Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to Remove ATT message after personal greeting

Highlighted
Tutor

How to Remove ATT message after personal greeting

I would like to remove the ATT message after my personal greeting plays. For example: I record my short message as: "Hi it's Bob please leave me your message", Then ATT says "At the tone please record your message, after recording you may hang up or press 1 for more options" What planet do people live on where they don't know to wait for the beep ! I just want to have my personal greeting the beep and record. It would be much shorter and to the point. Any suggestions? CS can't figure it out. Thanks!
Message 1 of 16
Mentor

Re: How to Remove ATT message after personal greeting

I highly doubt that there is a way to remove that. But, I could be wrong. I know how you feel about that. Smiley Wink Good Luck! -Jimmy
Message 2 of 16
ACE - Expert

@llamasnet wrote:
I would like to remove the ATT message after my personal greeting plays. For example: I record my short message as: "Hi it's Bob please leave me your message", Then ATT says "At the tone please record your message, after recording you may hang up or press 1 for more options" What planet do people live on where they don't know to wait for the beep ! I just want to have my personal greeting the beep and record. It would be much shorter and to the point. Any suggestions? CS can't figure it out. Thanks!

The best option for you is to change your short message to “Hi it's Bob. Press the pound key to leave me a message.” That'll skip right into the VM leaving mode, bypassing all the AT&T post-greeting nonsense.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 16
Tutor

Just wanted to bump this.  I know I've called AT&T customers before and they did NOT have the extra "after the tone, please..." greeting after their personal greeting.  How can this be removed?
Message 4 of 16
Professor

@dlautman wrote:
Just wanted to bump this.  I know I've called AT&T customers before and they did NOT have the extra "after the tone, please..." greeting after their personal greeting.  How can this be removed?

AT&T will not remove the automated voice greeting. As stated before, the only way to bypass the automated voice is to change your greeting advising the caller to press the pound key to go directlly to leaving a message.

"hi, this is Fred, press the # key to leave a message."

When the caller presses the # key, it will allow them to leave a message and not have to listen to the automated voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 5 of 16
Scholar

The # thing is great to know. Thanks for this thread. =)

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 16
Professor

@Ms.Thang 636 wrote:
The # thing is great to know. Thanks for this thread. =)

It is nice to have this ability to by-pass the drawn-out recording, especially if you have friends that get their minutes eaten up by it.

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 7 of 16
Tutor

@ghostryder wrote:

@dlautman wrote:

AT&T will not remove the automated voice greeting. As stated before, the only way to bypass the automated voice is to change your greeting advising the caller to press the pound key to go directlly to leaving a message.

"hi, this is Fred, press the # key to leave a message."

When the caller presses the # key, it will allow them to leave a message and not have to listen to the automated voice.

Ghostryder -- I know for a fact that some AT&T customers do not have the automated voice greeting. If AT&T does not remove it, how come some people have it and some don't?  A common link to all my friends who don't have the automated greeting: they all have iPhones purchased at an Apple store. Perhaps numbers linked to SIM cards purchased at the Apple store somehow don't have the automated greeting attached to their voice mail account?

Message 8 of 16
Tutor

UPDATE

Mystery solved.  After calling AT&T twice I got a response: some accounts are on an older voice mail platform that has the option to NOT have the automated greeting.  However, if you are not already on that voice mail platform, you cannot be transferred to it, and therefor you have to have the greeting.  I guess it depends on when you activated your account!

Message 9 of 16
Professor

@dlautman wrote:

UPDATE

Mystery solved.  After calling AT&T twice I got a response: some accounts are on an older voice mail platform that has the option to NOT have the automated greeting.  However, if you are not already on that voice mail platform, you cannot be transferred to it, and therefor you have to have the greeting.  I guess it depends on when you activated your account!

Good work getting the answer from CS

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 10 of 16
Tutor

@ghostryder wrote:

@dlautman wrote:

UPDATE

Good work getting the answer from CS

Still don't understand why they had the option for a while and then removed it... and why only iphone users had the option ever.  weird.

Message 11 of 16
Contributor

I had the same problem. Go to your voicemail... listen to them. Save, save, save them. Delete or whatever you need to do and you'll finally get to the end of the messages. THEN, you will hear a series of questions including... "do you want to change your greeting?" Click on the appropriate number or sign... star/pound, etc. You can then have an automated message left on your greeting.. or you can choose to personalize it. If you personalize it, you will record your own message. Again, follow the prompts and you will then have it automatically on your phone.

Hope this helps

Message 12 of 16
Contributor

The point is, why is AT&T the lone holdout among wireless companies that have relented and removed the senseless, aggravating, maddening canned message after personal greetings??!! We don't want it, we don't need it, and we don't want to pay for it!

That said, you should be able to add this to your personal greeting on AT&T phones: "Press 1 to skip to the beep."

If you want to stay informed about this issue, check out David Pogue's on-goingI campaign to Take Back The Beep:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/the-mandatory-15-second-voicemail-instructions/?apage=19#c...

In this blog, updated frequently, you'll note that Mark Siedel is managing AT&T's complaint department for this particular question. {personal infomation edited}

Message 13 of 16
Contributor

When I first got my new iPhone 3G, at the Apple Store, indeed I didn't have that god-forsaken message attached to my OGM. I thought that it was because iPhone users were presumed intelligent, and perhaps even the people calling them were intelligent, and that added "wait for the tone" message was unneeded. It was a major blessing.

Then I lost my iPhone. Maybe not so smart after all, you're probably thinking. Oh well, it was a late night, I was tired, with a group of people, on the subway, I was distracted... but that's history. I temporarily replaced the iPhone with "any old phone," and took care of this at the local AT&T branch. From then on, I was back to the "AT&T lady" announcement.

Now I have an iPhone again, and I just assumed that I didn't have that message going on. But lo and behold, I just happened to call my cell phone today and let it play all the way through, and there was that stupid message tacked onto my lovely brief OGM...

So yes, it's probably that the phones bought and activated at an Apple store were using a different server, and maybe that server is no longer available? Who knows. But I believe that Apple and AT&T are actually not the ones in control here. I read an article I think in the Wall Street Journal fairly recently about a separate company that provides voicemail access services to these carriers, and it's most likely THAT company that has this message and software that can't leave well enough alone. It's just one more thing, together with bad connections, calls dropping and barely understandable sound fidelity, that is just completely taking away any possible joy one might have had in talking on the phone in the past. I frankly don't know how people do it nowadays. If I'm not on a Skype-to-Skype call, I can barely stomach it. 

Message 14 of 16
Former Moderator
Moved:

Paging Options to reduce greeting length

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support