I got a 3Gs on April 31st, I'm screwed right?

Tutor

I got a 3Gs on April 31st, I'm screwed right?

I've been reading through all the posts here and at various other sites, and it seems pretty much like im out of luck for a Iphone 4g.  It's been more than 30 days, and I'm not in a financial situation to drop another 200-400$ on top of the $200 I just spent.  Anyone in this situation, or ever dealt with this before, is ATT flexible with this kind of stuff?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8 (1,012 Views)
Master

Re: I got a 3Gs on April 31st, I'm screwed right?

You are probably out of luck.  Sorry.  AT&T is absolutely not flexible with "this kind of stuff".

Message 2 of 8 (988 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I figured as much, but certainly worth a try.

Message 3 of 8 (978 Views)
Teacher

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just sell that iPhone 3GS and buy the new iPhone? 3GS's go for quite a bit of money, though I have no idea if it's alright to sell one while it is still under contract or not. Some places let you trade in a 3GS as well, which would make the pain of the new device a little bit less.
Message 4 of 8 (951 Views)
Master

The OP could sell his iPhone and use those proceeds to offset the cost of the new phone.  At this point, we don't know if he'll qualify for an early upgrade, or if he'll have to spend the full retail price.  He'd have to send a text to *639# and tell us what the message says.

Message 5 of 8 (935 Views)
Professor

RBfKC10 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just sell that iPhone 3GS and buy the new iPhone? 3GS's go for quite a bit of money, though I have no idea if it's alright to sell one while it is still under contract or not. Some places let you trade in a 3GS as well, which would make the pain of the new device a little bit less.

Before doing this and if you don't mind losing your number, I would check to see if you have qualifying credit to add another line to your account, on it's own plan. This will get you the discounted pricing for that line. Then pay the $165 ETF on the 3GS line and then sell the 3GS phone. Not only would you recoup all the ETF money, you would have additional money that recoups against the already discounted price on the 4G, maybe even enough to cover the entire cost, dependent on which model you choose. Of course, you have to have the qualifying credit and be willing to change to a new number.

Message 6 of 8 (892 Views)
Teacher

Didn't the ETF go up recently? It's a good idea if it didn't, or if the ETF is grandfathered in I suppose. That would certainly save him a lot of money.
Message 7 of 8 (869 Views)
Professor

RBfKC10 wrote:
Didn't the ETF go up recently? It's a good idea if it didn't, or if the ETF is grandfathered in I suppose. That would certainly save him a lot of money.

Yes it is grandfathered. The new higher ETF is effective for activations beginning June 1st. I forgot, another downside would be with the data plan. The unlimited plan will be lost with the terminated line and the new line will require one of the new data plans.

Message 8 of 8 (782 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.