Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2010
4:11:53 PM
Huge use of Data in ONE day!
Edited by MANontheMOON on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:13:02 PM

Look at the jump of data in less than ONE day!

Why is it like this? Any idea how this happened? I used wifi almost alll day...

Look at the jump of data in less than ONE day!

Why is it like this? Any idea how this happened? I used wifi almost alll day...

Huge use of Data in ONE day!

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 4:13:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

Maybe because of your jailbroken apps?  I know it's jailbroken because of the ATT winterboard logoSmiley Happy

Maybe because of your jailbroken apps?  I know it's jailbroken because of the ATT winterboard logoSmiley Happy

Re: Huge use of Data in ONE day!

2 of 15 (1,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 4:15:57 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:17:31 PM

Variance in non-WiFi charges can run up:

• VoiceMail
  • SMS and MMS
  • Cellular diagnostic data
  • Various cellular only features such as caller-ID search in contacts
If you lose your WiFi connection which sometimes can happen, it'll go cellular 3G.

Not sure if JB iPhones can run up non-WiFi data though but it's possible. Maybe some hidden coding is introduced like some of Cydia's developers added "Don't use WiFi for this bit".

• VoiceMail
  • SMS and MMS
If you lose your WiFi connection which sometimes can happen, it'll go cellular 3G.

Not sure if JB iPhones can run up non-WiFi data though but it's possible. Maybe some hidden coding is introduced like some of Cydia's developers added "Don't use WiFi for this bit".

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (1,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 4:16:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

Bloodkip wrote:

That sounds plausible enough except I don't have many jailbroken apps and I always close my open apps on a regular basis...

Bloodkip wrote:

That sounds plausible enough except I don't have many jailbroken apps and I always close my open apps on a regular basis...

4 of 15 (1,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 4:19:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

josephz2va wrote:

• VoiceMail
  • SMS and MMS

In one day though? It's been jailbroken for a while and it hasnt jumped like this before...

josephz2va wrote:

• VoiceMail
  • SMS and MMS

In one day though? It's been jailbroken for a while and it hasnt jumped like this before...

5 of 15 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 4:30:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

Maybe for a day.  Unjailbreak your phone and see if the data usage goes up or down.

Maybe for a day.  Unjailbreak your phone and see if the data usage goes up or down.

6 of 15 (1,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 5:43:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

200MB isn't HUGE. It's easy to burn in specific apps. Maps. YouTube. Even some web sites can do it with ease.

A site without a bunch of javascript might be 10-20KB, a site with a bunch of media could be a MB or more.

I think most iPhone users really should be on 2GB plans. 200MB should be fine for low-end flip phones, but it's just not even close for an iPhone.

FYI for you, you might want to bump up to the 2GB plan for this billing cycle retroactive to the beginning of the cycle. Call in and talk to someone. It's going to be cheaper than paying the overage on the wimpy 200MB plan.

200MB isn't HUGE. It's easy to burn in specific apps. Maps. YouTube. Even some web sites can do it with ease.

A site without a bunch of javascript might be 10-20KB, a site with a bunch of media could be a MB or more.

I think most iPhone users really should be on 2GB plans. 200MB should be fine for low-end flip phones, but it's just not even close for an iPhone.

FYI for you, you might want to bump up to the 2GB plan for this billing cycle retroactive to the beginning of the cycle. Call in and talk to someone. It's going to be cheaper than paying the overage on the wimpy 200MB plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 15 (1,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2010 10:14:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

YES ATT AND APPLE ARE IN TOGETHER TO STOP JAILBREAKING

YES ATT AND APPLE ARE IN TOGETHER TO STOP JAILBREAKING

-SaMmY

8 of 15 (1,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 3:26:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

I had the same thing happen to me.....att site jumped up to 130mb but my phone only says 30mb.  The most I've used in a month was 180. This happened in two days right after the new billing cycle. Somethings going on.......

I had the same thing happen to me.....att site jumped up to 130mb but my phone only says 30mb.  The most I've used in a month was 180. This happened in two days right after the new billing cycle. Somethings going on.......

9 of 15 (1,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 5:48:52 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Aug 16, 2010 at 5:53:25 AM

MANontheMOON wrote:

Believe me when I say you're not alone in this. "Phantom Data Usage" is also common with the cellular features I've mentioned and it would be on any phone you purchase whether iPhone or BB or Android or Windows Mobile or WebOS. It submits data pings overnight, you use certain features like Exchange (whether push or fetch hourly), you keep apps on in the background and FAS, Background Location, and File Transfer Services like Pandora Radio or AT&T Radio will continue to mount your data.

