How to turn off 3G on the Captivate

Teacher

How to turn off 3G on the Captivate

I've been searching and can't find a way to toggle 3G off on the Captivate.

Not only does 3G drain the battery where I am, I've found that the Edge network is more reliable for calls and text messages. I always kept 3G off on my iphone unless I needed to transfer some data where a wi-fi connection wasn't.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 57 (28,717 Views)
GLU
Tutor

Re: How to turn off 3G on the Captivate

I'm in the same boat. I work in a building where the signal is minimal and leaving 3G on kills my battery. I have a computer (who doesn't), so I rarely use data on my phone during the day.

This is enough of an issue for me to consider taking it back, paying the restocking fee and ETF, and moving to T-Mobile or Sprint since I can get pretty much the same phone with either provider.

Message 2 of 57 (28,082 Views)
Teacher

If I take it back, I'm going to argue against the re-stocking fee.

Another reason it's an issue is that I've actually been unable to make 3G calls before - usually in a crowded place or a sporting event - but was able to switch to the Edge network and make a call with no issues.

Message 3 of 57 (28,078 Views)
Mentor

Search web for "turn off 3g on samsung galaxy".  Have not gotten my phone yet but it looks like it might be somewhere around Settings->Wireless and network->Mobile networks.

Let us know if you find it.

Message 4 of 57 (28,061 Views)
GLU
Tutor

[ Edited ]

AT&T had Samsung remove the option to force 2G from the Android settings. I won't speculate why.

It's available on T-Mobile's Vibrant as well as Euro/Asian Galaxy S devices.

Message 5 of 57 (28,054 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Voltaire wrote:

Search web for "turn off 3g on samsung galaxy".  Have not gotten my phone yet but it looks like it might be somewhere around Settings->Wireless and network->Mobile networks.

Let us know if you find it.

It's not on there. Believe me. I've tried about a dozen different ways and solutions. If it's possible, it's likely going to come through some hack or creative app, but the ones I've tried  can't force something that's not there.

Message 6 of 57 (28,045 Views)
Tutor

Have you tried a widget? Slight chance it may work...

Search for: "Switch Network Type 2G / 3G" in the market or appbrain

Message 7 of 57 (28,001 Views)
Teacher

Do you have any suggestions of one that I could try?

The one thing I did do that I thought might work was to create a shortcut using Anycut that went into the phone settings. The only problem is the choice - GSM Only - wasn't available on this phone.

Message 8 of 57 (28,005 Views)
Tutor

Switch Network Type 2G / 3G is the name of the widget.  Here's a link to it in appbrain.com

Message 9 of 57 (28,000 Views)
Teacher

Yep - Tried that one. It doesn't work on this phone.

Message 10 of 57 (27,996 Views)
Mentor

Found the following information on this:

1. One site stated you could set this in two ways (one we know was removed by AT&T):

Go to the phone and press * # * # INFO # * # * or * # * # 4636 #*#*, after it entered into the Phone information and set preferred network type to GSM Only.

And this posting for the Aria which seems to not have the 2G only option either:

Thanks, because of your information I able to summarize what the setting should be to "turn off 3G "/ EDGE network only. 

I found the answer:
- Go to : Setting->Wireless & Mobile Network -> Mobile Networks (set option for roaming networks...) -> Enable always-on mobile (Uses more power on some ...) -> make sure "Check"/enable this one
- Go to : Phone -> type *#*#4636#*#* -> phone information -> change to GSM only. 

And this posting about doing this on the Aria:

Remember, the only problem with selecting GSM only is that on AT&T you can not accept calls while you are D/L data over EDGE.  So this will give you great battery life and conserve data, but you have a lot more calls heading to VM if you don't keep data off until you need to use it.

2. APNdroid (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-google-code-apndroid-jxt.aspx) allows you to stop all data access.  Apparently this will be an option in Froyo and so this app will not be useful after that.

Message 11 of 57 (14,658 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Yep - that's exactly where I was before and GSM Only is not an option for preferred network. It's just not there.

It has

WCDMA only

GSM auto (PRL)

CDMA auto (PRL)

CDMA only

EvDo only

GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) - this is what was selected

Unknown

I've tried them all and it stays on the 3G network in the display.

I do appreciate your help, but I really think it is not possible to force the phone onto 2G.

Message 12 of 57 (14,654 Views)
Guru

The second option is GSM only. Right under WCDMA only.
Message 13 of 57 (14,643 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

davidusr wrote:
The second option is GSM only. Right under WCDMA only.

OK - but when I choose that, the icon at the top of the phone says still says 3G. I let it sit on that one for quite awhile and it never wavered from 3G. Maybe I need to make a call or try pulling some data, but I know that "E" can be displayed at the top because I've seen it when I was in an area where 3G was spotty.

I just tried making a call and pulling some data with that setting and my phone still indicates it's on 3G the entire time.

Message 14 of 57 (14,638 Views)
Teacher

You have to scroll the option window up.  However, I can select GSM only, but it does not save.

Message 15 of 57 (14,637 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.