Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 19, 2010
5:23:32 AM
View profile
How to turn off 3G on the Captivate

I've been searching and can't find a way to toggle 3G off on the Captivate.

Not only does 3G drain the battery where I am, I've found that the Edge network is more reliable for calls and text messages. I always kept 3G off on my iphone unless I needed to transfer some data where a wi-fi connection wasn't.

Thanks!

56 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(56)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 11:22:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does anyone know if you can switch back & forth from 3G to 2G if you "root" or jailbreak the Captivate? I know I could get a better signal on 3G with AT&T 3G Microcell, but I really don't want to pay $150 plus $20 extra per month to get a signal I should be getting anywa, or that I don't have the option to change to Edge because AT&T wants to promote Microcell. I am with the person who said they may change if AT&T doesn't stop wtih their selling scams. I like the phone but I have more options with different carriers.

Does anyone know if you can switch back & forth from 3G to 2G if you "root" or jailbreak the Captivate? I know I could get a better signal on 3G with AT&T 3G Microcell, but I really don't want to pay $150 plus $20 extra per month to get a signal I should be getting anywa, or that I don't have the option to change to Edge because AT&T wants to promote Microcell. I am with the person who said they may change if AT&T doesn't stop wtih their selling scams. I like the phone but I have more options with different carriers.

Re: How to turn off 3G on the Captivate

31 of 57 (13,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 11:44:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Do not do Step 5! You will not be able to send texts if you change the SMSC number. I did this and now i am stuck with not being able to send a text! I am trying to find a solution so if anyone has one, PLEASE let me know how you solved it!

Do not do Step 5! You will not be able to send texts if you change the SMSC number. I did this and now i am stuck with not being able to send a text! I am trying to find a solution so if anyone has one, PLEASE let me know how you solved it!

32 of 57 (13,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 9:58:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

If you are using Samsung captivate, the best way to turn off 3G/GPRS/HSPDA network is by using an app called "APNdroid". By activating this app, you can turn off 3G. if you want to use 3G, just turn off the app. As simple as this. 

If you are using Samsung captivate, the best way to turn off 3G/GPRS/HSPDA network is by using an app called "APNdroid". By activating this app, you can turn off 3G. if you want to use 3G, just turn off the app. As simple as this. 

33 of 57 (13,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 10:01:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

Apart from the above, I would also suggest you to do the following --

Settings --> Wireless and Network -->Wi-fi settings --> Advanced (in menu) --> wifi sleep policy --> and choose Never. 

This is important because the cell phone, downloads lot of info when not in use.

Also, in Accounts and Sync, you can deactivate background syncing, though you may not be completely able to deactivate, but some thing is better

Apart from the above, I would also suggest you to do the following --

Settings --> Wireless and Network -->Wi-fi settings --> Advanced (in menu) --> wifi sleep policy --> and choose Never. 

This is important because the cell phone, downloads lot of info when not in use.

Also, in Accounts and Sync, you can deactivate background syncing, though you may not be completely able to deactivate, but some thing is better

34 of 57 (13,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 10:23:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

alchemist1 wrote:

That doesn't do what we're asking. We want it to leave the Edge network on for phone calls and data. This turns it off for all.

alchemist1 wrote:

That doesn't do what we're asking. We want it to leave the Edge network on for phone calls and data. This turns it off for all.

35 of 57 (13,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 10:29:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

know1 wrote:

alchemist1 wrote:

oops, my mistake. I saw lot of forums posting the same questions, as most of the time they don't want to use internet on cellphone, but it still draws the data. So, I assumed its the same and posted. APNdroid removes everything, but can be deactivated by click of a button.

know1 wrote:

alchemist1 wrote:

oops, my mistake. I saw lot of forums posting the same questions, as most of the time they don't want to use internet on cellphone, but it still draws the data. So, I assumed its the same and posted. APNdroid removes everything, but can be deactivated by click of a button.

36 of 57 (13,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2010 10:45:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I can't believe AT&T doesn't give us a choice on what network to use.  Their crappy algorithm does a terrible job sitting there waffling between 4 bars of edge and 1/2 a bar of 3g and then choosing 3G over the better legacy network. 

3G doesn't go through building walls as well as edge

3G drains the battery significantly faster then edge

They keep harping on speed like thats all we do is surf the internet on our phones non-stop.

The Quality of Service for PHONE/Text/Email should be a priority and internet should be on the back burner. Its a telephone remember? Id rather be on a slow legacy network with a high QOS then be on some hyped up 3G network with a horrible QOS. I pay for the effin service so let me choose what network to use! Even the stupid IPhone and Blackberry Bold can choose its networks why not android? They better fix it soon or I am returning this phone in 25 days and doing an ETF. 

Verizon here I come..... 

AT&T Customer since 1991. 

I can't believe AT&T doesn't give us a choice on what network to use.  Their crappy algorithm does a terrible job sitting there waffling between 4 bars of edge and 1/2 a bar of 3g and then choosing 3G over the better legacy network. 

3G doesn't go through building walls as well as edge

3G drains the battery significantly faster then edge

They keep harping on speed like thats all we do is surf the internet on our phones non-stop.

The Quality of Service for PHONE/Text/Email should be a priority and internet should be on the back burner. Its a telephone remember? Id rather be on a slow legacy network with a high QOS then be on some hyped up 3G network with a horrible QOS. I pay for the effin service so let me choose what network to use! Even the stupid IPhone and Blackberry Bold can choose its networks why not android? They better fix it soon or I am returning this phone in 25 days and doing an ETF. 

Verizon here I come..... 

AT&T Customer since 1991. 

37 of 57 (12,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 1:44:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

After all the digging and searching around, I found two apps that work perfectly on Samsung Captivate for toggling mobile data (3G)

- Juicedefender (it has a widget you can use to toggle 3G quickly)

- SMODA Widget (It doesnt have too many 5 star ratings but works fine on my samsung captivate).

My phone is rooted but I believe it is not a requirement of either of the above apps. Hope this info is useful for other captivate owners.

After all the digging and searching around, I found two apps that work perfectly on Samsung Captivate for toggling mobile data (3G)

- SMODA Widget (It doesnt have too many 5 star ratings but works fine on my samsung captivate).

My phone is rooted but I believe it is not a requirement of either of the above apps. Hope this info is useful for other captivate owners.

38 of 57 (12,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 12:37:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

bravisha wrote:

The SMODA widget KIND OF works, but it really doesn't just force the phone to use the Edge network. When I turn of 3G using it, my phone can now not sync to receive emails. It's only turning off data.

What I want to be able to do is force the phone to use the Edge network, and that doesn't seem to be possible.

This isn't just about battery life. Rather, I found that the phone actually works better for most things on the Edge network except for download rate. There have been times that I couldn't make a call with 3G (with full bars) and could with Edge.

bravisha wrote:

The SMODA widget KIND OF works, but it really doesn't just force the phone to use the Edge network. When I turn of 3G using it, my phone can now not sync to receive emails. It's only turning off data.

What I want to be able to do is force the phone to use the Edge network, and that doesn't seem to be possible.

This isn't just about battery life. Rather, I found that the phone actually works better for most things on the Edge network except for download rate. There have been times that I couldn't make a call with 3G (with full bars) and could with Edge.

39 of 57 (12,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2010 7:59:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Very frustrating that I can't force a switch to EDGE, both the Captivate and the Epix seem to prefer to try for a non-existant 3G signal at my house rather than use EDGE, at least with the Epix I could force it into edge. My Fuze and N97 have no problems with switching to edge.

Very frustrating that I can't force a switch to EDGE, both the Captivate and the Epix seem to prefer to try for a non-existant 3G signal at my house rather than use EDGE, at least with the Epix I could force it into edge. My Fuze and N97 have no problems with switching to edge.

