Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 22, 2009
10:23:17 AM
View profile
How to retrieve voicemail remotes without dialing my own number?

I need to retrieve my voicemail without dialing my own number to access it. This is because I get awful wireless service in my house, so the way I connect in my house is using Skype for iPhone to dial numbers. But if I dial my own number using Skype, my phone will start ringing (I get enough service for it to ring but not actually hear a conversation well) and the connection will be broken.

So is there a different number I can call to input my phone number/password and check my voicemail? Unique situation, I know, but there must be a way! 

I need to retrieve my voicemail without dialing my own number to access it. This is because I get awful wireless service in my house, so the way I connect in my house is using Skype for iPhone to dial numbers. But if I dial my own number using Skype, my phone will start ringing (I get enough service for it to ring but not actually hear a conversation well) and the connection will be broken.

So is there a different number I can call to input my phone number/password and check my voicemail? Unique situation, I know, but there must be a way! 

How to retrieve voicemail remotes without dialing my own number?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 1:37:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you dial your VM platform number from some other line and press pound (#), you should be prompted for your mailbox (i.e., your cell number) and your VM password.

If you don't know your VM platform number, either 1) look for it somewhere in your iPhone settings, 2) maybe it's displayed when you dial in for voicemails, or 3) retrieve it via <star><pound>67<pound> <send>  Since I don't own an iPhone, I can't really tell you with great authority which of those methods will work in your case.

If you don't know your VM password, well, that's a different problem.  That implies that you're set to autologin when VM detects that you're calling from your own phone.  It may be the last 7 digits of your cell number (I think that's a default), or (on standard VM anyway), you can call from your cell and change it through menus (personal options, press 4 followed by password, press 2), etc.

Hope this helps!

Dave

If you dial your VM platform number from some other line and press pound (#), you should be prompted for your mailbox (i.e., your cell number) and your VM password.

If you don't know your VM platform number, either 1) look for it somewhere in your iPhone settings, 2) maybe it's displayed when you dial in for voicemails, or 3) retrieve it via <star><pound>67<pound> <send>  Since I don't own an iPhone, I can't really tell you with great authority which of those methods will work in your case.

If you don't know your VM password, well, that's a different problem.  That implies that you're set to autologin when VM detects that you're calling from your own phone.  It may be the last 7 digits of your cell number (I think that's a default), or (on standard VM anyway), you can call from your cell and change it through menus (personal options, press 4 followed by password, press 2), etc.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Re: How to retrieve voicemail remotes without dialing my own number?

2 of 7 (9,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 2:18:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
I do not know how to access my VM platform number, so any information on how to find that would be much appreciated.
I do not know how to access my VM platform number, so any information on how to find that would be much appreciated.

3 of 7 (9,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 2:42:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by kdfederer on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:42:52 PM

The VM platform number is the number that your phone dials to access your voicemail.

It is programmed in your phone under the voicemail number.

Or have your phone dial voicemail and check to see what number it is dialing.

Message Edited by kdfederer on 09-22-2009 04:42:52 PM
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

The VM platform number is the number that your phone dials to access your voicemail.

It is programmed in your phone under the voicemail number.

Or have your phone dial voicemail and check to see what number it is dialing.

Message Edited by kdfederer on 09-22-2009 04:42:52 PM
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (9,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 7:03:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am dialing my own number. . . that is the only thing my phone shows. I will have to try to call ATT about this. Unfortunately, what you are telling me is not leading me to the solution. Thanks for trying though.
I am dialing my own number. . . that is the only thing my phone shows. I will have to try to call ATT about this. Unfortunately, what you are telling me is not leading me to the solution. Thanks for trying though.

5 of 7 (9,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 8:35:39 PM
(0)
Professor
Call your number and wait till it goes to voicemail... Once you hear "Your call has being forwarded to VN etc..." hit star ( * ) it will ask you to enter your Voicemail Password... Now you can check your Voicemails from any phone:smileywink:
Call your number and wait till it goes to voicemail... Once you hear "Your call has being forwarded to VN etc..." hit star ( * ) it will ask you to enter your Voicemail Password... Now you can check your Voicemails from any phone:smileywink:

6 of 7 (9,119 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2009 2:46:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Jensen_G,

I thought I was pretty clear in my previous post.  I've since verified this with another iPhone user, that it works for them like all other GSM phones do.

Dial <star><pound>67<pound>, then hit the 'Call' button (I said 'send' in my previous post, sorry).  (If you need me to explain this further, <star> is the asterisk on the bottom left of the keypad, <pound> is the tic-tac-toe on the bottom right.)

You'll get a page back that tells you what VM platform number your calls are forwarded to for busy, no answer, out of service, etc.

That's the phone number you're looking for.  It'll probably have a '+1' prefix on it, they always seem to.  Just ignore that and focus on the area-code and number.  In Atlanta, it's all ten-digit dialling anyway - but I don't know where you are.  Dial that number from your landline, desk phone, payphone, whatever.  At the initial voice prompt, press <pound>, enter your cellphone number when it asks for your mailbox, then enter your password when it asks for that.  It's just like any other voicemail system, really.

Good luck!

Dave

Jensen_G,

I thought I was pretty clear in my previous post.  I've since verified this with another iPhone user, that it works for them like all other GSM phones do.

Dial <star><pound>67<pound>, then hit the 'Call' button (I said 'send' in my previous post, sorry).  (If you need me to explain this further, <star> is the asterisk on the bottom left of the keypad, <pound> is the tic-tac-toe on the bottom right.)

You'll get a page back that tells you what VM platform number your calls are forwarded to for busy, no answer, out of service, etc.

That's the phone number you're looking for.  It'll probably have a '+1' prefix on it, they always seem to.  Just ignore that and focus on the area-code and number.  In Atlanta, it's all ten-digit dialling anyway - but I don't know where you are.  Dial that number from your landline, desk phone, payphone, whatever.  At the initial voice prompt, press <pound>, enter your cellphone number when it asks for your mailbox, then enter your password when it asks for that.  It's just like any other voicemail system, really.

Good luck!

Dave

7 of 7 (8,912 Views)