like someone stated before, dont let them tell you its your phones fault either.  

13 of 66 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2009 4:29:30 PM
(0)
Professor
I can only 'hope' that 3G 850MHz will be soon in Denver, as San Fran 'just' turned it up this week
I can only 'hope' that 3G 850MHz will be soon in Denver, as San Fran 'just' turned it up this week

14 of 66 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2009 10:43:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

It would appear from the standpoint of AT&T's customer service that they don't really care if there is terrible service in Denver and surrounding areas.  In multiple conversations with customer support, I have been told nothing more than, "Unless enough people complain, we can't start a trouble ticket regarding the coverage."  When asked if they can please add my comment to a list of complaints, I'm told that "there is currently no list to be added to."  How then are we supposed to have enough people complaining that they will do something about it if they won't keep any record of the complaints that are being lodged?

Having gone through 4 iPhones (1 first generation, 2 3G, and 1 3GS) and 3 sim cards, I'm sure I'm not experiencing hardware issues. 

In my experience with AT&T, there are several areas that service is simply ABYSMAL, 3G, Edge, and even the good ol' GPRS fallback that seems to show up on my iPhone with regularity when it can't find a 3G or Edge signal or is jumping constantly between the two.

A few areas that drive me CRAZY are as follows:

• Cheesman Park

3G coverage ranges from full to none.  If you stay in one place, mainly on the North West area of the park, you will experience full service, no service, Edge service, partial 3G service, no service, and back again - all without moving your phone!  Calls will drop frequently and the ability to make calls in a timely fashion is based solely on what signal you happen to have at the moment.  Frequently I have full 3G indication, press Call only to wait through watching the 3G coverage drop to very low, then Searching, then eventually Edge, then the call is made.

• Capitol Hill

In general, the service in Capitol Hill is spotty at best.  Here are a few intersections I've found to be the most frustrating:
  1. 11th & Ogden - Full 3G, dropped calls, switch to Edge.  Edge at 1 bar of service, then full service, then switch to 3G, low service.
  2. 12th & Logan - Consistently drop 3G calls in switch to Edge.  Edge data virtually impossible at this location.
  3. 8th & Washington - Be prepared to lose 3G calls and wait for a network connection when traveling South through this area on Washington. 

• West Wash Park

1. Lincoln & Ellsworth and surrounding area - No 3G coverage, Spotty Edge
  2. Grant & First - No 3G

• Bonnie Brae

1. University & Exposition - No 3G coverage
  2. Steele & Mississippi - 3G and Edge BOTH DROP CALLS
  3. All of Bonnie Brae Blvd from University to Steele - No 3G

• Cherry Creek

1. University & 1st - Lose 3G, slow switch to Edge
  2. University & Cherry Creek South - Drop 3G calls
  3. University & Polo Club - No Service blip
  • North Metro
  1. I-25 & 104th - 3G calls drop occasionally
  2. I-25 & 120th - All 3G calls drop
  3. US 36 & 92nd - 3G calls usually drop

This list is inclusive only of areas that STAND OUT in my mind as places I've experienced problems numerous times.  I'm sad to say that there are MANY other areas that I've had dropped calls, no service, no data, voicemail notifications with no missed calls, etc throughout the Denver Metro area.  I don't know if there's anything we can do to improve service, but I, like a lot of others will leave AT&T as soon as I can take my iPhone somewhere else if this is not addressed.

It would appear from the standpoint of AT&T's customer service that they don't really care if there is terrible service in Denver and surrounding areas.  In multiple conversations with customer support, I have been told nothing more than, "Unless enough people complain, we can't start a trouble ticket regarding the coverage."  When asked if they can please add my comment to a list of complaints, I'm told that "there is currently no list to be added to."  How then are we supposed to have enough people complaining that they will do something about it if they won't keep any record of the complaints that are being lodged?

Having gone through 4 iPhones (1 first generation, 2 3G, and 1 3GS) and 3 sim cards, I'm sure I'm not experiencing hardware issues. 