MANontheMOON wrote:

Believe me when I say you're not alone in this. "Phantom Data Usage" is also common with the cellular features I've mentioned and it would be on any phone you purchase whether iPhone or BB or Android or Windows Mobile or WebOS. It submits data pings overnight, you use certain features like Exchange (whether push or fetch hourly), you keep apps on in the background and FAS, Background Location, and File Transfer Services like Pandora Radio or AT&T Radio will continue to mount your data.

[ Edited ]
10 of 15 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 6:04:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If your phone and the website disagree, the only possible way that can happen is if you reset your phone counter too soon in a billing cycle.

Nothing is going on except people are using data, and now it matters how much they use so they are paying attention.

If your phone and the website disagree, the only possible way that can happen is if you reset your phone counter too soon in a billing cycle.

Nothing is going on except people are using data, and now it matters how much they use so they are paying attention.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 15 (913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 6:12:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

I reset my phone on the day the new billing cycle started.  THe next two days I accumulated 130mb of usage and my phone showed 32mb.  Both appeared at 2 am.  Nothing was running except email and I was within wifi range.   I normally use 170mb a month.  The only solution from the ATT rep was to move up to the next level for this month... but then said he would credit any overages when I turned that down.  Looking over my previous years usage I never went over 200mb..... but when this new plan went into effect my data mysteriously increases.

I reset my phone on the day the new billing cycle started.  THe next two days I accumulated 130mb of usage and my phone showed 32mb.  Both appeared at 2 am.  Nothing was running except email and I was within wifi range.   I normally use 170mb a month.  The only solution from the ATT rep was to move up to the next level for this month... but then said he would credit any overages when I turned that down.  Looking over my previous years usage I never went over 200mb..... but when this new plan went into effect my data mysteriously increases.

12 of 15 (907 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 10:11:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Weird. I've never seen a report of mismatched data. My guess is your "extra" 100MB happened before you reset the data counter, but after the billing cycle started.

Weird. I've never seen a report of mismatched data. My guess is your "extra" 100MB happened before you reset the data counter, but after the billing cycle started.

13 of 15 (873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 11:23:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

I have seen reports of it before, and now I have seen it myself.  For this billing cycle, I reset my data counters at the beginning of the cycle, and my phone has been keeping pace with the OLAM site for my data usage,  until more recently.  I checked my usage on Sunday and my phone reported about 50 MB less usage than the OLAM site.  I just re-checked it again now, and my phone is reporting 109MB Received + 69.6MB Sent (178.6MB total).  I checked the OLAM site again, and it is reporting 293MB used, so still about 115MB more usage than my phone.

In addition, I know I used my iPhone quite a bit while on the road on Saturday, yet the only data usage reported for the day on the 14th was at 1:xx AM, with the next entry at 1:xx AM on the 15th.  It seems fairly clear to me that they ~43MB usage reported at 1:xx AM on the 15th is the summary of my total usage for the day on the 14th.  That day I spent most of my day in southern WI, and I live in northern IL, so I suspect that the "roll-up" of usage is due to the fact that I was off my home network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

johninsj wrote:

I have seen reports of it before, and now I have seen it myself.  For this billing cycle, I reset my data counters at the beginning of the cycle, and my phone has been keeping pace with the OLAM site for my data usage,  until more recently.  I checked my usage on Sunday and my phone reported about 50 MB less usage than the OLAM site.  I just re-checked it again now, and my phone is reporting 109MB Received + 69.6MB Sent (178.6MB total).  I checked the OLAM site again, and it is reporting 293MB used, so still about 115MB more usage than my phone.

In addition, I know I used my iPhone quite a bit while on the road on Saturday, yet the only data usage reported for the day on the 14th was at 1:xx AM, with the next entry at 1:xx AM on the 15th.  It seems fairly clear to me that they ~43MB usage reported at 1:xx AM on the 15th is the summary of my total usage for the day on the 14th.  That day I spent most of my day in southern WI, and I live in northern IL, so I suspect that the "roll-up" of usage is due to the fact that I was off my home network.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

14 of 15 (851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 6:21:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Interesting... maybe roaming data is not getting logged on the phone?

Interesting... maybe roaming data is not getting logged on the phone?

15 of 15 (771 Views)