Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 2, 2011
8:08:35 PM
View profile
How to buy non-contract phone?

I have AT&T Family plan, how can i buy non-contract phone without data plan (one that requires data-plan (not iphone). When i see details about any of the smart phones they tell me it requires data-plan. Is it possible to buy one without a data-plan? It so, how?

As a side note, shopping experience is horrible here! If a phone requries a data plan, why not specify it along with all the phones that require it? Why only iphone has that note under it? Also, where is the filter for selecting a phone that doesn't require data-plan?

I have AT&T Family plan, how can i buy non-contract phone without data plan (one that requires data-plan (not iphone). When i see details about any of the smart phones they tell me it requires data-plan. Is it possible to buy one without a data-plan? It so, how?

As a side note, shopping experience is horrible here! If a phone requries a data plan, why not specify it along with all the phones that require it? Why only iphone has that note under it? Also, where is the filter for selecting a phone that doesn't require data-plan?

How to buy non-contract phone?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 8:23:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It is impossible for you to purchase a smartphone and not have a data plan associated with it. A data plan for all smartphones is necessary for use. There is no way around it. The only exception would be if you were to use a smartphone on prepaid (which is what I am using). The data plan for smartphones would no longer apply, then. But for postpaid, if you try to sneak using a smartphone without a data plan attached to it, AT&T's detection system will detect that you are using a smartphone without a data plan. They reserve the right to add the appropriate plan to your account, possibly without your consent.

Quick search on "Quick Messaging"/QMDs:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?feacondition=allphones&fe...

These phones do not require a mandatory data plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

It is impossible for you to purchase a smartphone and not have a data plan associated with it. A data plan for all smartphones is necessary for use. There is no way around it. The only exception would be if you were to use a smartphone on prepaid (which is what I am using). The data plan for smartphones would no longer apply, then. But for postpaid, if you try to sneak using a smartphone without a data plan attached to it, AT&T's detection system will detect that you are using a smartphone without a data plan. They reserve the right to add the appropriate plan to your account, possibly without your consent.

Quick search on "Quick Messaging"/QMDs:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?feacondition=allphones&feaavailable=allphones&feapaytype=standard&startFilter=false&typcat2020082=cat2020082&allFeatures=on&allManus=on#fbid=UujVLkMCqNB

These phones do not require a mandatory data plan.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How to buy non-contract phone?

2 of 6 (2,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 5:11:09 AM
(0)
Expert

Add to the fact all of the phones listed as smartphones have the data requirement listed on them also

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?feacondition=allphones&fe...

3 of 6 (2,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 4:49:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Add to the fact all of the phones listed as smartphones have the data requirement listed on them also

Unfortunately if you are using the Premier website it is more difficult - you have to actually go into each individual phone's "overview" page to see if it carries a data plan requirement.  And while I haven't checked recently, there have been quite a few instances noted where a data plan requirement wasn't indicated for particular "smartphones" at the Premier website. Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

wingrider01 wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?feacondition=allphones&feaavailable=allphones&feapaytype=standard&startFilter=false&typcat1003=cat1003&allFeatures=on&allManus=on#fbid=liyag1jkvGg

Unfortunately if you are using the Premier website it is more difficult - you have to actually go into each individual phone's "overview" page to see if it carries a data plan requirement.  And while I haven't checked recently, there have been quite a few instances noted where a data plan requirement wasn't indicated for particular "smartphones" at the Premier website. Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (2,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 9:08:05 AM
(0)
Expert

hme83 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I never link to the premier site and the employee that handles orderig from that site for the company already is aware of the phones that are on our permitted list - and that they all require a data plan

hme83 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?feacondition=allphones&feaavailable=allphones&feapaytype=standard&startFilter=false&typcat1003=cat1003&allFeatures=on&allManus=on#fbid=liyag1jkvGg

I never link to the premier site and the employee that handles orderig from that site for the company already is aware of the phones that are on our permitted list - and that they all require a data plan

5 of 6 (2,420 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 4:07:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

hme83 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

My point was that depending on the OP's plan, they may not be seeing the "regular" website where the data plan requirements can be seen when viewing multiple devices. Smiley Wink  Individual responsibility user ("personal") accounts are also directed to the Premier website - it's not just for devices being purchased directly by a business entity.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

wingrider01 wrote:

hme83 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

My point was that depending on the OP's plan, they may not be seeing the "regular" website where the data plan requirements can be seen when viewing multiple devices. Smiley Wink  Individual responsibility user ("personal") accounts are also directed to the Premier website - it's not just for devices being purchased directly by a business entity.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

6 of 6 (2,389 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments