I am wanting advice on choosing a smart phone..I am currently trying a Cross Over.

I am wanting advice on choosing a smart phone..I am currently trying a Cross Over.

Hello:

I am wanting advice on choosing a smart phone..I am currently trying a Cross Over. I am getting older and find my self wanting a bigger screen. I find my self needing my Glasses all the time using he Cross Over.Also I notice it is slow with Data. I am thinking about the HTC Inspire (refurb) or the Samsung Captivate (refurb) Or the AT&T Impulse. Where I live I have 3 G , not 4 G. Not sure that really matters but I thought I would put it out there.Also I am trying to keep teh cost down. I know I have the 30 days to return it, I have had it like 3 days.Is retun and ordering a new one easy?. I hope I can get some feed back..

Thank you for your time:

Lar

Message 1 of 15 (437 Views)
Master

Re: I am wanting advice on choosing a smart phone..I am currently trying a Cross Over.

The Inspire and Captivate are good choices. I personally have a Captivate and I enjoy using it very much. I don't know if I would completely trust/rely on the Impulse 4G...with Huawei being such an unfamiliar brand, I'd be somewhat cautious...

If you want to go with an even larger screen size, take the Samsung Infuse, for example. It has a whopping 4.5" touchscreen that is similar to the Captivate.

Returing and ordering should be fairly easy. I am assuming that you ordered the phone online? You could swap the phones out at your nearest AT&T store/authorized retailer if that would be more of a convenience for you.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 15 (422 Views)

Re: I am wanting advice on choosing a smart phone..I am currently trying a Cross Over.

Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for our reply. I was reading your posts about the Captivate and the inspire. I have also read that they both have their problems.. They both seem to have a problem with freezing..? I was in a Walmart today and  I checked out their selections of At&t phones. The Captivate was plugged in and charged full but unresponsive. I am concerned about this? Also wondering if buying refurbished is a good idea or not?? 

Thanks so much:

Larry

Message 3 of 15 (414 Views)
Master

You are welcome. Glad to help you make a decision. My Captivate freezes occasionally after I have finished downloading applications from the Android Market and sometimes during the process. I blame the phone getting temporarily overloaded. As for the Inspire, I would say the same thing happens and for the same reasons, but I have read more posts about the Inspire freezing (check out the HTC section of the Forum) far more times than the Captivate has. I really like both phones and I thought that the Inspire would be my next, but the freezing issue worries me...

The demo models get more use and abuse, so maybe that's why the test Captivate in Walmart was not responding. Still, it should have been at least somewhat functional... As for purchasing refurbished, I would rather purchase new...refurbished phones only have a 90-day warranty compared to at least one year with a new phone. I have purchased a LG Neon refurb in the past, though, and I never had any problems with it. It is ultimately up to you whether you'd like to purchase brand new or slightly used before and returned.

Message 4 of 15 (409 Views)
Master

icurious1geo wrote:

Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for our reply. I was reading your posts about the Captivate and the inspire. I have also read that they both have their problems.. They both seem to have a problem with freezing..? I was in a Walmart today and  I checked out their selections of At&t phones. The Captivate was plugged in and charged full but unresponsive. I am concerned about this? Also wondering if buying refurbished is a good idea or not?? 

Thanks so much:

Larry

FWIW - I've purchased several refurbs from at&t, and all have been good phones - no issues and at least in my case, all looked brand new when I received them (still had the display protectors in place, etc.).

If you will purchase at&t's wireless insurance coverage (from Asurion) anyway - it may be worthwhile to consider a refurb (depending on the amount of the additional discount).  Refurbs are insurable just like a brand new device, so that negates the impact of only receiving a 90 day manufacturer's warranty.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 15 (401 Views)

Thanks so much for your advice, and time! I am still trying to decide, Lately I am considering going to a messaging phone. 

I really am not using web part of teh phone much. I am on the computer more..LOL Also the screen on phones screen size is small..

THanks again :

Larry

Message 6 of 15 (394 Views)

Thanks for your reply and time.. I thought the same thing, I would insure it.. I am glad to hear that the refurbs are in good condition..

Thanks again:

Larry

Message 7 of 15 (393 Views)
Professor

Both are good phones.  But if you want to keep cost down, you will need to have a data plan on a smartphone, which will be at least $15 a month.

Message 8 of 15 (385 Views)
Master

You're welcome.

FredW is right. If you have been considering moving to a messaging phone instead of a smartphone, by all means, go right ahead! It'll save you a lump sum of at least $15 per month. And that can pay off - $15 per month times 12 months = $180 in annual savings! There are some very nice feature phones out there as well.

Message 9 of 15 (377 Views)

Smiley Happy   Thanks!  

Larry

Message 10 of 15 (375 Views)
Master

You're welcome!

Message 11 of 15 (350 Views)

Hello Wild Banchi :

Thanks so much , I have seen your name on a lot of posts. So I think you might know a good bit of useful info. I was looking at the Messaging phones and there was not a lot of them that received great reviews. I was considering a Pantech Impact, but it does not seem to be well liked by most users.. Also the HTC Free Style was not as liked as I would have thought.. I wonder if people who got it were expecting too much, Smart phone ish...? I have a T mobile Samsung smiley I use but the keys are too small for my old eyes..LOL  I am also concerned if I would like a touch screen key board only?? Most of the time on the cross over I use the real keyboard.. 

Have you ever dealt with returning / exchanging a phone with At&t? I hope they do not charge me for restocking??

Thanks for all your time!! 

Larry Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 15 (348 Views)
Master

I would not consider any Pantech phone to be reliable, personally. They have not fared well and have not lasted very long according to the experiences on the Pantech Forum here. I personally was considering the HTC Freestlye as my next phone as it looks and probably operates somewhat like a smartphone, but I have also read so many problems with it that it has warned me off. I've read everything from text message duplicates to random shutdowns of the phone regarding the Freestlye. Despite these flaws, I personally would still give the Freestyle a try on my own accord if I could, just to see if it in fact did have these problems and if it would be deemed reliable for the next upcoming two years. Wouldn't want a phone that would be a royal pain for the next two years of a contract agreement.

I'd prefer touchscreen keyboards over physical slide-out ones any day. My first AT&T phone was an LG Neon with a physical slide-out QWERTY. While I was somewhat quick at typing on my Neon, when I upgraded to a Samsung Mythic feature phone, (one I would totally recommend) I was hooked from the start due to the touchscreen keyboard. I now use them on my Android phone and iPod Touch, and for me, there shall be no looking back. Smiley Happy

I have never been through the return/exchange process, but I do know that you will be charged a $35 restocking fee for the return of the Crossover, unfortunately.

And thank you for the recognition - with over 4,000 posts, (wow!) I would expect to see my screen name on at least one. Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 15 (344 Views)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:

I have never been through the return/exchange process, but I do know that you will be charged a $35 restocking fee for the return of the Crossover, unfortunately.

If you bought it in a store you will have to pay a restocking fee.  However, if you ordered it online you can return it to a store (I prefer corporate stores rather than a reseller) and should not have to pay a restocking fee. 

We have the HTC Inspire (3) and have found it to be a very nice phone.  Mine has frozen a couple of times (seems to happen after I've had the alarm set) but my husband and son neither one have had any problems with their phones freezing.  We're all happy with it. 

Message 14 of 15 (331 Views)
Highlighted

LaLa Thank you for your info.. I appreciate it..I am still considering the HTC Freestyle, non smart phone too. I am glad to hear that you have 3 HTC inspires and are having no problems. It is also one I am considering . A refurb though.To keep cost low..LOL

Thanks again :

Larry

Message 15 of 15 (326 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.