How to activate a replacement phone for one that's lost.

Contributor

How to activate a replacement phone for one that's lost.

Friends:

I recently left my cell on a plane and anticipate getting it back sometime in the distant future.  In the interim I bought a go phone with the intention of activating it on the same phone number as my lost one.  Since I can't call, how do I accomplisht this online?

I'm a very frustrated non-geek.  I've wasted 2 hours trying to navigate to AT&T's tech chat just as it closed down for the night!

Message 1 of 5
Professor

Re: How to activate a replacement phone for one that's lost.

dwmccowan wrote:

Friends:

I recently left my cell on a plane and anticipate getting it back sometime in the distant future.  In the interim I bought a go phone with the intention of activating it on the same phone number as my lost one.  Since I can't call, how do I accomplisht this online?

I'm a very frustrated non-geek.  I've wasted 2 hours trying to navigate to AT&T's tech chat just as it closed down for the night!

I do not believe that you can activate the go phone with you current number online. I think that you need to use a landline and speak to customer service at 800-331-0500. They are nost likely going to want to speak to you to congfirm information.

However, keep checking this post as one of the other members might have better information for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 2 of 5
Professor

Buying a Go Phone for use on a post paid account is against AT&T's TOS.
Message 3 of 5
Professor

Ask you friends if they have an unused Cingular or AT&T branded phone.  Then you need a new, never been activated SIM card.  It just takes a quick call to Care to activate it.  If you get the SIM from a store they can activate it there.  A COR store may give you a SIM for free.

Keeping a spare phone and SIM on hand is a good idea.  You can be back in business with just a phone call.

Message 4 of 5
Explorer

If both phones are prepaid gophone, you can call customer service 611.

Get a new go phone package that comes with a SIM card.

Tell them you have a new sim card/phone you want to add to your account.

Provide Sim number, and IMEI number (under battery on phone)

With them changing the sim card from old to your new one will make your

new sim card associated with your new number.

The IMEI lets csr know what your phone is when or if you have a tech problem.

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support