Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 19, 2011
2:52:49 PM
I FOUND AN IPHONE
Edited by pamelaz on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:15:38 PM

...and need to know how to report it.

Just in case the owner is looking at this forum I provide the following info:

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Please provide description of phone and contact information in your email. 

...and need to know how to report it.

Just in case the owner is looking at this forum I provide the following info:

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Please provide description of phone and contact information in your email. 

I FOUND AN IPHONE

[ Edited ]
20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 3:12:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The private information will probably be removed by a moderator.  When I found a phone in the past, I called the service provider for the phone and gave them the phone number of the phone that I found.  They contacted the owner, the owner contacted me, we arranged a meeting and I gave the phone back to him.

The private information will probably be removed by a moderator.  When I found a phone in the past, I called the service provider for the phone and gave them the phone number of the phone that I found.  They contacted the owner, the owner contacted me, we arranged a meeting and I gave the phone back to him.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I FOUND AN IPHONE

2 of 21 (2,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 3:17:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
So are you suggesting that I just call AT&T customer service? I wouldn't be able to provide a number as the phone is a brick, but can obviously provide other identifying info. Problem is, that after scouring this and many other forums I now have impression that they won't be much help. Still I'm willing to give it a try. I have registered the phone at a lost phone site, but don't have much hope for that.

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll give it a shot.
So are you suggesting that I just call AT&T customer service? I wouldn't be able to provide a number as the phone is a brick, but can obviously provide other identifying info. Problem is, that after scouring this and many other forums I now have impression that they won't be much help. Still I'm willing to give it a try. I have registered the phone at a lost phone site, but don't have much hope for that.

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll give it a shot.

3 of 21 (2,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 3:24:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

Contact your local law enforcement and let them know you found the device.  If the owner has reported it lost/stolen, they can handle reuniting the two.  Otherwise, after a period of time it becomes yours... at least that's my understanding of how it works in most jurisdictions.

You could also take it to an AT&T corporate store, assuming it's an AT&T device, and let them know you found it and simply want to return the device to it's owner.  They will not give you the personal contact information, but should be able to contact the owner on your behalf and let them know the device has been found.

Contact your local law enforcement and let them know you found the device.  If the owner has reported it lost/stolen, they can handle reuniting the two.  Otherwise, after a period of time it becomes yours... at least that's my understanding of how it works in most jurisdictions.

You could also take it to an AT&T corporate store, assuming it's an AT&T device, and let them know you found it and simply want to return the device to it's owner.  They will not give you the personal contact information, but should be able to contact the owner on your behalf and let them know the device has been found.

4 of 21 (2,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 4:35:16 PM
(0)
Professor
If you can't get the phone number, you might check the SIM card number. AT&T may be able to use that information to find the owner.
If you can't get the phone number, you might check the SIM card number. AT&T may be able to use that information to find the owner.

5 of 21 (2,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 4:50:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
thanks for the suggestions - I tried the local PD route with no result (phone hasn't been reported as stolen). I suppose I could call the local ATT store, provide them with the serial and IMEI #s and my contact info & maybe they'll contact the owner for me. It shouldn't be this difficult to do the right thing...
thanks for the suggestions - I tried the local PD route with no result (phone hasn't been reported as stolen). I suppose I could call the local ATT store, provide them with the serial and IMEI #s and my contact info & maybe they'll contact the owner for me. It shouldn't be this difficult to do the right thing...

6 of 21 (2,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 4:51:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'll definitely give that a try...thanks
I'll definitely give that a try...thanks

7 of 21 (2,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 7:15:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Since you have the IMEI, that will probably work, too.  The phone was still charged when I found it.  I either went through the phone's menu or called my phone from that phone to see what came up in the caller ID.

My return wasn't difficult, as it was one of my neighbors that lost the phone.  I kind of figured that since I found it in the grass outside of my building.

Since you have the IMEI, that will probably work, too.  The phone was still charged when I found it.  I either went through the phone's menu or called my phone from that phone to see what came up in the caller ID.

My return wasn't difficult, as it was one of my neighbors that lost the phone.  I kind of figured that since I found it in the grass outside of my building.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 21 (2,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 10:07:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
It is so nice (and rare) to see someone doing the right thing. So many people would have just taken that phone and kept it. I hope you find the owner! Smiley Happy
It is so nice (and rare) to see someone doing the right thing. So many people would have just taken that phone and kept it. I hope you find the owner! Smiley Happy

9 of 21 (2,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 1:44:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
Unfortunately I agree with you - there is a serious character deficiency and lack of integrity in a large part of today's society. When my 2 young men were boys, I frequently felt like I was losing the battle against popular culture. I came to learn that the most successful weapon in my arsenal was to lead by example; I chose to keep it simple - adopt and live by the Golden Rule. If I were to lose such a valuable phone (or any item of value) I would certainly hope that whoever found it would do the same...
Unfortunately I agree with you - there is a serious character deficiency and lack of integrity in a large part of today's society. When my 2 young men were boys, I frequently felt like I was losing the battle against popular culture. I came to learn that the most successful weapon in my arsenal was to lead by example; I chose to keep it simple - adopt and live by the Golden Rule. If I were to lose such a valuable phone (or any item of value) I would certainly hope that whoever found it would do the same...