40 of 57 (11,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 6:26:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

From the XDA forums:

Enter the Phone app.
Dial *#*#197328640#*#*
Select [1] DEBUG SCREEN
Select [8] PHONE CONTROL
Select [4] UE STATE CONTROL

If you want 2G, select:
[3] CHANGE RAT TO GSM

If you want 3G, select:
[2] CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA

Hope this helps.

From the XDA forums:

Enter the Phone app.
Dial *#*#197328640#*#*
Select [1] DEBUG SCREEN
Select [8] PHONE CONTROL

If you want 2G, select:
[3] CHANGE RAT TO GSM

If you want 3G, select:
[2] CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA

Hope this helps.

41 of 57 (12,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 6:19:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

Seems to work fine for me, thanks. It's a little annoying to have to type that all in and not just have a simple toggle.

Seems to work fine for me, thanks. It's a little annoying to have to type that all in and not just have a simple toggle.

42 of 57 (12,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 2:23:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Free SMODA Widget worked for me (Captivate -i897)

hxxp://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/smoda-widget_gxcz.html

Hope this helps someone

Free SMODA Widget worked for me (Captivate -i897)

hxxp://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/smoda-widget_gxcz.html

Hope this helps someone

43 of 57 (11,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 6:45:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

SMODA works like a charm on my captivate, as far as I can tell. I live in a spot where I barely get a 3g signal, and it ALWAYS drops my calls and txt messages fail. When I had my iphone before this I could shut it off because the E network signal was fine. So I can tell right away that the app works because my signal bars are 3-4 now which, hopefully, means I'm connected to the E network.

SMODA works like a charm on my captivate, as far as I can tell. I live in a spot where I barely get a 3g signal, and it ALWAYS drops my calls and txt messages fail. When I had my iphone before this I could shut it off because the E network signal was fine. So I can tell right away that the app works because my signal bars are 3-4 now which, hopefully, means I'm connected to the E network.

44 of 57 (11,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 6:10:59 AM
(0)
Professor

SMODA doesn't turn off 3G, it disables all data, which is undesirable. The procedure posted by blackviper71 is the best way to turn off 3G and still keep a data connection. Save the code as a contact, and when you start entering *#*.. the contact will pop up and you can select it without entering the whole code.

The only thing I would change in the instructions is going back to 3G. The normal state of the phone is Dual, but using CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA sets your phone to UMTS only, so you might not get a data connection if you're in an EDGE only area. To go back to default, enable and disable Flight mode.

SMODA doesn't turn off 3G, it disables all data, which is undesirable. The procedure posted by blackviper71 is the best way to turn off 3G and still keep a data connection. Save the code as a contact, and when you start entering *#*.. the contact will pop up and you can select it without entering the whole code.

The only thing I would change in the instructions is going back to 3G. The normal state of the phone is Dual, but using CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA sets your phone to UMTS only, so you might not get a data connection if you're in an EDGE only area. To go back to default, enable and disable Flight mode.

45 of 57 (11,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 12:19:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

blackviper71 wrote:

From the XDA forums:

Enter the Phone app.
Dial *#*#197328640#*#*
Select [1] DEBUG SCREEN
Select [8] PHONE CONTROL

If you want 2G, select:
[3] CHANGE RAT TO GSM

If you want 3G, select:
[2] CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA

Hope this helps.

This is what I was looking for. Now since it is actually possible, there should be an app or a way to make a shortcut.

blackviper71 wrote:

From the XDA forums:

Enter the Phone app.
Dial *#*#197328640#*#*
Select [1] DEBUG SCREEN
Select [8] PHONE CONTROL

If you want 2G, select:
[3] CHANGE RAT TO GSM

If you want 3G, select:
[2] CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA

Hope this helps.

This is what I was looking for. Now since it is actually possible, there should be an app or a way to make a shortcut.

46 of 57 (11,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 8:10:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
This is good! Stupid question though; if I am almost always solidly in edge and seldom come near 3g should I just leave the settings alone?
This is good! Stupid question though; if I am almost always solidly in edge and seldom come near 3g should I just leave the settings alone?

47 of 57 (10,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 6:27:05 AM
(0)
Professor

You can turn it off and leave it off if you choose to. The only time I go back to the setting is when I reboot the phone. The setting does not stay if you reboot or use flight mode.

You can turn it off and leave it off if you choose to. The only time I go back to the setting is when I reboot the phone. The setting does not stay if you reboot or use flight mode.

48 of 57 (10,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 11:08:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

Alternate method that's a little quicker to get to and survives flight mode.  It does still reset when the phone restarts:

Dial *#*#2263#*#*  (mnemonic: *#*#BAND#*#* for band selection)

Select [3] GSM BAND
Select [1] GSM ALL
Select "Select GSM All Bands"
Menu key > END

Alternate method that's a little quicker to get to and survives flight mode.  It does still reset when the phone restarts:

Dial *#*#2263#*#*  (mnemonic: *#*#BAND#*#* for band selection)

Select [3] GSM BAND
Select [1] GSM ALL
Select "Select GSM All Bands"
Menu key > END

Slightly faster way that survives flight mode

49 of 57 (10,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 5:16:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks, this worked for me.
Thanks, this worked for me.

50 of 57 (10,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:08:38 AM
(0)
Tutor
YES! Thank you! Finally I don't have to charge my phone twice a day because of the spotty 3G reception at my work!
YES! Thank you! Finally I don't have to charge my phone twice a day because of the spotty 3G reception at my work!

51 of 57 (6,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 10:41:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am looking for a way to add a shortcut to *#*#2263#*#*

tried adding it to a contact but just dials it on sipdroid

tried LauncherPro activity shortcut, but I can not find it on the list.

any ideas?

I am looking for a way to add a shortcut to *#*#2263#*#*

tried adding it to a contact but just dials it on sipdroid

tried LauncherPro activity shortcut, but I can not find it on the list.

any ideas?

Re: Slightly faster way that survives flight mode

52 of 57 (6,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 1:37:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

There is an application in the marketplace called "SamServMode" that will bring up the service menu on Samsung handsets, which is more convient then having to type the access code into the dailer constantly.

There is an application in the marketplace called "SamServMode" that will bring up the service menu on Samsung handsets, which is more convient then having to type the access code into the dailer constantly.

Re: Slightly faster way that survives flight mode

53 of 57 (6,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 5:13:31 AM
(0)
Professor

You can save a contact, you just can't dial it directly from your contact list. If you save a contact, then start dialing, by the time you get to *#* the phone will display the contact and you can select it.

There's also an app called SGS Tools that has all the known codes and is updated whenever a new code is found.

You can save a contact, you just can't dial it directly from your contact list. If you save a contact, then start dialing, by the time you get to *#* the phone will display the contact and you can select it.

There's also an app called SGS Tools that has all the known codes and is updated whenever a new code is found.

54 of 57 (6,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 9:57:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

It worked! Thanks so much, that was super helpful. & Better than any information I have received.

It worked! Thanks so much, that was super helpful. & Better than any information I have received.

55 of 57 (4,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:52:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

What did they do at the store, because I am unable to send and receive texts now...

What did they do at the store, because I am unable to send and receive texts now...

56 of 57 (4,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 7:33:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

i have tried downloading smoda it installs the disappears...same thing with ANDroid..where does it go

how do i find it ..i want to turn 3g off..sometimes....help..it like it went into space...thanka

i have tried downloading smoda it installs the disappears...same thing with ANDroid..where does it go

how do i find it ..i want to turn 3g off..sometimes....help..it like it went into space...thanka

57 of 57 (4,033 Views)