In my experience with AT&T, there are several areas that service is simply ABYSMAL, 3G, Edge, and even the good ol' GPRS fallback that seems to show up on my iPhone with regularity when it can't find a 3G or Edge signal or is jumping constantly between the two.

A few areas that drive me CRAZY are as follows:

• Cheesman Park

3G coverage ranges from full to none.  If you stay in one place, mainly on the North West area of the park, you will experience full service, no service, Edge service, partial 3G service, no service, and back again - all without moving your phone!  Calls will drop frequently and the ability to make calls in a timely fashion is based solely on what signal you happen to have at the moment.  Frequently I have full 3G indication, press Call only to wait through watching the 3G coverage drop to very low, then Searching, then eventually Edge, then the call is made.

• Capitol Hill

In general, the service in Capitol Hill is spotty at best.  Here are a few intersections I've found to be the most frustrating:
  1. 11th & Ogden - Full 3G, dropped calls, switch to Edge.  Edge at 1 bar of service, then full service, then switch to 3G, low service.
  2. 12th & Logan - Consistently drop 3G calls in switch to Edge.  Edge data virtually impossible at this location.
  3. 8th & Washington - Be prepared to lose 3G calls and wait for a network connection when traveling South through this area on Washington. 

• West Wash Park

1. Lincoln & Ellsworth and surrounding area - No 3G coverage, Spotty Edge
  2. Grant & First - No 3G

• Bonnie Brae

1. University & Exposition - No 3G coverage
  2. Steele & Mississippi - 3G and Edge BOTH DROP CALLS
  3. All of Bonnie Brae Blvd from University to Steele - No 3G

• Cherry Creek

1. University & 1st - Lose 3G, slow switch to Edge
  2. University & Cherry Creek South - Drop 3G calls
  3. University & Polo Club - No Service blip
  • North Metro
  1. I-25 & 104th - 3G calls drop occasionally
  2. I-25 & 120th - All 3G calls drop
  3. US 36 & 92nd - 3G calls usually drop

This list is inclusive only of areas that STAND OUT in my mind as places I've experienced problems numerous times.  I'm sad to say that there are MANY other areas that I've had dropped calls, no service, no data, voicemail notifications with no missed calls, etc throughout the Denver Metro area.  I don't know if there's anything we can do to improve service, but I, like a lot of others will leave AT&T as soon as I can take my iPhone somewhere else if this is not addressed.

Re: iPhone Denver 3G & Edge Service Terrible in Denver

15 of 66 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2009 3:52:25 PM
(0)
Guru
Cool it guys, there is extensive tower work that moved into the area about 3 weeks ago. Colorado Springs just got finished before the transition to here in Denver. They're completing the switch to the 850mhz spectrum, as well as servicing in-need tower and integrating new tower.
Cool it guys, there is extensive tower work that moved into the area about 3 weeks ago. Colorado Springs just got finished before the transition to here in Denver. They're completing the switch to the 850mhz spectrum, as well as servicing in-need tower and integrating new tower.

16 of 66 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2009 6:03:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well, I will "cool it" until the "upgrades" are done if ATT will let me "cool it" on the checks I am writing for useless service every month until the service becomes worth paying for...
Well, I will "cool it" until the "upgrades" are done if ATT will let me "cool it" on the checks I am writing for useless service every month until the service becomes worth paying for...

17 of 66 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2009 8:50:55 PM
(0)
Professor

I agree... When I dealt with 3G issues here in SoCal, calls were even unusable, yet I had to pay for service regardless.

The 'only' saving grace was the ability to switch to 2G on my Samsung ZX20

If I was paying $30 extra for data service (required for data devices), I'd be asking for service credit at a MINIMUM.

I agree... When I dealt with 3G issues here in SoCal, calls were even unusable, yet I had to pay for service regardless.

The 'only' saving grace was the ability to switch to 2G on my Samsung ZX20

If I was paying $30 extra for data service (required for data devices), I'd be asking for service credit at a MINIMUM.

18 of 66 (363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 6:14:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well totalimmortal363, I think there are plenty of us with a legitimate gripe here.

Can you give us an ETA on when an acceptable level of service will be restored?

I have been a LOYAL AT&T customer since the days of bag phones and Cellular One here in Denver.

Heck, I used to sell Cellular One! 

I'm doing everything I can to not switch my remaining business accounts over to Verizon.

Silence from AT&T does nothing more than infuriate people.

Matter of fact, while following a severely drunk driver on my way home Friday, I had to take video of the guy instead of call 911 because.... wait for it...

I had no service!!!

Well totalimmortal363, I think there are plenty of us with a legitimate gripe here.

Can you give us an ETA on when an acceptable level of service will be restored?

I have been a LOYAL AT&T customer since the days of bag phones and Cellular One here in Denver.

Heck, I used to sell Cellular One! 

I'm doing everything I can to not switch my remaining business accounts over to Verizon.

Silence from AT&T does nothing more than infuriate people.

Matter of fact, while following a severely drunk driver on my way home Friday, I had to take video of the guy instead of call 911 because.... wait for it...

I had no service!!!

19 of 66 (355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 8:53:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

I called CS again Saturday night to complain about the service in Denver, and finally they told me that YES they do have a big problem in Denver .  All i was looking for was an acknowledgement that they do have a problem.  He even used the word, BIG problem.  They said they are getting complaints everyday, and even opened a trouble ticket, but until they can complete whatever upgrades they are doing we will deal with bad service.  They will not give monetary credit for any network problems, but offered more roll over mintues which I had to decline since i cant even use my phone most of the time. 

Just to tell people who dont believe how bad it is in Denver, i was at mile high stadium last night, sitting in the upper level with complete views of downtown and I couldnt make a single call or send a single text message.  Had NO SERVICE most of the night.  Now i know there was thousands of other people there probably trying to do the same thing, but any network should be able to handle that correct? Others sitting by me with ATT were having the issues, but the guys sitting with me who had Verizon and Sprint, were fine.  

So keep calling, tell everyone you know to call.  Maybe they will speed up the upgrades, its only been 2 months already.  

I called CS again Saturday night to complain about the service in Denver, and finally they told me that YES they do have a big problem in Denver .  All i was looking for was an acknowledgement that they do have a problem.  He even used the word, BIG problem.  They said they are getting complaints everyday, and even opened a trouble ticket, but until they can complete whatever upgrades they are doing we will deal with bad service.  They will not give monetary credit for any network problems, but offered more roll over mintues which I had to decline since i cant even use my phone most of the time. 

Just to tell people who dont believe how bad it is in Denver, i was at mile high stadium last night, sitting in the upper level with complete views of downtown and I couldnt make a single call or send a single text message.  Had NO SERVICE most of the night.  Now i know there was thousands of other people there probably trying to do the same thing, but any network should be able to handle that correct? Others sitting by me with ATT were having the issues, but the guys sitting with me who had Verizon and Sprint, were fine.  

So keep calling, tell everyone you know to call.  Maybe they will speed up the upgrades, its only been 2 months already.  

20 of 66 (346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 1:00:20 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by zaxdude on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:02:34 PM

I just wanted to add my agreement to what appears on here to be a general level of disappointment in the coverage by AT&T found in Denver.

I'm a new AT&T customer with the iPhone 3gs; I came from Sprint after 9 years.  With Sprint, data was lightning fast with full coverage everywhere I have been.  No dropped calls (well maybe 1 or 2 in two years), no failed text messages...perfect service by all accounts by me with Sprint.

With AT&T, if a call doesn't get dropped at least once in a conversation it's a rare call indeed.  Sometimes I drop the same call 2 or three times.  Text messages?  Many will result in failure and I have to re-send.  Data speeds?  uugghhh....when the phone says 3G, I get speeds I would equate to 2G.  When it says Edge -- I may as well not even try to do anything.  Coverage maps all show the areas I'm mostly in have full 3G coverage, too.  What gives?  I don't think Denver should be listed in coverage as "green" by any stretch of the imagination.

I live really close to downtown, and work just south of the DTC area.  Most of my time is spent east of I-25 & south of I-70.  The service appears to be similar no matter where I am.

I have called Customer Service & have had contact with Tech Support.  No admissions of any real problems were given, except that there are "degraded towers" in the area.  There must be degraded towers every minute of of every day here in Denver for me then.

Granted I have not experienced AT&T service in other cities because I've only been with AT&T for just over 30 days now.  I am going back home to Kentucky & Indiana in a couple of weeks (western KY & southern IN), and will be passing through Nashville, TN.  I'm hoping to get a feel for how the areas compare to Denver.

But for me, as it stands now, in Denver AT&T for the most part "blows chunks" (as someone elsewhere has said).

So now I've added my disappointment to the list.  Hopefully have some have suggested that the crappy service is related to upgrades being currently performed.  Hopefully it's because they'll implement the 850 overlay as I've heard it makes a world of difference.  Time will tell.

Message Edited by zaxdude on 08-31-2009 02:02:34 PM

I just wanted to add my agreement to what appears on here to be a general level of disappointment in the coverage by AT&T found in Denver.

I'm a new AT&T customer with the iPhone 3gs; I came from Sprint after 9 years.  With Sprint, data was lightning fast with full coverage everywhere I have been.  No dropped calls (well maybe 1 or 2 in two years), no failed text messages...perfect service by all accounts by me with Sprint.

With AT&T, if a call doesn't get dropped at least once in a conversation it's a rare call indeed.  Sometimes I drop the same call 2 or three times.  Text messages?  Many will result in failure and I have to re-send.  Data speeds?  uugghhh....when the phone says 3G, I get speeds I would equate to 2G.  When it says Edge -- I may as well not even try to do anything.  Coverage maps all show the areas I'm mostly in have full 3G coverage, too.  What gives?  I don't think Denver should be listed in coverage as "green" by any stretch of the imagination.

I live really close to downtown, and work just south of the DTC area.  Most of my time is spent east of I-25 & south of I-70.  The service appears to be similar no matter where I am.

I have called Customer Service & have had contact with Tech Support.  No admissions of any real problems were given, except that there are "degraded towers" in the area.  There must be degraded towers every minute of of every day here in Denver for me then.

Granted I have not experienced AT&T service in other cities because I've only been with AT&T for just over 30 days now.  I am going back home to Kentucky & Indiana in a couple of weeks (western KY & southern IN), and will be passing through Nashville, TN.  I'm hoping to get a feel for how the areas compare to Denver.

But for me, as it stands now, in Denver AT&T for the most part "blows chunks" (as someone elsewhere has said).

So now I've added my disappointment to the list.  Hopefully have some have suggested that the crappy service is related to upgrades being currently performed.  Hopefully it's because they'll implement the 850 overlay as I've heard it makes a world of difference.  Time will tell.

Message Edited by zaxdude on 08-31-2009 02:02:34 PM

[ Edited ]
21 of 66 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 1:22:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't understand the service though.  Sometimes friends with the same iphone and AT&T service next to me at Coors field can send a message but I can't?  Anyway, I live C470 and Ken Caryl on the inside of C470.  iPhone works in the house 50% of the time...but my AT&T blackberry works 80-90% of the time.  I work in DTC and do not have a route that I can take to and from work with out dropping calls at least 2 or 3 times.  This is ridiculous.  I just don't understand how, in a large city like Denver, service can be so bad.  It is incredibly frustrating.

Someone mentioned that we shouldn't let them tell me its the phone, but I do notice my husbands iphone does a little better than mine - could there be something there too? 

I wish someone else would support the iPhone and I wish I didn't have 20 months left in my 24 month contract.  I just don't understand and it is really dissappointing.  My husband called AT&T CS and in a debate with the rep, the rep hung up on him after saying he hopes our service gets worse.  I was listening, my husband didn't yell, swear, or anything, just kept asking for a manager/supervisor since he wasn't getting anywhere.  Doesn't seem like a degraded tower in Aurora would be our problem!

Just makes me sick.

I don't understand the service though.  Sometimes friends with the same iphone and AT&T service next to me at Coors field can send a message but I can't?  Anyway, I live C470 and Ken Caryl on the inside of C470.  iPhone works in the house 50% of the time...but my AT&T blackberry works 80-90% of the time.  I work in DTC and do not have a route that I can take to and from work with out dropping calls at least 2 or 3 times.  This is ridiculous.  I just don't understand how, in a large city like Denver, service can be so bad.  It is incredibly frustrating.

Someone mentioned that we shouldn't let them tell me its the phone, but I do notice my husbands iphone does a little better than mine - could there be something there too? 

I wish someone else would support the iPhone and I wish I didn't have 20 months left in my 24 month contract.  I just don't understand and it is really dissappointing.  My husband called AT&T CS and in a debate with the rep, the rep hung up on him after saying he hopes our service gets worse.  I was listening, my husband didn't yell, swear, or anything, just kept asking for a manager/supervisor since he wasn't getting anywhere.  Doesn't seem like a degraded tower in Aurora would be our problem!

Just makes me sick.

22 of 66 (393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 2:52:50 PM
(0)
Professor

The only recommendation that 'I' (a consumer) can give (since I went through it in L.A.) is to set your phone to '2G/EDGE' vs. 3G until the issue is fixed (i.e. 3G 850MHz is deployed in downtown Denver).

The only recommendation that 'I' (a consumer) can give (since I went through it in L.A.) is to set your phone to '2G/EDGE' vs. 3G until the issue is fixed (i.e. 3G 850MHz is deployed in downtown Denver).

23 of 66 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 3:03:57 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by zaxdude on Aug 31, 2009 at 3:05:28 PM

I appreciate your consumer recommendation, and I'm sure it would work for me & others.  But I, personaly, would rather not do that because a) I shouldn't have to do it and b) 2G is wretchedly horrid.  At least when I am in place where 3G works, data works reasonably well.  If it's always in 2G, I might make reliable phone calls, but data is only going to "blow chunks".

I'd rather leave it 3G and go into it knowing that my calls are gonna be dropped.  It's a trade-off in the interim I'm willing to put up with. 

AT&T hopefully knows they have a job to do in Denver and they need to do it quick.  I trust it's not going to be only downtown Denver that gets the 850MHz...the entire metro should get it; it's not only downtown that sucks.   I'm hoping that the service I get back home (KY/IN) is awesome so that I'll know I have something to look forward to in Denver.

I wonder if we should start an AT&T support group just for those of us in Denver!  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by zaxdude on 08-31-2009 04:05:12 PM
Message Edited by zaxdude on 08-31-2009 04:05:28 PM

I appreciate your consumer recommendation, and I'm sure it would work for me & others.  But I, personaly, would rather not do that because a) I shouldn't have to do it and b) 2G is wretchedly horrid.  At least when I am in place where 3G works, data works reasonably well.  If it's always in 2G, I might make reliable phone calls, but data is only going to "blow chunks".

I'd rather leave it 3G and go into it knowing that my calls are gonna be dropped.  It's a trade-off in the interim I'm willing to put up with. 

AT&T hopefully knows they have a job to do in Denver and they need to do it quick.  I trust it's not going to be only downtown Denver that gets the 850MHz...the entire metro should get it; it's not only downtown that sucks.   I'm hoping that the service I get back home (KY/IN) is awesome so that I'll know I have something to look forward to in Denver.

I wonder if we should start an AT&T support group just for those of us in Denver!  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by zaxdude on 08-31-2009 04:05:12 PM
Message Edited by zaxdude on 08-31-2009 04:05:28 PM

[ Edited ]
24 of 66 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 3:15:22 PM
(0)
Professor

If Denver goes like it did in L.A. or S.F., they typically start deploying 850MHz in the more rural areas (that need it just to make coverage) and into the city, where its needed for capacity.    Only other option would be to switch carriers.

Try to have a customer rep 'escallate' the issue, and make sure that you get a trouble ticket (have to beat the B.S. out of C.S. somehow).

