Helpful Links

I am worried about my wife who is in an airport in Chile...

Contributor

I am worried about my wife who is in an airport in Chile...

I am worried about my wife who is in an airport in Chile and is not able to use her cell phone because she did not shut it off and restart it because of the problems on the network. She has called me once on her European cell phone distraught but I not able to call her back. Everybody remembers the woman in California that died in police custody because she was upset, and could not get help.  I am a worried husband who can not reach his wife.  Think how much dependence we put on these cell phones.  
Up in arms!!!!!!!!!
Bill Nevitt
Message 1 of 5
Master

Re: I am worried about my wife who is in an airport in Chile...

if shutting it off and restarting it is all you need, she should have had it shut off when she got off the plane. Or, maybe I do not exactly understand what the problem is.

If it is the airport in Santiago Chile, I honestly would not worry too much. I've been in that airport a few times and never had a problem. As long as she's not off wandering in places she shouldn't, and then they prevent that. If you didn't know you were in South America, and the signs were not in Spanish, you might even think you were in an airport in the USA. It's a safe airport.

Hope all works out for you.

And yes, we do rely on our cell phones. If mine were to stop working, and I was in a foreign country, I'd be close to panic too.
Message 2 of 5
Master

Did all work out? did she make it home?
Message 3 of 5
Guru

To the man in Chili, I hope everything turned out. If the issue is still going on, have you tried a text message. They sometimes go through when voice calls do not, particularly on overcrowded networks. I presume she has one phone and by european mobile, you simply mean a 900/1800mhz handset, rather than an foreign sim card.

See my post on a backup sim:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=international&thread.id=7704

I usually also keep a cheap quadband with me. A two to three year old Motorola v500 series phone can be had for peanuts on ebay and is a stable performer. I keep it stored (with the a piece of electrical tape over the contacts in my suitcase for months on a time. If you need to make a call, peel off the tape and you are ready to go with a fully charged phone.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Professor

Re: I am worried about my wife who is in an airport in Chile...

Rebooting the phone may not be the only issue, unfortunately.  Other problems may be preventing her from getting onto the local network that only AT&T can fix.

Hope everything turned out ok.
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support