Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 17, 2008
8:14:18 AM
View profile
How to get MMS on Blackberry Pearl without purchasing DATA PLAN
Hello people, i am new to the forums, i have had my phone for a year now, and decided to start using MMS but i cannot compose MMS, i have unlimited messaging with texts,mms, viedo, etc.... Spoke with cingular they want me to purchase plan for 29.99-39.99, that is to much money.

Does anyone else know how to put MMS on the phone without purchasing plan??

PLEASE HELP!!!
Hello people, i am new to the forums, i have had my phone for a year now, and decided to start using MMS but i cannot compose MMS, i have unlimited messaging with texts,mms, viedo, etc.... Spoke with cingular they want me to purchase plan for 29.99-39.99, that is to much money.

Does anyone else know how to put MMS on the phone without purchasing plan??

PLEASE HELP!!!

How to get MMS on Blackberry Pearl without purchasing DATA PLAN

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2008 8:44:03 AM
(0)
Professor
MMS uses data, which requires a data plan. No data plan, no MMS.
MMS uses data, which requires a data plan. No data plan, no MMS.

Re: How to get MMS on Blackberry Pearl without purchasing DATA PLAN

2 of 15 (16,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2008 9:00:06 AM
(0)
Contributor
=( .... grrrr.... oh well... thank you very much
=( .... grrrr.... oh well... thank you very much

3 of 15 (16,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2008 10:08:27 AM
(0)
Professor
You're very welcome.

Sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for.
You're very welcome.

Sorry it wasn't the answer you were looking for.

4 of 15 (16,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2008 3:43:07 PM
(0)
Professor
I have had  success sending and receiving MMS messages by doing 2 things;
1. Make sure data services are enabled.
2. Click on Media Net and open that page. Close Media Net.

After doing this both my daughter's  Pearl and my Curve were able to send and receive MMS message.

I don't know if this will work for everyone but it is worth a shot.

This worked on my AT&T Blackberrys but not on my unlocked BB8320 from T-Mobile that I use with my AT&T SIM.

After doing this both my daughter's  Pearl and my Curve were able to send and receive MMS message.

This worked on my AT&T Blackberrys but not on my unlocked BB8320 from T-Mobile that I use with my AT&T SIM.

5 of 15 (16,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2008 11:13:53 AM
(0)
Teacher
Right now there is no way but there will be a software update in a couple months to enable all blackberries to send MMS without the data plan
Right now there is no way but there will be a software update in a couple months to enable all blackberries to send MMS without the data plan

6 of 15 (16,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2008 4:39:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

mballs4life wrote:

Can someone confirm this? Where did you hear this from? Thanks...

Will my unlocked 8320 from t-mobile be able to receive this software update automatically when it becomes available? Or... what will I have to do?

mballs4life wrote:

Can someone confirm this? Where did you hear this from? Thanks...

Will my unlocked 8320 from t-mobile be able to receive this software update automatically when it becomes available? Or... what will I have to do?

7 of 15 (16,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2008 5:04:58 PM
(0)
Professor
I have not seen anything about this. I actually replied to another post where he said the same thing but I never got a response on where he heard/read it.
I have not seen anything about this. I actually replied to another post where he said the same thing but I never got a response on where he heard/read it.

8 of 15 (16,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2008 5:10:43 PM
(0)
Professor
Using an unlocked 8320 for T-mobile on AT&T likely will not work for MMS text without a data plan, even with an update. I have not been able to get my unlocked 8320 to do MMS texts but have been able to with my AT&T Pearl, 8300 and 8310 without a data plan. You can use other carriers handheld software  as long as it is for the model you have.

For additional information and support of Blackberry devices and more on handheld software updates:
http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/
http://www.blackberryforums.com/
Using an unlocked 8320 for T-mobile on AT&T likely will not work for MMS text without a data plan, even with an update. I have not been able to get my unlocked 8320 to do MMS texts but have been able to with my AT&T Pearl, 8300 and 8310 without a data plan. You can use other carriers handheld software  as long as it is for the model you have.

For additional information and support of Blackberry devices and more on handheld software updates:

9 of 15 (16,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 7:46:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

Dream Rider wrote:

I will need to try this, thanks. hope it works.

Dream Rider wrote:

10 of 15 (16,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2008 8:04:17 PM
(0)
Professor

ripleyr1 wrote:

Dream Rider wrote:

I now believe that updating the handheld software has made the difference. AT&T has a recent update for the 8300, but not the Pearl. To get an update for the Pearl another carriers handheld software in needed. My 8310 seems to do mms with out a data plan as does my updated Pearl. My old 8300 worked for mms after the software update..

For additional information on handheld software from other carriers, instruction on how upgrade, and support of Blackberry devices:

ripleyr1 wrote:

Dream Rider wrote:

I now believe that updating the handheld software has made the difference. AT&T has a recent update for the 8300, but not the Pearl. To get an update for the Pearl another carriers handheld software in needed. My 8310 seems to do mms with out a data plan as does my updated Pearl. My old 8300 worked for mms after the software update..

For additional information on handheld software from other carriers, instruction on how upgrade, and support of Blackberry devices:

11 of 15 (9,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 6:08:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
lol AT&T is full of crap they said that i needed a data plan for MMS or else i won't be able to use my unlimited plan at all this isn't the case when you connect your blackberry to your computer and update it with the desktop manager it's gonna give you the option for MMS along with e-mail and all that other stuff so i've been sending pictures and people get em so if they try and say there is no way to do it tell em they are wrong cause u can use MMS and SMS and instant messengers with your pearl though i would set that straight
lol AT&T is full of crap they said that i needed a data plan for MMS or else i won't be able to use my unlimited plan at all this isn't the case when you connect your blackberry to your computer and update it with the desktop manager it's gonna give you the option for MMS along with e-mail and all that other stuff so i've been sending pictures and people get em so if they try and say there is no way to do it tell em they are wrong cause u can use MMS and SMS and instant messengers with your pearl though i would set that straight

12 of 15 (9,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 7:48:10 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by takeshi on Feb 26, 2008 at 7:49:36 AM
It was required on all carriers in the beginning.  They're not full of crap -- just relying on outdated information.  TMO took the approach of offering a free "Blackberry feature enabler" that provided the needed data services for MMS on a BB without a BB data plan.

OS updates are not automatically pushed.  You basically need to download the new OS, install the file on your PC, delete vendor.xml (close Desktop Manager first) if it's a different carrier's OS, connect your BB to update the OS, and push service books to the BB once the upgrade is complete.

Message Edited by takeshi on 02-26-2008 07:49:36 AM
It was required on all carriers in the beginning.  They're not full of crap -- just relying on outdated information.  TMO took the approach of offering a free "Blackberry feature enabler" that provided the needed data services for MMS on a BB without a BB data plan.

OS updates are not automatically pushed.  You basically need to download the new OS, install the file on your PC, delete vendor.xml (close Desktop Manager first) if it's a different carrier's OS, connect your BB to update the OS, and push service books to the BB once the upgrade is complete.

Message Edited by takeshi on 02-26-2008 07:49:36 AM

[ Edited ]
13 of 15 (9,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2008 11:53:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
Keep in mind that most phones can send and receive MMS without a data plan, but you are charged for any data sent or received by the kilobyte, as MMS are data.
Keep in mind that most phones can send and receive MMS without a data plan, but you are charged for any data sent or received by the kilobyte, as MMS are data.

14 of 15 (8,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2008 5:41:25 AM
(0)
Expert

jevangil wrote:

That is not completely correct, you have to have at the least the payper use data package, thus able to use internet, but charged as you stated by the KB, if data is not on the account at all, all data traffic is stopped.

jevangil wrote:

That is not completely correct, you have to have at the least the payper use data package, thus able to use internet, but charged as you stated by the KB, if data is not on the account at all, all data traffic is stopped.

15 of 15 (8,906 Views)