How to to get HSUPA back to your Focus after the At&t NoDo update

How to to get HSUPA back to your Focus after the At&t NoDo update

• From the number-dial screen:
  • Enter ##634#
  • Diagnostics screen should open.
  • Enter *#32489#
  • Test mode screen should open.
  • Press back at the bottom (bottom right, not the phone's back button)
  • Press 5 for RRC (HSPA) control
  • Press 1 to view what yours is set at (Kyle's was Release 5 HSDPA only)
  • Press 2 to change it.
  • Press 3 to change to Release 6 HSDPA/HSUPA
  • Press [end] to confirm.
  • (not all phones went back to Release 5 for some reason)

http://wmpoweruser.com/nodo-disables-hsupa-on-the-samsung-focus-heres-how-to-restore-it/

Message 1 of 8 (566 Views)
Professor

Re: How to to get HSUPA back to your Focus after the At&t NoDo update

Does this actually change anything other than a label? Is there any evidence that changing the R5/R6 setting actually changes phone speeds?

Message 2 of 8 (543 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Paolo01 wrote:

Does this actually change anything other than a label? Is there any evidence that changing the R5/R6 setting actually changes phone speeds?

Test it yourself by using the free app - BandWidth

zune://navigate/?appID=bd5202c2-c401-e011-9264-00237de2db9e: zune://navigate/?appID=bd5202c2-c401-e0...

The link above opens Zune software for you to download the app.

More information on the app - http://www.wpcentral.com/test-your-windows-phone-7-speed-bandwidth

Message 3 of 8 (523 Views)
Professor

PERMAT wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

Test it yourself by using the free app - BandWidth

zune://navigate/?appID=bd5202c2-c401-e011-9264-00237de2db9e: zune://navigate/?appID=bd5202c2-c401-e0...

The link above opens Zune software for you to download the app.

More information on the app - http://www.wpcentral.com/test-your-windows-phone-7-speed-bandwidth

I tested it. I did not notice anything. That is why I am asking. It would seem to me that it would make no sense for att not to optimize the phones use of their signal. Slower uploads means longer use of bandwidth. I am just curious.

Message 4 of 8 (514 Views)
Master

Paolo01 wrote:

I tested it. I did not notice anything. That is why I am asking. It would seem to me that it would make no sense for att not to optimize the phones use of their signal. Slower uploads means longer use of bandwidth. I am just curious.

Almost all phones released by AT&T, even the latest 4G phone, have the HSUPA intentionally disabled by AT&T, with only one exception iPhones. This is a known fact because AT&T wants to eliminate the possibilities of all these (non-Apple) smartphones clog up its already over congested network.

There many articles and user outcries out there, especially those get coned into the new '4G' phones. For its part, AT&T does responded that it will eventually upate those '4G' phones to re-enable HSUPA.

A HSUPA un-capped 3G phone should see upload speed well in the 1mbps range. Capped phones can only reach 300kbps max.

I've yet to see anyone reported any Focus reach this 1mbps upload speed after enable release 6 HSPA protocol(the method is not new but the code to access the menu is different than the original firmware).

On AT&T Captivate, there is a similar method to enable Release 6 protocol but it does nothing. To uncap the HSUPA, you will have to run custom ROMs with non-US modem firmware. Not sure if the Focus has the same restriction.

Message 5 of 8 (512 Views)
Professor

OK, I need to revise my previous stance on this issue. I have taken a slightly more scientific approach to testing my phone and arrived at the following results. FWIWW when I first updated I was in fact reverted back to Rev 5. I tested using the recommended Bandwidth program at the same location in my house using the Chicago Large transfer.

BLUF: Rev 6 is about twice as fast.

Before under R5, Test 1

Download: .47Mbps

Upload: .14Mbps

Latency: 472 ms

Test 2

Download: .66Mbps

Upload: .16Mbps

Latency: 92 ms

After R6 change, Test 1

Download: 1.00 Mbps

Upload: .45Mbps

Latency: 474 ms

Test 2

Download: .90Mbps

Upload: .43Mbps

Latency: 629 ms

Message 6 of 8 (502 Views)
Master

Sounds like it is working.

Message 7 of 8 (500 Views)

[ Edited ]

I got 1.5Mbps after the R6 change before it I was getting .33Mbps

/I did this around 1 am

Message 8 of 8 (458 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.