How to close programs on Android phones?

How to close programs on Android phones?

My uncle has an HTC One X and would like to know how to close programs on this android phone.

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: How to close programs on Android phones?

From the saving battery tips:

1. KILL APPS USING TASK MANAGER

Notice or not but there are a lot of apps and services running in the background of your phone that suck a lot of battery and most of them are apps that you wouldn't need so killing those processes can increase your battery life.
To kill apps you have to access the task manager:
Press home icon>all apps>search for task manager and launch it.
Now you have the option of killing separate apps (press X on the process you want to end) or just ending the all by touching the stop all button.

2. Closing open Apps

A great feature in htc one x is also that you switch between open apps but it can also take a lot of battery depending on how many Apps you =have open.
How to close open Apps:
Touch the recent app button (in right to the home button)> now swipe the open Apps (the ones you want to close) to the top.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Mentor

If there is no option in apps menu, use back arrow, otherwise shouldn't really worry about it
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the information.  I do have one more question about the HTC One X.  My uncle showed me his phone and it read there was an operating system update available, but when he tried to go to the appropriate area to get it, the phone will not do anything.  It will not le thim download the update.  Why is that?

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I do have one more question about the HTC One X.  My uncle showed me his phone and it read there was an operating system update available, but when he tried to go to the appropriate area to get it, the phone will not do anything.  It will not le thim download the update.  Why is that?

Does he get any errors? The update can be installed manually as described here, but with manual update all of the data will be lost, so it's imperative that everything is backed up prior to following through.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7
Professor

dmapr wrote:

Does he get any errors? 

Yes, dmapr raises a good question:  how does the phone respond when you check for an update?  Does it say there is no update, or does it act like its downloading it, or give an error message?

What software version is the device currently on (Settings>About>Software information, and look under "Software number). 

There are a number of reasons why you might not get the update.  One might be if an OTA was missed (they have to be installed in sequence, with none skipped) in which case a 2nd tier customer support agent can possibly re-push the "missed" update.

Or as dmapr suggested, you might need to RUU to update, or sometimes doing a factory reset will make the OTA install.  Both of which (RUU or factory reset) will cause you to lose personal data.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Professor

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

My uncle has an HTC One X and would like to know how to close programs on this android phone.

Unless an app is improperly coded and runaway (and these are the exceptions), it should not be using much power or resources in the background.  Android does not work the same as Windows, and killing tasks willy-nilly will not necessarily gain you anything, and can actually hurt performance.

http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/

Typically, just pressing the Home button on the phone is enought to suspend the program.  You don't actually need to kill it.  Memory management will keep the app "suspended" in memory in case you open it again soon (allows it to load faster), or else it will dump it if the memory is needed for other tasks.  Just let Android manage the memory the way its supposed to.

If you really need to close an app, the proper way to stop an app is within the app itself.  Take Pandora as an example.  Pandora is made to be able to play music even if you press the home button (so you can do other things while listening to music).  The best way to exit this and similar programs is to hit the "Menu" button and select "Quit".

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support