Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 1, 2010
12:18:21 PM
How true is this statement by a ATT rep?

I was just told that the reason for so many problems with the reception, and calls dropped on the ihpone 3g is because of the switch over to the 4G network.

Is this true?

I have noticed that since the new system went into affect is when we started having problems with our phones.

I was just told that the reason for so many problems with the reception, and calls dropped on the ihpone 3g is because of the switch over to the 4G network.

Is this true?

I have noticed that since the new system went into affect is when we started having problems with our phones.

How true is this statement by a ATT rep?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 12:30:57 PM
(0)
Professor

Cookie4253 wrote:

Is this true?

It's a load of horse manure.

AT&T does not have a 4G network.  They may be in the process of getting the hardware in place to turn on their 4G network, but they do not currently have a 4G network for customers.  I make this caveat because I feel fairly certain they are testing 4G in some markets with limited trials.

Cookie4253 wrote:

Is this true?

It's a load of horse manure.

AT&T does not have a 4G network.  They may be in the process of getting the hardware in place to turn on their 4G network, but they do not currently have a 4G network for customers.  I make this caveat because I feel fairly certain they are testing 4G in some markets with limited trials.

Re: How true is this statement by a ATT rep?

2 of 15 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 1:27:32 PM
(0)
Professor

Sounds like the rep has no idea whats going on. Sorry about the coverage.

Sounds like the rep has no idea whats going on. Sorry about the coverage.

3 of 15 (1,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 3:37:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

And when at&t gets the 4G network, is the iPhone 4 compatible?

And when at&t gets the 4G network, is the iPhone 4 compatible?

Vickie 12/04/10 iPhone 4 Former BlackBerry, Windows, Palm Smart Phone User

4 of 15 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 4:03:27 PM
(0)
Professor
No. The iPhone 4 is 3G only. The "4" in the name had nothing to do with a 4G network.
No. The iPhone 4 is 3G only. The "4" in the name had nothing to do with a 4G network.

5 of 15 (1,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 4:18:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

That is what I thought.  Wonder when at&t will have their new network ready?  I am not sure I can wait for the iPhone 4G or iPhone 5.

That is what I thought.  Wonder when at&t will have their new network ready?  I am not sure I can wait for the iPhone 4G or iPhone 5.

6 of 15 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 4:19:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by whozethere on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:20:01 PM

Re: re: How true is this statement by a ATT rep?

[ Edited ]
7 of 15 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 4:42:49 PM
(0)
Professor

whozethere wrote:

Why wait?  Only Sprint and MetroPCS currently have live 4G networks.  Verizon's is slated to go live on the 5th is 30 something markets, but no phones will be available for their network until after the 1st of the year.

It will be at least a year before AT&T takes their 4G network live, and at least 2 before there is anything resembling today's 3G coverage on a 4G network.  A 4G device and network really should not be a factor in your decision to upgrade phones at this time.

I highly doubt the iPhone5 (or whatever they decide to call it) will have an LTE (4G) radio.  The iPhone might get an LTE radio around it's 7th generation.

whozethere wrote:

Why wait?  Only Sprint and MetroPCS currently have live 4G networks.  Verizon's is slated to go live on the 5th is 30 something markets, but no phones will be available for their network until after the 1st of the year.

It will be at least a year before AT&T takes their 4G network live, and at least 2 before there is anything resembling today's 3G coverage on a 4G network.  A 4G device and network really should not be a factor in your decision to upgrade phones at this time.

I highly doubt the iPhone5 (or whatever they decide to call it) will have an LTE (4G) radio.  The iPhone might get an LTE radio around it's 7th generation.

8 of 15 (1,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 4:47:59 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by whozethere on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:48:38 PM

Thanks, because my BlackBerry is not the phone it was before 5.0 OS.  (I strongly suspect at&t went too far with the bloatware since it worked better prior to the update.)  I had to remove almost half the apps & the battery dies in no time.  I have always had trouble with the calendar sync.  It constantly dumps appointments.  It can really create problems at work.

Thanks, because my BlackBerry is not the phone it was before 5.0 OS.  (I strongly suspect at&t went too far with the bloatware since it worked better prior to the update.)  I had to remove almost half the apps & the battery dies in no time.  I have always had trouble with the calendar sync.  It constantly dumps appointments.  It can really create problems at work.

[ Edited ]
9 of 15 (1,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 5:58:06 PM
(0)
Master

satchev wrote:

whozethere wrote:

Technically, no one has a true 4G network.  The standards board,ITU, has determined that WIMAX mobile and LTE in their current versions do not meet the definition of what is 4G.  That means Sprint and MetroPCS are using marketing hype.

As for when we may see an iPhone with LTE, my guess is in two years once the initial kinks are worked out by others iPhone version 6.  Also of note is a comment by Nokia that iOS 4.2.1 has some new network software that reduces the interaction with the system and are seeing improved battery life and if ATT has implemented support for this technology, we should see that benefit in everyday life.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

satchev wrote:

whozethere wrote:

Technically, no one has a true 4G network.  The standards board,ITU, has determined that WIMAX mobile and LTE in their current versions do not meet the definition of what is 4G.  That means Sprint and MetroPCS are using marketing hype.

As for when we may see an iPhone with LTE, my guess is in two years once the initial kinks are worked out by others iPhone version 6.  Also of note is a comment by Nokia that iOS 4.2.1 has some new network software that reduces the interaction with the system and are seeing improved battery life and if ATT has implemented support for this technology, we should see that benefit in everyday life.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 15 (1,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

11 of 15 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 8:20:10 AM
(0)
Professor

I think the speeds on 3G are acceptable, I'm just looking forward to voice over LTE, I think its a big jump in technology when we get rid of the PSTN and it all goes data.

I think the speeds on 3G are acceptable, I'm just looking forward to voice over LTE, I think its a big jump in technology when we get rid of the PSTN and it all goes data.

12 of 15 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 1:51:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

satchev wrote:

whozethere wrote:

You're absolutely right. 4G soon on AT&T? Not likely at all. Before they officially start rolling out 4G service and speeds, they greatly need to improve their already existing 3G network, still. There are many places in the United Sates where there there is little to no 3G service. Before there's 4G, 3G must be available in over eh...at least 75% of the country.

Take a look at the Network Coverage board. Browse over at all the complaints about no 3G service in certain towns and cities across the U.S.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

satchev wrote:

whozethere wrote:

You're absolutely right. 4G soon on AT&T? Not likely at all. Before they officially start rolling out 4G service and speeds, they greatly need to improve their already existing 3G network, still. There are many places in the United Sates where there there is little to no 3G service. Before there's 4G, 3G must be available in over eh...at least 75% of the country.

Take a look at the Network Coverage board. Browse over at all the complaints about no 3G service in certain towns and cities across the U.S.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 15 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 12:42:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, I wish I would have been there to call out that fool in public.

Wow, I wish I would have been there to call out that fool in public.

14 of 15 (448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 1:05:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

4G - who cares? So we can burn thru 2GB caps in 20 minutes? Wow, that's awesome!

Unless there was an anouncement about 4G raising caps that I missed, I could care less. 3G is plenty fast for push email, facebook, and light web surfing. Everything else has to happen over wifi anyway.

4G - who cares? So we can burn thru 2GB caps in 20 minutes? Wow, that's awesome!

Unless there was an anouncement about 4G raising caps that I missed, I could care less. 3G is plenty fast for push email, facebook, and light web surfing. Everything else has to happen over wifi anyway.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 15 (439 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments