How to disable the PTT button on the Samsung Rugby A837

Contributor

How to disable the PTT button on the Samsung Rugby A837

Tired of having the phone functions halt while you tell the phone you do not want to activate your (unwanted now and forever) PTT account?

Can't avoid the PTT button on the side when you pick up the phone?

I found this on another forum- I don't remember which one. This is for people who really hate having PTT try to start when they pick up the phone because there is no going back.

Use a thin knife blade or similar to pry out the PTT button from the keypad side of the buttonIt is just a cover over the real buttonCarefully cut off the the little protrusion on the undersideThat is what activates the actual PTT button inside the phonePush the button cover back in placeNow when you touch the PTT button it won't start.

Richard

Message 1 of 5 (16,827 Views)
Contributor

Re: How to disable the PTT button on the Samsung Rugby A837

For some reason I could not pull up the phone's PTT menu. So, I used your suggestion but, slightly modified the approach.. Instead of completely removing the PTT button's push pin I used small diagonal cutters ( could use finger nail nippers ) to remove only half of the push pin. My thinking was that leaving a portion of the puch pin on the PTT button would help keep the button in place and prevent it from popping off.

JP.

Message 2 of 5 (16,393 Views)
Contributor

Thank you!

Message 3 of 5 (15,949 Views)
Contributor

It worked!  I used a box cutter to pry out the button, then nail clippers to cut off the thin knob on the back, and replaced the outer button.  What an annoying feature that is.  You can't hold the phone without thereby pressing the button and (potentially) incurring charges.  Thanks for the lead.

Message 4 of 5 (9,383 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I just super glued the button and also the speaker button on the oposite side.

Message 5 of 5 (6,884 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.