10 of 21 (2,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 8:03:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

I lost my iphone on Friday night in a NYC restaurant.  Where did you find it?

I lost my iphone on Friday night in a NYC restaurant.  Where did you find it?

11 of 21 (2,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 8:56:47 AM
(0)
Guru
He's not going to tell you where he found it. Why don't you send him a PM with where you lost it and describe it to him.
He's not going to tell you where he found it. Why don't you send him a PM with where you lost it and describe it to him.

12 of 21 (2,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 10:04:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Of course, thanks

Of course, thanks

13 of 21 (2,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 10:24:37 AM
(0)
Guru
Nice
Nice

14 of 21 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 10:49:15 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Nov 20, 2011 at 10:55:12 AM

You'd have more success at getting AT&T to add that lost iPhone to your own account than you would in getting them to help you return it to its rightful owner...because as people like to point out quite often, AT&T is not in the business of tracking down lost or stolen phones.

You'd have more success at getting AT&T to add that lost iPhone to your own account than you would in getting them to help you return it to its rightful owner...because as people like to point out quite often, AT&T is not in the business of tracking down lost or stolen phones.

[ Edited ]
15 of 21 (2,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 4:17:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

It's true and understandable but would create incredible customer loyalty if At&t , apple and other carriors would jump in to  help out us pitiful cell phone losey people. Mia culpa definatelyly, but if I find someome's phone I try hard to get it back to them.

Love to all,

Me

It's true and understandable but would create incredible customer loyalty if At&t , apple and other carriors would jump in to  help out us pitiful cell phone losey people. Mia culpa definatelyly, but if I find someome's phone I try hard to get it back to them.

Love to all,

Me

16 of 21 (2,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 10:22:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

Although I won't tell you exactly where I found it, I will say that it was nowhere near NYC - in fact, the location is all the way across the country. So sorry. Woman Sad Hope you locate yours soon. 

Oh, and I'm a she, not a he.

Although I won't tell you exactly where I found it, I will say that it was nowhere near NYC - in fact, the location is all the way across the country. So sorry. Woman Sad Hope you locate yours soon. 

17 of 21 (1,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 5:23:42 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

KVittorio wrote:

Hi there - thanks for doing the right thing here, very refreshing to see! Smiley Very Happy

If you're near an AT&T retail store, the best option is to take it in there. If you're not (or that's just not an option), please send me a private message with your name, phone number and the best time to contact you and we'll give you a call to help out. 

Depending on where you found it, have you called the stores/restaurants in the area to see if anyone has come in/called looking for it?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

KVittorio wrote:

Hi there - thanks for doing the right thing here, very refreshing to see! Smiley Very Happy

If you're near an AT&T retail store, the best option is to take it in there. If you're not (or that's just not an option), please send me a private message with your name, phone number and the best time to contact you and we'll give you a call to help out. 

Depending on where you found it, have you called the stores/restaurants in the area to see if anyone has come in/called looking for it?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

18 of 21 (1,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 1:36:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're a great person and you are doing the right thing. I hope your quest at finding the owner is a success. Keep trying.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

You're a great person and you are doing the right thing. I hope your quest at finding the owner is a success. Keep trying.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

19 of 21 (1,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 5:53:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wild Banchi wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement...I really needed it.  After two weeks of searching without even so much as the tiniest bit of some kind of lead, I've started to feel a bit discouraged. Its got me wondering if the owner of this iPhone is searching for it as hard as I'm looking for them; if so, you'd think we'd have found each other by now. Which leads me to wonder if I'm wasting my time looking for an owner who couldn't care less because they've already replaced it like it was no more valuable than a tube of ChapStick. Woman Mad

I've now exhausted all known (to me) and suggested methods - all leading to a brick wall. In response to the above reply from Community Manager Jamilah I've sent her a pm in hopes that she is able to provide the assistance I haven't been able to find up to this point so far. 

Wild Banchi wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement...I really needed it.  After two weeks of searching without even so much as the tiniest bit of some kind of lead, I've started to feel a bit discouraged. Its got me wondering if the owner of this iPhone is searching for it as hard as I'm looking for them; if so, you'd think we'd have found each other by now. Which leads me to wonder if I'm wasting my time looking for an owner who couldn't care less because they've already replaced it like it was no more valuable than a tube of ChapStick. Woman Mad

I've now exhausted all known (to me) and suggested methods - all leading to a brick wall. In response to the above reply from Community Manager Jamilah I've sent her a pm in hopes that she is able to provide the assistance I haven't been able to find up to this point so far. 

20 of 21 (1,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 6:57:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome. Smiley Happy

You may be right, but I wouldn't give up quite yet. Give it another week or two, and see if anything appears, then. If you find no interest, you might as well just keep the phone for yourself, give it as a gift, or sell it for profit.

Once again, good luck!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

You may be right, but I wouldn't give up quite yet. Give it another week or two, and see if anything appears, then. If you find no interest, you might as well just keep the phone for yourself, give it as a gift, or sell it for profit.

Once again, good luck!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

21 of 21 (1,800 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments