Helpful Links

I FOUND AN IPHONE

Tutor

I FOUND AN IPHONE

...and need to know how to report it.

Just in case the owner is looking at this forum I provide the following info:

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Please provide description of phone and contact information in your email. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 21
Professor

Re: I FOUND AN IPHONE

The private information will probably be removed by a moderator.  When I found a phone in the past, I called the service provider for the phone and gave them the phone number of the phone that I found.  They contacted the owner, the owner contacted me, we arranged a meeting and I gave the phone back to him.

Message 2 of 21
Tutor

So are you suggesting that I just call AT&T customer service? I wouldn't be able to provide a number as the phone is a brick, but can obviously provide other identifying info. Problem is, that after scouring this and many other forums I now have impression that they won't be much help. Still I'm willing to give it a try. I have registered the phone at a lost phone site, but don't have much hope for that.

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll give it a shot.
Message 3 of 21
Scholar

Contact your local law enforcement and let them know you found the device.  If the owner has reported it lost/stolen, they can handle reuniting the two.  Otherwise, after a period of time it becomes yours... at least that's my understanding of how it works in most jurisdictions.

You could also take it to an AT&T corporate store, assuming it's an AT&T device, and let them know you found it and simply want to return the device to it's owner.  They will not give you the personal contact information, but should be able to contact the owner on your behalf and let them know the device has been found.

Message 4 of 21
Professor

If you can't get the phone number, you might check the SIM card number. AT&T may be able to use that information to find the owner.
Message 5 of 21
Tutor

thanks for the suggestions - I tried the local PD route with no result (phone hasn't been reported as stolen). I suppose I could call the local ATT store, provide them with the serial and IMEI #s and my contact info & maybe they'll contact the owner for me. It shouldn't be this difficult to do the right thing...
Message 6 of 21
Tutor

I'll definitely give that a try...thanks
Message 7 of 21
Professor

Since you have the IMEI, that will probably work, too.  The phone was still charged when I found it.  I either went through the phone's menu or called my phone from that phone to see what came up in the caller ID.

My return wasn't difficult, as it was one of my neighbors that lost the phone.  I kind of figured that since I found it in the grass outside of my building.

Message 8 of 21
Scholar

It is so nice (and rare) to see someone doing the right thing. So many people would have just taken that phone and kept it. I hope you find the owner! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 21
Tutor

Unfortunately I agree with you - there is a serious character deficiency and lack of integrity in a large part of today's society. When my 2 young men were boys, I frequently felt like I was losing the battle against popular culture. I came to learn that the most successful weapon in my arsenal was to lead by example; I chose to keep it simple - adopt and live by the Golden Rule. If I were to lose such a valuable phone (or any item of value) I would certainly hope that whoever found it would do the same...
Message 10 of 21
Contributor

I lost my iphone on Friday night in a NYC restaurant.  Where did you find it?

Message 11 of 21
Guru

He's not going to tell you where he found it. Why don't you send him a PM with where you lost it and describe it to him.
Message 12 of 21
Contributor

Of course, thanks

Message 13 of 21

Nice
Message 14 of 21
Guru

You'd have more success at getting AT&T to add that lost iPhone to your own account than you would in getting them to help you return it to its rightful owner...because as people like to point out quite often, AT&T is not in the business of tracking down lost or stolen phones.

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support