If Denver goes like it did in L.A. or S.F., they typically start deploying 850MHz in the more rural areas (that need it just to make coverage) and into the city, where its needed for capacity.    Only other option would be to switch carriers.

Try to have a customer rep 'escallate' the issue, and make sure that you get a trouble ticket (have to beat the B.S. out of C.S. somehow).

25 of 66 (357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 1:54:35 PM
(0)
Voyager
They (AT&T) could have most likely avoided a lot of angry customers if they had just put out a press release that says "..hey, we are upgrading our towers...bob loblaw... etc. your patience is greatly appreciated...."   I believe someone earlier in this message said something about "...their silence doesn't help....".   I've experienced the Coors Field issue.  A few times sitting in section 204 and just last night sitting in section 311.  Full 3G bars, no data network.  I recognize there is an a-load of steel and concrete in that structure, but I saw others around me on various phones surfing what was obviously a data network.  So hopefully the 850 MHz upgrade will help, especially for those that rely on the iPhone for business.  In the West Wash Park neighborhood, my wife cannot use her iPhone in our basement (office) for placing or receiving calls.  Too many complaints of "you're cutting out....".  Although we can get 4-5 bars of 3G on the main level. 
They (AT&T) could have most likely avoided a lot of angry customers if they had just put out a press release that says "..hey, we are upgrading our towers...bob loblaw... etc. your patience is greatly appreciated...."   I believe someone earlier in this message said something about "...their silence doesn't help....".   I've experienced the Coors Field issue.  A few times sitting in section 204 and just last night sitting in section 311.  Full 3G bars, no data network.  I recognize there is an a-load of steel and concrete in that structure, but I saw others around me on various phones surfing what was obviously a data network.  So hopefully the 850 MHz upgrade will help, especially for those that rely on the iPhone for business.  In the West Wash Park neighborhood, my wife cannot use her iPhone in our basement (office) for placing or receiving calls.  Too many complaints of "you're cutting out....".  Although we can get 4-5 bars of 3G on the main level. 

26 of 66 (327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 2:17:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
The stadium structure has nothing to do with it. When there's a game there's nocoverage for a several BLOCK area. Sometimes as far as the millenium bridge, no voice either, but 4 to 5 bars.
The stadium structure has nothing to do with it. When there's a game there's nocoverage for a several BLOCK area. Sometimes as far as the millenium bridge, no voice either, but 4 to 5 bars.

27 of 66 (348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 2:47:09 PM
(0)
Voyager

Interesting....   As soon as we walk out of the stadium, near home plate entrance, I can get data coverage.  Maybe Verizon activates a jamming device during the game, since they are a sponsor of one of the quirky fan text message games. 

So are you saying there is "perfect" coverage on away game days or in the off season? 

Interesting....   As soon as we walk out of the stadium, near home plate entrance, I can get data coverage.  Maybe Verizon activates a jamming device during the game, since they are a sponsor of one of the quirky fan text message games. 

So are you saying there is "perfect" coverage on away game days or in the off season? 

28 of 66 (345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 6:28:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yes, I live right across the street from Coor's field and coverage is absolutely perfect when there's no game on. When there's a game, no coverage at all. What's worse is that my friends and co-workers who have both Sprint and Verizon have working signals all the time. 
Yes, I live right across the street from Coor's field and coverage is absolutely perfect when there's no game on. When there's a game, no coverage at all. What's worse is that my friends and co-workers who have both Sprint and Verizon have working signals all the time. 

29 of 66 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2009 8:25:06 PM
(0)
Professor
I would agree... AT&T should at least acknowledge the issue, however, seeing as they've done the SAME thing in L.A., San Antonio, Houston, San Francisco, NYC, I don't see any 'notification' coming for Denver, as they never even acknowledged (office of the President did 3 warranty exchanges when I had this issue)
I would agree... AT&T should at least acknowledge the issue, however, seeing as they've done the SAME thing in L.A., San Antonio, Houston, San Francisco, NYC, I don't see any 'notification' coming for Denver, as they never even acknowledged (office of the President did 3 warranty exchanges when I had this issue)

30 of 66 (327 Views)