Helpful Links

I guess AT&T does not want my business!

Contributor

I guess AT&T does not want my business!

Hi everyone, I have been an AT&T wireless customer since way back before they were Cingular, back when they were AT&T originally. While the rates leave a lot to be desired I have not had much of a complaint up until recently. You see, lately there is some new policy regarding being late with a bill that does not make any sense to me at all, as well as keeping me from being able to make a payment. Lately they will just shut off my phone and I can not even dial 611 to get a customer service rep. This latest time it happened is today, and I am quite upset. I got an email reminder that my bill was due over the weekend, followed by some stupid looking email about how they were trying to collect on a past due balance blah blah... I would have called yesterday but I was busy due to the holiday, and today well, today i cant call to make arrangements, or pay, because the phone won't work... Now, its important to know that I am only 1 month behind... 1 month... like to the day almost... and if you were to look at my history I have always caught up and paid my bill in full if I get behind... And I am normally not behind, so to be treated like a second class citizen really really really turns me off. Especially when I have endured and been gracious through several AT&T billing 'blunders' and dealt with the over priced service for so long. The last couple times this happened I called them and asked if there was something they can do to give me a heads up before they just shut it off, since this is my only phone for work and business... not really they said. And one day I happened to be next to my daughter when she got a text message reminder, and so I called immediately and asked if they could maybe send 'my phone' (the primary line on the acct.) the txt message reminders instead of my daughters phone.... No was the answer to that, because my daughters phone number starts with a lower digit than mine the 'machine' will send her the text message reminder and not me... and that is all wrapped in the mysterious fact that 'sometimes' the 'machine' will send a txt alert, but I shouldn't count on that. OK, so AT&T is using a commodore 64 for customer service or what? Cant tell the 'machine' to use a different number? ??????? Are they trying to harvest re-connection fees? I would pay my bill if I could just call the freaking customer support line... They shut my phone off again... for being a month late... again... And they sent an email over the weekend but I didn't even get time to call and make an arrangements. And I can only guess, but they might have sent a txt reminder to my daughters phone...maybe Well, I guess that AT&T must not want me as a customer... I might as well get a pay as you go plan with walmart if I get this kind of service To those who have not signed up for AT&T wireless service I suggest you to consider another option.
Message 1 of 27
Scholar

Re: I guess AT&T does not want my business!

Im sorry to hear that, but remember, if you are having trouble paying youre bill on youre bill due, you can also request to customer service change youre billing cycle, that will change youre bill due, but you have to change it on youre current bill cycle to avoid a lot of proration... hope this helps... then can suspend the line even with days with past due... be careful.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 27
Former Employee

Only!? one month behind, that is just not good, get your life together, try to get ahead of your bills and stuff like that will never happen to you again, also your credit score will benefit. Now I can understand sometimes stuff happens and you must be late (but a whole month?! seriously?), well you need to call AT&T and make payment arrangements before your bill is due, not when your phone is suspended. No company is obligated to provide a service for free, they can only wait for so long for your payment, but at some point they have to do something about it.  

Message 3 of 27

There is no new policy. Your service is subject for interruption at any point past the due date. Simply call AT&T before the services are interrupted if you need more time on your bill. AT&T is extremely flexible when it comes to giving payment arrangements on past due balances. Really sorry that you are not able to contact AT&T via the cell phone, but there are other means. AT&T does want your business, but expects to be paid for services rendered, just like any other business-client relationship. If AT&T owed you a credit, or a rebate and stated that it would be due to you on 09/08/2010 and you didn't have it, I can guarantee that you would raise the question to them as to where it was. Same thing with the monthly bill.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 4 of 27

You're lucky they keep continuing to give you a month before they shut it off. Your balance is due when it's due. You can't gripe and moan that you're upset with AT&T because they won't let you go multiple months past due.
Message 5 of 27
Scholar

did you call AT&T to have a payment arrangement???

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 27
Professor

You were late, you were suspended. Whats the issue?

Message 7 of 27
Mentor

Its nice to see the compassion you got from the other responders. Lets say someone did not get the bill because it was lost in the mail... it happens !! Now lets say AT&T was a car company, and someone was late making a car payment, and they used a remote control device to render the car useless until the payment was made......Car companies do it right....they give you 3 months then take your car away.

AT&T does it backwards. Some people use their phone to make money, just as people need their car to make money. Missing one payment on ANYTHING is something that can happen to literally anyone. This should not constitute taking service away....YET.

AT&T has once again got too big. This is a cycle that has happened for at least 30 years now. As a long distance provider originally, their monopoly had to be broken up by the government, and now as the largest or 2nd largest mobile phone provider they have once again forgotten the most important part of their business......the customer, and put short term profits first.

I for one have been disgusted at their arrogance for other reasons, and this one just adds to my list of reasons I am going to verizon. I realize they are very similar, but verizon does not change their policies in ways that effect my contract, or make promises to only later say I have nothing in my contract to make that promise valid. AT&T has lied to me about many things and I am sick of it.

Message 8 of 27
Highlighted

Get off your soap box and re-read the original post. This isn't a "one-time thing." The OP says that it's happened multiple times. Even if a bill is lost in the mail, that does not excuse you from paying it. It's still due.
Message 9 of 27
Professor

Wow, ATT can do nothing right. From wanting their payment to suspending service for non-payment, all of a sudden they are "too big". A little dose of reality will show that if you dont pay your bill, your service is suspended. If your car company had a way of repo-ing your car before 3 months, I'm sure they would. Also, lets not even get started that its actually the bank that wants the car back, not the car dealer....

Message 10 of 27

Verizon has a due date, and they are bigger than AT&T...what sense does this make. They will expect thier money too.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 11 of 27
Guru

Irondog wrote:

Its nice to see the compassion you got from the other responders. Lets say someone did not get the bill because it was lost in the mail... it happens !! Now lets say AT&T was a car company, and someone was late making a car payment, and they used a remote control device to render the car useless until the payment was made......Car companies do it right....they give you 3 months then take your car away.

AT&T does it backwards. Some people use their phone to make money, just as people need their car to make money. Missing one payment on ANYTHING is something that can happen to literally anyone. This should not constitute taking service away....YET.

AT&T has once again got too big. This is a cycle that has happened for at least 30 years now. As a long distance provider originally, their monopoly had to be broken up by the government, and now as the largest or 2nd largest mobile phone provider they have once again forgotten the most important part of their business......the customer, and put short term profits first.

I for one have been disgusted at their arrogance for other reasons, and this one just adds to my list of reasons I am going to verizon. I realize they are very similar, but verizon does not change their policies in ways that effect my contract, or make promises to only later say I have nothing in my contract to make that promise valid. AT&T has lied to me about many things and I am sick of it.

Yes, because is AT&T's fault that people don't pay on time and have their lines suspended, right?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 27

I cant wait until you get screwed over by this company like some of the rest of us have. I have had my service shut off too and it was not even my issue. The EMPLOYEE did not follow through with payment. Most companies would have the decency to make up for a mistake like that but AT&T does not do a thing. They just screw it up even more. So you can step off of your soap box too. 

juicy907couture wrote:
Get off your soap box and re-read the original post. This isn't a "one-time thing." The OP says that it's happened multiple times. Even if a bill is lost in the mail, that does not excuse you from paying it. It's still due.

Message 13 of 27

{Please keep it courteous} You really can see why this company is crap. Just look at the responses from some if it decision makers. I have been screwed by this company and it employees and I cant wait until AT&T looses its grasp on the iPhone. You guys would lose soooo many customers.

Message 14 of 27

Preachintheghetto wrote:

{Please keep it courteous} You really can see why this company is crap. Just look at the responses from some if it decision makers. I have been screwed by this company and it employees and I cant wait until AT&T looses its grasp on the iPhone. You guys would lose soooo many customers.

This conversation is nothing new and has been discussed.

Message 15 of 27
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support